What's new

Phantasialand | Taron | Intamin launched

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Still looks like a messy pile of dried grey poo, but I think this coaster is gonna be a winner in terms of overall experience. Those trains are already shifting and it's still only testing!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Drooling! I like they left the launch fails in the video, such a refreshing video rather than slickly edited "perfect" videos. That aside, it moves rather majestically doesn't it? Potential top 20 for me methinks. As for the music, yes it nice, but it's the same kind of sound that I associate with coasters. I'd love to hear something really original to match this sexy looking coaster.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
There are videos of Xcelerator at Knotts doing the same thing when it started testing. I guess rather than start off with a full speed launch, they do a few low speed runs to get things warmed up. I don't think they were real 'fails'
But man, I need to get myself back to Phanta...

Martyn B

CF Legend
For a split second I had terrifying visions of the triple launch on Premiers......

But damn that thing is flying round already!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ian said:
I like they left the launch fails in the video, such a refreshing video rather than slickly edited "perfect" videos.
CanobieFan said:
There are videos of Xcelerator at Knotts doing the same thing when it started testing. I guess rather than start off with a full speed launch, they do a few low speed runs to get things warmed up.
Martyn B said:
For a split second I had terrifying visions of the triple launch on Premiers......
Warmed up, failing, or multiple launch passes, is probably the wrong way of thinking about it.

To a launch system, a roll-back is the worst case scenario. A fail of power during the launch (power cut, controls failure, cable snap, fluid leak, etc) means the train won't be heading into the first element at full speed. If you were testing a coaster, you'd want to make sure that the coaster could stop from one of these scenarios first, before you went ahead and tested it at full speed.

The analogy would be: if you're testing a high speed car, what do you test first? The acceleration, to ensure you can get too 200mph? Or the brakes to make sure you can stop? I know which one I'd rather test first!

In doing these "slow" launches, they're making sure the controls system and hardware is capable of dealing with the "worst case" scenario. If the train doesn't make it past the first hill, the launch track has to make sure the train doesn't rush back into the station backwards. If the train can clear the first hill but then stalls, a set of sensors on the track should tell the software when the train hasn't made it to the next block, and therefore not launch the next train.

A "failed" launch is most of the testing of launched coasters, making sure a roll-back scenario is safe.

Dar

Hyper Poster
A short video of some full circuit testing has appeared on YouTube. Not sure how long it's going to stay up, Phantasialand seem intent on having no trace of testing online.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DOkxCK9K-I[/youtubevid]

Lofty

CF Legend
It looks good fun - will it be the most intense and best thing out there? Absolutely not, but I think it'll thrill all of the family. Great addition to the park's lineup I think.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Raik's train:
header_raik.jpg

<3

peep

CF Legend
I think the artwork might be different to the real deal? The article they just released says about making it so kids can see everything.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
^ That's a photo manipulation, you know, as in the image you see is of the real train and the background has been manipulated somewhat. Same as what they did with Taron's.

It potentially is just the angle they're shooting this at, but the theming is on the large side.

peep

CF Legend
Is it? I thought the theming part of the train looked too CG to be real. Still, it doesn't match to the description so, we'll see?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
Definitely not, without a single doubt that is a photo with an amended background and several blur effects added. I'd say it's two images that have been combined by the look of it. The background rock work being one, the train being another and the two have been combined and transitioned using blur presets such as a spin and zoom blur that can be found in Photoshop.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I agree that's a photo montage, but the barrel may look larger than it actually is due to perspective being off whack.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk