What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Trax

Hyper Poster
One thing which I need to mention: There are no nets or roofs under the ride. As you have to empty your pockets, they apparently do not need them, so you always have a clear view of the ride.

@CrashCoaster I believe it's finished, except for some tape in places. However, especially the queue looks like it needs some love in many places. It ends strong, but 80% of it are pretty much bare walls. I don't expect them to theme the queue, though.

Nikl01as

Roller Poster
I found behind a wall some decoration, which still needs to put in place but in general, everything looks finished.
And very important: F.L.Y. had no big technical issues! Or I should say, I haven´t noticed any technical issue. The coaster works like a clockwork ;) And the waiting time wasn´t long, even with a full queue.
Edit: yeah, at some places were still some duct tape, but it was not very obvious. And one animatronic was not in use :( But the other ones worked perfect. I also like the dark ride part

Ethan

Strata Poster
Gotta say, the entrance to FLY looks to be one of the greatest entrances I've seen in a while.
Wait really? It's... a black staircase? I think Taron's blows it out of the water.

There are some photos in that post that made me think "wow this is actually stunning and really well done" but other photos that make me think it looks slightly rushed.

AguakateBionico

Roller Poster
Has this coaster any storyline? If so, is it good?

Please don't tell me the storyline itself, I only want to know if this coaster has a storyline or only has steampunk theming but no lore.

Trax

Hyper Poster
There are some photos in that post that made me think "wow this is actually stunning and really well done" but other photos that make me think it looks slightly rushed.
That's exactly how it felt for me. And I actually did not use the pictures of the really... unfinished... parts of the area. The spread in quality is quite large, and some of the uglier spots are in your way.

Has this coaster any storyline? If so, is it good?
It has no real story. You are just boarding a flight, nothing more. Still, it's enough to make it plausible.

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
What's the bet they begin the POV at the first launch though, just to spite us.

If they fix the camera at the 0 car you cant see what's to the left. So you cant see what the people see. Indeed they won't show us what's inside. Maybe what's inside youtube channel wil show us in the near future. ?

Transporter

Roller Poster
For me the greatest thing is the way the F.L.Y. trains enter the station empty, as well as the dispatch. The sounds the coaster itself makes fit so perfectly into that whole theming. Don‘t want to go too much into detail. But the ride itself, for me, is just fascinating to look at. Like a huge machine that just perfectly works.

Concerning the overall speed, I think it’s quite spot on for the masses. If it „drives in“ like Taron did..it’s gonna be just amazing. What I found quite noticeable is that you get a different experience in each row. That can be quite surprising at times because the ride behaves so differently depending on where you sit. The near misses btw are something else! :D You really feel like you can touch the roofs and walls! Really great experience overall!? F.L.Y and Rookburgh really feel like one.

Nikl01as

Roller Poster
I am very happy with the theming. There are many tiny details, which you have to choose. Some maybe do not notice them ;)
The story is easy: Spoiler: You are a test pilot of a new air vehicle and F.L.Y. is the Airline, as I understand....

And when the train enters the boarding station, the lights are perfect!

Very important: You can get wet! Very wet!

Matt N

CF Legend
The more I see of Rookburgh, the more I like it! The area looks stunning and packed to the brim with details, and controversially, I actually think I like it more than Klugheim if photos and videos are anything to go by!

Out of interest, for anyone who’s ridden, how do the restraints on FLY feel in comparison to other types of flying coaster (e.g. B&M flying coasters)? One of the most common complaints about the flying coaster as a ride type (and this seemingly applies to all of the models to some degree) is that the restraints are either restrictive, uncomfortable or both, so I’d be intrigued to see whether Vekoma have managed to perfect the flying coaster restraint.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I am very happy with the theming. There are many tiny details, which you have to choose. Some maybe do not notice them ;)
The story is easy: Spoiler: You are a test pilot of a new air vehicle and F.L.Y. is the Airline, as I understand....
That's not a story, that's a premise.

A story would be something along the lines of "inventor and traveller ~insert name~ stumbled across the smoky city of Rookburgh and designed a new Air-rail system to transport coal and materials from mine to factory etc. However since this isn't needed anymore, he's opened it up as a tourist attraction on which guests can climb aboard..."

"The story is flying" isn't exactly deep lore, and whilst I'm not saying attractions need a deep storyline to be immersive, it can definitely make things feel more layered and... Juicy. From what we've seen of construction and now the "finished" area, I'm starting to think budget was a concern. We started out with those lovely white buildings with the zero G above it, we saw the model in the box with the amazing theming inside. But instead of the highly textured surfaces and all that we saw on the model, we're given black walls. Just loads of black walls and black steel beams around the launch. Klugheim was so accurate to the model but this just looks like they started running out of cash to give everything a proper finish :(

But still, I'm excited to ride this when I get the chance. Near misses look fab, some of the theming looks fantastic and is what I expect from a high-end park like Phantasialand, soundtrack sounds good from the snippets we've heard... It really does look solid tbh but just lacks what I want from PHL. It doesn't appear to have that... expensive... look that most of Klugheim has.

Edit: Also love the steam rising from the sewer grates in the pavement and from the coal on the ground. Simple but genius.

Last edited:

Nikl01as

Roller Poster
Ethan, go to Rooburgh and than correct your last answer ;) It is 100% fitting to the theme! And no! There is way more than just black walls. You haven´t seen the area the same as a visitor today. I have seen it, I saw all the details and experienced the feeling of being in Rookburgh. You just have seen chosen footage from users. Visit the area and then make your own opinion. But I promise you, you will be happy. Happy as every other guest I have seen there. Never forget that Rookburgh is the industrial steampunk port of Berlin and that it has to look like a industrial steampunk port ;)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Ethan, go to Rooburgh and than correct your last answer ;) It is 100% fitting to the theme! And no! There is way more than just black walls. You haven´t seen the area the same as a visitor today. I have seen it, I saw all the details and experienced the feeling of being in Rookburgh. You just have seen chosen footage from users. Visit the area and then make your own opinion. But I promise you, you will be happy. Happy as every other guest I have seen there. Never forget that Rookburgh is the industrial steampunk port of Berlin and that it has to look like a industrial steampunk port ;)
Nikolas, go to the edit post function and correct your spelling ;)

I love this mindset of "You just don't get it". I think people love something so much that they can't fathom that others might not see it the same way as them.

I will be visiting Rookburgh. But the thing is, I know Rookburgh is supposed to be the smoky, fantasy/industrial district of Berlin, somewhere mysterious that you access through dark tunnels and passages. My point is that I don't think it's perfect. Taron is my favourite coaster and Klugheim is my favourite themed area, and I don't think that's without it's flaws either. I could list them all now.

My point still stands. It looks really really great, coaster looks solid af, but I just don't think it's finished to the same degree that it could have been. If you really care that much about a different opinion, I can even show you my point with images.