What's new

Paultons Park | Tornado Springs | New Area | 2021

InsomniaMelon

Mega Poster
Which is fine, but it's very common that with any project quite a few people know about it before you see the press release ;)
Does anyone know when the proper press release will be? I know we’re seeing concept art and hints but idk when the official announcement will be. I hope it’s 1st May

Niles

Giga Poster
I hope this new area boosts the attendance enough so in the future they add some more thrilling attractions, this will always stay a family park i hope, but it does not mean they cant add some big thrills that everyone can go on. In my dreams and water coaster and a GG woodie would be perfect, but i cant see many more coasters being added maybe a dark ride and a proper log flume would be better?

i can dream :rolleyes:

InsomniaMelon

Mega Poster
I wonder if Paultons are pushing into the thrill market more now they’ve dropped the “family theme” from the logo. Maybe they’re trying to make a theme park that can appeal to all members of the family.

Lofty

CF Legend
Maybe so, but even with that they wouldn't do it so rapidly. As has been stated before, they'd transition this over many any years to a point that you wouldn't really notice it. Let's face it, they're never going to go 'thrill' as a park, but what they can do is add one or two rides or attractions that cater to the more thrill-seeking market.

I feel there needs to be an understanding that a park whom builds a larger ride with a higher height restriction isn't becoming a 'thrill park' or trying to enter the 'thrill market', they're merely trying to capitalise and create a sense of loyalty to their existing clientele. They're evolving and growing up with their audience. For example, look at Sabrina The Teenage Witch (bear with me), that show is merely for children, it's magical and fun... years down the line, Netflix produce The Chilllign Adventures of Sabrina - this is merely a tailoring of the original narrative to match the audience that would have grown up with it, whilst containing elements of the original narrative, characters and themes.

Paultons are doing the same, they're *potentially* adding a more thrilling coaster (although people are getting their hopes up way too much for this) that children can aim to ride, parents can ride with their older teenage children etc., then they can take their younger brother/sister on etc.

I feel this point constantly gets lost on this forum and people think Paultons are sat there all like "We NeEd To BuY a BiG rIdE bEcAuSe We DoN't HaVe OnE!", which is not the case when you're spending millions and millions and millions of pounds on a product.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I feel this point constantly gets lost on this forum and people think Paultons are sat there all like "We NeEd To BuY a BiG rIdE bEcAuSe We DoN't HaVe OnE!", which is not the case when you're spending millions and millions and millions of pounds on a product.
Especially when they've literally no need to, it's not their market at all.

Totally agree, let's just let Paultons keep crushing in their sector, and if that means they never get a ride over 100ft then they've sorted it.

I think a lot of YouTubers at the minute are seeing that layout in the poster as an Xtreme Spinning Coaster. Looking back at it, I get their point cause that turn kinda looks like an inversion on a Time Traveller style layout. But either a Dwervelwind or a more family Time Traveller (even just one inversion) is perfect cause they're both in the thrill market. The drop towers are complicated because it could see the relocation of Magma and then the manufacturer brings in a second (also could be called Junkyard Junction) or it could be the retired Jumping Bean and Jumping Jack (but it looks more like Magma). Cyclonator is the Zamperla Discovery Revolution. Buffalo Falls is the rethemed Wave Runner. Al's Auto Academy could be a new driving school attraction. Al's Garage could be the main shop or part of the Auto Academy attraction theme. Rio Grande Train back in operation. Trekking Tractors is spruced up nicely.

I just feel so excited about this!

Also just to add, if Magma is being relocated then in 2021, I wanna see a Star Flyer themed in a new area with Cobra, Edge and another attraction to replace the Go Karts

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I think a lot of YouTubers at the minute are seeing that layout in the poster as an Xtreme Spinning Coaster. Looking back at it, I get their point cause that turn kinda looks like an inversion on a Time Traveller style layout. But either a Dwervelwind or a more family Time Traveller (even just one inversion) is perfect cause they're both in the thrill market. The drop towers are complicated because it could see the relocation of Magma and then the manufacturer brings in a second (also could be called Junkyard Junction) or it could be the retired Jumping Bean and Jumping Jack (but it looks more like Magma). Cyclonator is the Zamperla Discovery Revolution. Buffalo Falls is the rethemed Wave Runner. Al's Auto Academy could be a new driving school attraction. Al's Garage could be the main shop or part of the Auto Academy attraction theme. Rio Grande Train back in operation. Trekking Tractors is spruced up nicely.

I just feel so excited about this!

Also just to add, if Magma is being relocated then in 2021, I wanna see a Star Flyer themed in a new area with Cobra, Edge and another attraction to replace the Go Karts

I'm really confused with all this chat about Paultons getting a "thrill coaster", with inversions etc. Paultons is a family park, and if they are getting a spinning coaster it will be a family spinning coaster. Yes it could be a family-thrill coaster, but something like Dwervelwind, or even a clone, is much more realistic than any coaster with an inversion. I feel like that's far too big a jump from their current market, which they are very successful in, to be putting a coaster with inversions in. On the concept art to me, it looks far more like the overbank on Dwervelwind than a coaster with an inversion.

I don't understand how the drop towers are seeing a relocation of magma. On the photo, they clearly look like the Zierer Family Free Fall towers which Zierer always sell in a pair to the park e.g. take Tikal at Phantasialand or Poppy Towers at Europa Park. It is much more likely to be a pair of these Zierer family towers than a relocation of Magma to a different area of the park, as Magma already has all the existing theming built up around it and is a popular attraction, so there's really no need for its relocation.

As mentioned before, it's also likely that the Cyclonator could be restricted to a maximum swing height of lets say 80-90 degrees, so that the ride offers enjoyment for all ages, there's nothing to say this flat ride will be going upside down either, as it's just doesn't link to to Paultons current target market.

Lofty

CF Legend
Dwervelwind is definitely not in the 'thrill' market, though. It's a family spinning coaster. Am I completely missing something, here?

Let's face it, the only reason people are thinking this is a thrill ride is because Paultons used the screen grab of a No Limits coaster on YouTube. To put this in context... PortAventura used Thorpe Park's Colossus to represent Furius Baco on some merchandise as it has some elements that are more eye catching than the Baco track.

Niles

Giga Poster
Dwervelwind for them would to me be there most thrilling ride on park, I cannot speak for everyone but when I say thrill coaster, I mean a step up from a family coaster, but under an extreme coaster.

I cannot see an extreme coaster coming but I think a thrilling custom spinner is not out of question.

Unless I think otherwise, I use RCDB scale indicator for a rough idea on the scale of the coaster i.e

SBF spinner = Family

Dwervelwind = Thrill

Time Traveler = extreme

But i am happy with anything as this is my closet big park a Dwervelwind clone is fine by me.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^Not to mention it is a Berry cake, as in Knott's Berry Farm.

I can't say I care much about this development now. Although it should be a nice addition to the park.

Is Sierra Sidewinder or Dwervelwind the better coaster?

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Layout wise, I can't recall any particular difference. In terms of ride experience though, Dwervelwind is a much nicer coaster. The station and on board audio gives it quite the step up.

That said, I still think either option would be great. I just hope they do the little extras to make it extra special. :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
For example, look at Sabrina The Teenage Witch (bear with me), that show is merely for children, it's magical and fun... years down the line, Netflix produce The Chilllign Adventures of Sabrina - this is merely a tailoring of the original narrative to match the audience that would have grown up with it, whilst containing elements of the original narrative, characters and themes.
Did the Netflix one have MJH in it? Clearly the only reason I watched Sabrina in the first place.

rctneil

Roller Poster

I remember finding Sierra Sidewinder rather forgettable when I rode it in 2009. It faired better in 2015. I then rode Spiderman and the theming made it a much, MUCH better experience.

Dwerverlwind I remember being a much more sprawling layout and the onboard audio added a nice extra touch but I remember a lack of spinning on my ride though. I hope to give it another try this year.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Awwww, all the children on this site who thought it would be an Xtreme spinner for no logical reason are going to be disappointed now.

I've been on Spiderman and was underwhelmed by the layout. Other than the drop it's very samey, the tight turns go straight into each other rather than the layout flowing from one element to the next. Still, the two Lost Kingdom coasters are even blander in terms of track and train so I think this will be a great addition to the park. I think we all need to remember that Tornado Springs isn't designed for us dorky forum dwellers.

Last edited: