What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
While there's still major structural work taking place around the track at the hotel end of the site I can't see tests soon.
While different projects meaning comparisons really don't hold much weight; is it worth noting that Taron's track was completed end of October 2015 and testing did not start until the end of March 2016.

Littlebrotoby

Roller Poster
I doubt they start testing while the site is still so messy... Since they are in no hurry, the logical thing to do would be to at least finish the basic theming surrounding the ride before it properly starts to test.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Agreed, it could cause a problem with safety if there are still workers and tools etc on site. I think they will wait until the bulk of the theming is done, and then send the first test train around.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
So staying in the African themed Hotel Matamba tonight, which is great btw and Taron ERT was amazing. Managed to get 14 rides! Highly recommend a stay outside of the peak summer to get ERT.
-
However relevant to this thread though, my room just happened to be on the top floor with this view of the Rookburgh side of the sound barrier walls. Image quality is not great only had a mobile phone.
IMG-20190619-WA0015.jpg

Additional theming elements have been added to the metal wall and towers.
IMG-20190619-WA0010.jpg

Interestingly just in shot near the bottom right two small roofs (on top of the enclosed lift building where the train travels up into the 1st launch) there are two metal lattice beams sticking up.
Difficult to say with the perspective but it seems it could be directly in front of the large gap left at Tor 1/Gate 1 (now covered with a blue tarpaulin as theming happens on the other side). Perhaps those beams will help support a large theming element? A zeppelin sitting half out of the gates of the depot maybe?
IMG-20190619-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20190619-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20190619-WA0013.jpg

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
Yes indeed they are not going to test soon. Rember there is still a floating support haha.
Testing is going to take a lot of time. Its the first one of its kind and its an extremely complicated system. Just like the build of Air @AltonTowers. I hope that it wont turn out to be a like the Flying Dutchman @Efteling... Then it will open in 2021.

Shoryukenfox

Roller Poster
Dont know if somebody already mention it but around that area of the wall when i was there yesterday i saw some letters attached assuming saying rookburgh

Attachments

• 20190622_121257.jpg
    20190622_121257.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 153

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Dont know if somebody already mention it but around that area of the wall when i was there yesterday i saw some letters attached assuming saying rookburgh
Well is as previously mentioned there is the 'Tor 2' (Gate 2) lettering and the dragon wings symbols.
However the concept image in the model display showed that there would be "Air Rail Company" lettering along the metal lattice at the top of the wall - so perhaps you saw that being added?

tf3

Roller Poster
I don't know, but if the Perspektive is right it seems that they build a wall at the end of the first launch - so it might look like you speed up on straight track in direction to this wall an pull up in last second. Possible a nice moment of this ride.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Alright, you guys all ready for another year of messy slow progress looking construction site? ?
Nope. Because as soon as that sound barrier wall/facade along the street side (which the foundations of are being worked right now in those pictures) goes up getting a decent look into the site after that will be nearly impossible.
Auf Wiedersehen to construction updates then!

In all seriousness I'd presume they'll almost certainly (unless plagued with technical problems) be ready to open for the beginning of the 2020 season in April (major structural/construction work is now done its just the hotel, theming the area and testing left).
I'd bet on the rather fitting date of 1st April. ?

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
In all seriousness I'd presume they'll almost certainly (unless plagued with technical problems) be ready to open for the beginning of the 2020 season in April (major structural/construction work is now done its just the hotel, theming the area and testing left).

I guess most of us agree on that.

BTW, Did anyone consider the possibility that the hotel could actually open before the coaster? I was just thinking. For me it looks by now as if they could finish the hotel and most of the theming in Rookburgh (seen from outside the coaster) by the end of the year, that is before Christmas. If so, wouldn't it make sense for them to open the hotel for some time in Winter?

...from the point of view of selling the new attraction, they wouldn't give away too much, I'd think. Access to Rookburgh could be limited to hotel guest only...

Pear

Strata Poster
I'd bet on the rather fitting date of 1st April. ?
Idk if they'll be ready by then especially if they're still working without a schedule...