What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I'm still struggling to think about an opening date for all of this.

Assuming that the rumours are true that the coaster has started testing, I think the actual coaster itself could easily be ready by the beginning of April provided testing goes smoothly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* Taron was testing properly by April and then we saw an end of June opening, so 2 months or so seems like a reasonable time span for the testing phase (in EnergyLandia's case they seem to get testing done in a week ?)

However, I think what will take more time is getting the area completely themed and the hotel completely done up and furnished. I think this could take longer, and that's what makes the end of June time seem more likely. Crazy bats was open for the height of the summer season and if Rookburgh was to open any later than June it would be a missed opportunity as the increase in gate figures won't be as large if the new area isn't open for the whole of the summer holidays.

I would love to see Rookburgh opened as soon as possible, however I know Phantasialand won't open it until it's all completely finished, and it's so important that the quality of the theming throughout the area is there (which I have no doubt that it will be), but that just makes it more worthwhile to wait knowing that the area is going to be of such a high standard throughout.

I think it's safe to say we are seeing a 2020 opening though as otherwise the park would not have released an official advert as well as a newspaper detailing the area if they were going to make us wait another year and a half to see the area finally open its gates. Hopefully the park will release the opening date for the area a fair few weeks before it opens, so we are all able to plan our trips/book into the hotel with enough notice.

Here's to hoping the area is ready as soon as possible. Got an April trip planned and then will go back sometime between May-July so pray it's ready before August ?

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I'm still struggling to think about an opening date for all of this.

Assuming that the rumours are true that the coaster has started testing, I think the actual coaster itself could easily be ready by the beginning of April provided testing goes smoothly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* Taron was testing properly by April and then we saw an end of June opening, so 2 months or so seems like a reasonable time span for the testing phase (in EnergyLandia's case they seem to get testing done in a week ?)
Don't forget FLY is a prototype :) will significantly increase testing time I think

JoshC.

Strata Poster
And in any case, many manufacturers will test prototype elements at their sites in any way possible, but that's completely different to a real, full-scale thing which needs to be sending out trains every 90 seconds (or whatever).

Psyche! All of the other track we're seeing at Phantasialand is just theming - the actual coaster is a clone of the one at the Vekoma facility. :p

Cracked it! Crazy Bats was a test for VR and you actually go round the Vekoma facility track, but VR makes you think you're going round the track you actually see!!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Don't forget FLY is a prototype :) will significantly increase testing time I think
Hmmm yeah I kind of forgot about this for a second. When we’re thinking about how delayed chiapas was because of issues due to the fact that it was a prototype, this could equally face similar issues which set back the opening date again.

I’m still feeling positive of a 2020 opening however end of June for the beginning of the summer holidays is definitely the most likely bet at this point.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Ohhhh

I bet they just didn’t want to let it hang outside for the next few months.

Otherwise it means Rookburgh will open in April but this would be damn quick!

I agree, there wouldn't be much point having a TV screen sitting outside when the only people coming into the park are staff members and people who have hired out the park for conferences(and their guests), so the attention won't exactly be on the construction site of the new land, more of the program of the conference.

Looking at that tunnel, it looks nowhere near complete, and I was expecting it to be much further along by now. After seeing that photo, I'm really unsure I can see April happening as they've still got so much to do.

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Looking at that tunnel, it looks nowhere near complete, and I was expecting it to be much further along by now. After seeing that photo, I'm really unsure I can see April happening as they've still got so much to do.

Well, just the view of the tunnel doesn't tell us that much in this concern, I'd say. I guess you can easily finish and clear that one spot within a few weeks. However, I share the overall impression that this is not going to open in the beginning of April. All in all too many open issues on site, I feel. So they might target beginning of June, which seem realistic for me.

BTW, I'm actually wondering if opening new attractions in Summer is actually the best idea for Phantasialand. I get that from a economical viewpoint introducing and advertising a new attraction towards the main holiday season has the greatest potential to attract people and hence might in general be the best. However, in the specific case of the Phantasialand it's not so obvious for me. Phantasialand is small and I just recall from the few times I visited the park during main season that it is super packed. I mean not just the queues (which is kind of expected and tolerated) but the entire park infrastructure (including entrances, parking space) already seems to be at the limit or somewhat beyond. Maybe I was a bit unlucky with the days I picked, I don't know, you guys might correct me. But it just gave the impression that the biggest potential to get more visits (without risking to piss people off too much) is the off-season. What do you think?

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Literally. I also love how the post above yours has been posted with no comment, as if they've just dropped the biggest bombshell of 2020. It's a brick wall, honey. Rookburgh is full of 'em.
I suppose you did not see the testing footage in the bottom right? Does not per se make it more relevant as we know that it is testing and it's just a image