What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
does anybody know what the video content is
At the moment it just cycles through the logos and info for F.L.Y. and the hotel.
Screenshot_20190419-141853_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190419-141849_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190419-141841_Instagram.jpg

Source Instagram story of NRW_parks

Dar

Hyper Poster
I wonder if there's going to be a big model of something, maybe the train, put on top of the box? It seems so out of place and weirdly shaped to just have a few peepholes on one side and nothing else interesting

Ralf

Roller Poster
I think Phantasialand is more or less making fun about the enthusiasts. First no information at all, then some vague information but still no proper concepts or drawings and NOW finally a model but presented in a way that it is hard to publish it in the internet. Haha. Kind of funny.
The coaster looks nice but I am a bit disappointed about the layout. Seems as if nothing to special or thrilling element will come with ride, in the end the overall-experience needs to be top-notch.

Pascii20

Roller Poster
I think Phantasialand is more or less making fun about the enthusiasts. First no information at all, then some vague information but still no proper concepts or drawings and NOW finally a model but presented in a way that it is hard to publish it in the internet. Haha. Kind of funny.
The coaster looks nice but I am a bit disappointed about the layout. Seems as if nothing to special or thrilling element will come with ride, in the end the overall-experience needs to be top-notch.
Wasn't it the same for Taron? The layout was never revealed until the very end and enthuasiast were a little disappointed that there were no inversions and that it looked rather family thrill ride. But it ended up as one of the best coasterd in the world. Ihink those tight turns on FLY can pull some gigh Gs if taken at enough speed and given the special seating position this thing could end up being very intense. At this point i cant wait any longer and am very excited to see this in person when it's finished!

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
You can't really expect a prototype coaster to be balls to the wall with the elements :) Which is also not neccesary imo :D
I mean It's a launched flying coaster, can never be bad

Ethan

Strata Poster
Given Phantasialand's track record with this sort of thing, I think it's rather clear they couldn't give a toss about enthusiasts, why would they? I mean, they like Tobi and his Nolimits models, but except for that, I really don't think they care.

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
I dont think that either...
I think the layout is actually pretty good. Its like mentioned a proto, and for a prototype it doesnt look boring at all. If you take a look at Air at Alton Towers, it has pretty basic layout and it is pretty boring for now a standards, but it's still a very fun ride. And its also the first flying coaster with a launch. Two of them! But don't expect the 2nd launch to be like Taron. More like ICON. It keeps the momentum going.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
Eh, I think they care about Enthusiasts more then we think. Few people are willing to travel for this stuff, and enthusiasts usually purchase souvenirs or some crap. It's a guaranteed audience. Obviously, they're main focal point is the GP, as that's where the money is, but they're designing a roller coaster that both enthusiasts, and the GP will like, so, why not?

Think of it like the music industry. Take something like Judas Priest, for example. If you don't know anything about music, it's just good (or bad) music to you. To us musicians, we can tell when they throw in little stuff that both the players, and musicians, will enjoy and notice. For example, maybe during a solo, the guitarist or vocalist, goes into triplets, which isn't really that complicated, but this is judas priest. The rest of the band is still in straight 8th's or whatever. To those of you reading, you have no idea, you just hear music. But to us musicians, we know what's going on and we follow. After all, musicians are more likely to buy a limited edition CD or something. So, you're already catering to the GP. You're making something both enthusiast and GP will enjoy, why not add a pop here and there for the musician? Kill two birds with one stone.

I mean, the GP enjoy hangtime, ejector, floater, lats, everything we do, they just don't know. Music is slightly different, as I like to play stuff in irrational meters like 19 over 15/16 polyrhythm into 37/19 or something, which isn't necessarily the general person's idea of good music, because they're uneducated. Coasters are more straight forward.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Enthusiasts don't really matter though, especially to a park that gets a couple million guests each year.

"Oh no, this YouTube channel with 50,000 subscribers doesn't like our new multi-million euro area and rides! We'll be bust by season close!"

As for the music analogy, I think that's one of more utterly stupid things I've read on here.

Bartwurst

Roller Poster
Enthusiasts don't really matter though, especially to a park that gets a couple million guests each year.

"Oh no, this YouTube channel with 50,000 subscribers doesn't like our new multi-million euro area and rides! We'll be bust by season close!"

As for the music analogy, I think that's one of more utterly stupid things I've read on here.
Enthousiast don’t matter? Excuse me, are you new to the leisure and themepark industry?

For a parks enthousiast/fans together with marketing to “normal guests” are are the most important bit of marketing.
Guest relations are one of the most important pieces of marketing and running a Park....... when even the EAS runs a seminar on dealing with fanbases and the positive and negative sides ran by theme park managers and for theme park industries, it show that it’s that important part of running a park.

Look at parks like the Efteling or Europa park, all embracing their fan sites, fan bases and inviting them to press events and releasing a special product just for the fans!

Edit: look at Disneyland Paris (a park with over millions of guest, as you recalled). Managing special events just for park enthousiast (AP parties).
Phantasialand maybe is in comparison to DLP isn’t that big in dealing with enthousiast, they still try to please them: it shows with the new setup of Rookburgh!

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
I meant that enthusiasts don't matter when it comes to planning new rides. Of course they matter in terms of advertising, but it's more that enthusiasts are a useful tool in marketing instead of having any sway on what new attractions will be.

Don't forget that enthusiasts don't generally spend as much as families, we tend to buy season passes and pop in with some lunch rather than a family that pays full price and then has a load of food and drink and then buy lots of merch on the way out.