What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Personally I'm beginning to have doubts about a 2019 opening, and that was before the hotel announcement.

You just look at the site, and therest still so much to do. The coaster isn't finished yet. There's not even a glimpse of any theming aside from the wall. Compared to Klugheim, which at this stage had Taron track complete, Raik track almost done, and a lot of theming, it seems like an awful big job to get it done for, say, summer 2019. Especially if we're getting the high level of theming that we expect from Phantasialand.

I'm not ruling it out (remembering how Black Mamba looked less than 2 months before opening always fills me with hope), but I'm feeling less confident than I did a couple of months back to be honest.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Personally I'm beginning to have doubts about a 2019 opening, and that was before the hotel announcement.

You just look at the site, and therest still so much to do. The coaster isn't finished yet. There's not even a glimpse of any theming aside from the wall. Compared to Klugheim, which at this stage had Taron track complete, Raik track almost done, and a lot of theming, it seems like an awful big job to get it done for, say, summer 2019. Especially if we're getting the high level of theming that we expect from Phantasialand.

I'm not ruling it out (remembering how Black Mamba looked less than 2 months before opening always fills me with hope), but I'm feeling less confident than I did a couple of months back to be honest.
Not sure where you got that from. But supports for Raik were only delivered beginning of January. But indeed. The progress of themeing was further on it's way.
But as Klugheim was a lot of Wood and precision work. I think a Steampunk Theme can be more on the pre-fab site (So for all we know the themeing could be ready laying in some warehouse around the corner.)

EDIT: Also as I'm reading the Taron topic I see that everyone was complaining back then that the ride experience would be ****e... It seems simillar to how everyone is complaining about FLY right now

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Ah yes, I was remembering it wrong. Announced in December, built in January - my bad! But yes, my concern still stands.

It's a fair point about it being easier to make the theming off-site, etc though. I still wonder how possible it will be to:
-finish the roller coaster
-build food outlets / shop
-create the level of immersion of theming Phantasialand is known for (something which only truly comes when putting everything in place)
-and in some way integrate a hotel, or leave space for one to be built and subsequently build it

All in the period of 6-8 months.

It's Phantasialand, so I wouldn't rule it out, but I do have some doubts!

Ethan

Strata Poster
In the Phantasialand Blog post, it says the hotel will be situated "right in the heart of Rookburgh". Looks like this thing will be above, around and below the coaster then, possibly? I know it's just marketing speak but there's nowhere else to put it really. The shape of the building does look like it'll allow track to swoop around and beneath certain parts of it.

Like I said I doubt I'll stay at this hotel but damn, I am so excited to see Rookburgh take shape. Hopefully this announcement is the start of more regular updates from the park. Fingers crossed!

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I don't know when to expect Rookburgh to open.

Depends on whether the hotel opens later or simultaneously with F.L.Y and Rookburgh itself. It also depends on how fast this hotel will be built. That in turn depends on how the hotel will be shaped, all concrete or prefab capsules, as previous said.

But for a few reasons I don't see them waiting until 2020 to open Rookburgh:
- Between each big project in the past there was always planned to be 3 years to be in between those investments.
- Why would they announce this hotel 1,5 year in advance? People will forget about it. While families start to plan their 2019 summer vacation after the holidays. So this announcement is strategically good for those families that start to plan their summer vacation.
- I just don't see them working on a site for more than 3,5 years (since the groundwork back then in 2016 till begin summer season 2020).
- As someone else mentioned before: I don't see an almost complete coaster standing there for another year not being used.

So for me 2019 is still possible, when I think about all of this.

Last edited:

Peet

Giga Poster
Also as I'm reading the Taron topic I see that everyone was complaining back then that the ride experience would be :emoji_poop:e... It seems simillar to how everyone is complaining about FLY right now
I think we are all agreed that FLY is going to be life-changingly good aren't we? I've not seen many (any?) complaints about the quality of ride.

- As someone else mentioned before: I don't see an almost complete coaster standing there for another year not being used.
This happened with Red Force so it's not unheard of.
Sounds like we need a Rookburgh opening date sweepstake... I'll go for 1st August 2019 :)

Robert.W

Roller Poster
First observations – the capsule concept looks a very novel way of doing what is presumably a more budget freindly accommodation option (and it looks really well themed too, which is obviously expected with it being Phantasialand), which I get the impression is much needed at Phantasialand as the current hotels don’t really cater to that market.

As for when Rookburgh might open though, I think if they do intend to have the hotel open at some point during 2019, then at some point we will see the website updated to allow people to pre book, which will indicate the opening dates of the hotel – and I’d say it would be safe to assume if that happens, that Rookburgh (incl. FLY) will open with the hotel, if not even earlier.

kai phillips

Roller Poster
So its pretty clear the hotel is not the same as Thorpe Shark but is similar but with a high level of theming. When you look at a picture of Thorpe Shark it looks very raw and with the correct colour scheme and theming details could look steampunk.
Shark-Hotel-3.jpg

Now the Thorpe Shark hotel was previously called "The Crash Pad" and was essentially a tempory hotel that they eventually converted into a permanent one. these temporary hotels can be built in 48 hours. Now I'm not saying that we will see this hotel completed Saturday but I think it can be done in under 6 months.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I think we are all agreed that FLY is going to be life-changingly good aren't we? I've not seen many (any?) complaints about the quality of ride.
I don't quite know what I'm expecting of FLY, but I know I won't go into it with this mindset. From the twisty's & turny's I can see, it looks just like that. Nothing stands out quite yet other than the compactness. But that's probably what everyone said about Taron before the theming was put in, so all I can do is see how it turns out.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Ethan previously mentioned it but here is in full the park's Blog Article announcing the hotel. Its mostly marketing spiel but there's a couple interesting teases.
48388126_2170352956337190_7390966274861301760_o.jpg.91f90cc2b0401b9a35516cb4056eebc3.jpg

In Phantasialand arises the ultimate steampunk experience by night and day.
Rookburgh - Here great adventures meet with fantastic worlds. Bold and legendary Pioneers of aviation. Mysterious places full of puzzling apparatuses. Journey back in time, travel between heaven and Earth, the past, and today.

The first announcement of the currently under construction theme world already teased something big: Rookburgh will bring magnificent steampunk flair and fascinating experiences - and the unique rollercoaster: F.L.Y., the world's first launched flying coaster.

In Rookburgh Phantasialand merges an unique attraction with grand theming to create a phenomenal overall experience - so complex and intensive as never before. But that's not all! Because the experience of Rookburgh will go beyond just that of a park visit.

"Sleep like an aeronaut" - is the newest secret from Rookburgh. A short sentence full of many stories, that brings a whole new adventure to the theme world. Because in Rookburgh will be something that will catapult the overall experience into a whole new dimension! The Hotel Charles Lindbergh.
FB_IMG_1545302719182.jpg

The hotel will stand in the middle of the heart of Rookburgh. Totally embedded in the theme world, but still an imposing sight itself with its own special flair noticeable right down to the smallest details in the unusual themed tube rooms. It will be an unforgettable adventure especially due to the way it blends into the area: Who sleeps in Hotel Charles Lindbergh, sleeps in the middle of the themed world! And the world unique interaction between Hotel Charles Lindbergh and the Launched Flying Coaster F.L.Y.!

Rookburgh will be more than just a new themed world in Phantasialand. With its grand steampunk theming, worldwide unique rollercoaster and the in every way embedded Hotel Charles Lindbergh Rookburgh creates an overall experience, the likes of which cannot be found elsewhere!
Phantasialand_Rookburgh-HotelCharlesLindbergh2-1024x611.jpg

The emphasis on how its part of the world/in the middle of it is intriguing. Hotel Ling Bao and Hotel Matamba sit of the edge of their respective themed areas and form the backdrop to them. I'm assuming the 'in middle of' is not to be taken literally as that space is full of track and if they manage to squeeze any kind of building complex in there I'll be amazed. Looking at the overview of the currently installed track I presume it will be located in the currently 'trackless' area beside the road. But be interwined with the coaster and area's features making it 'in the middle' of Rookburgh.
As with the other hotels it will need some kind of road side connection anyway for the entrance.
20181218_103613.jpg

I've marked in blue the underground maintenance bays which as seen in the most recent site picture have now been built and enclosed with coaster footers in the roof/new ground level. Presumably we see track erection here soon along with the start of some of the hotel's structure.

Etymology
The hotel is named after the famous American aviator who aged 25 flew the first solo transatlantic flight and the first non-stop flight between North America and the Europe in 1927.
Given that Rookburgh is believed to be a new fictional world within the 1920s Berlin themed area it fits the time period and 'aeronaut' theme/story quite well. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lindbergh

Last edited:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
So as i'm looking for hotels near cologne for a potential large road-trip next summer, this is announced! Being likely that it's a more budget option, this would perfectly suit my needs! Doubt it'll be ready for next summer though....

Still hoping for F.L.Y. to be ready but somehow doubt it...

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
We can not yet know, but we can make guesses. So here is my guess.
0aHxnR7

Red: Some outdoor alleway leading up to the Hotel
Blue: Hotel Lobby
Black: Rooms with tower (and some kind of tunnel/hall leading up to it.
Maybe it's not even aguess, but more of a dream. (I know there is already track where I placed the tower, but for what we know the track could even go trough the hotel building :) )
EDIT: Ofcourse it could be only the grey part on the left in Kenny's post, but then it would be so much smaller than MAtamba and Ling Bao

Ethan

Strata Poster
I feel like the hotel is likely to go against the Wuze hall tbh, makes sense in terms of access from the road and space on the site. In your prediction, I think the "alley" in red that you've drawn would be a bit of a waste of space, but who knows.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I feel like the hotel is likely to go against the Wuze hall tbh, makes sense in terms of access from the road and space on the site. In your prediction, I think the "alley" in red that you've drawn would be a bit of a waste of space, but who knows.
But that isn't so in the heart of the area. If they really are making the claim they are making now, I feel like the hotel should be surrounded by rookburgh and not stand at the side. There are other hotels which just lay next to a coaster... So that wouldn't make this hotel unique :)
The alley in red could as well be use durning the day for food corners. If it's really well themed it shouldn't be a waste of space :)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
To be fair, saying it's in the "heart" of the area could simply be marketing speil. Of course, literally speaking it would be more or less in the centre. But even if it's at the edge, it could still be at the heart of the area as long as it's properly integrated, and looks like a focal point wherever it is.