What's new

Parks you like more than most

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I noticed that the "overrated parks" thread is getting a lot of replies, so to balance that out and spread a little more positivity, I thought I'd start a thread about the parks you like more than most. So, what parks do you like more than most? What parks get too much hate in your view?

I'll get the ball rolling with some of my choices:
  • Thorpe Park - Thorpe Park is the unloved step-child of the major UK parks, and it's almost become a dirty word for most UK enthusiasts; most seem to talk about the park like it's the spawn of satan, and have absolutely nothing good to say about it. However... I've got a real soft spot for it, and I've personally never understood the hate! The park has a really excellent coaster lineup, and I also think the park has a fair amount of filler, as well as some really great theming in places! Areas like Amity Cove and Swarm Island amongst others are actually really detailed and atmospheric, in my opinion, and I think the park is actually pretty well landscaped in others! I also find something quite magical about the park's whole "island" setting and vibe; I know it seems very minor, but I've always really liked the bridge at Thorpe as a feature, where you cross over to the Dome and see all the coasters laid out ahead of you. It almost feels like you're entering a separate world, which I love; it provides a very pure sensation of escapism, and surely that's what theme parks are all about providing? Overall, though, I really do like Thorpe Park a lot; it's not quite there on Alton Towers for me, but I think it's a pretty nice park in its own right, personally!
  • Oakwood Theme Park - A lot of people despise Oakwood, but I'll admit that I've really liked it on both of my visits; I think it's a really charming little park, with a nice forest setting and a very warm feeling about it throughout! I can't quite put my finger on what causes that warm feeling for me, but the place definitely seems to have a certain charm about it! And for a smaller park, I do think the ride selection is decent; while I don't rate Megafobia as highly as most, I do think it's a fun wooden coaster, particularly in the front row (although I won't deny that the first drop in the back is absolutely phenomenal), and while Speed isn't my personal cup of tea, I'll admit that it's a very impressive ride for the park with some great elements; that airtime hill is spectacular! Between Speed's hill and Megafobia's back row first drop, Oakwood may well have my two favourite individual airtime moments in Britain, which for a park of its size is really quite remarkable! As well as that, you also have a really fun family coaster in Treetops and some other nice bits of filler! Overall, while Oakwood isn't the largest or most expansive park, I've always had a good time there; it's certainly a hidden gem that I like more than most, and a nice little place to spend a few hours, in my opinion!
  • Epcot - Now I wasn't sure whether to include this one, as I know it does have its fans and seems somewhat polarising, however I'll include it due to raw surprise value and due to the fact that I know it does have its fair share of haters. I know that a fair few people don't particularly like this park at all, and in films and TV shows, it often gets mocked as the "dull and boring" Disney park that noone wants to visit, and I'll admit that before my visit, I was unsure if the park would be my cup of tea. There didn't look to be much in the way of appealing ride hardware on the face of it, and sections of it are often dismissed online as somewhat dated. However, to my surprise, this park really gelled with me, and it actually ended up being one of my highlights of our 2019 trip to Disney World! Yes, I'll admit that Future World, although I admire the concept, wasn't my favourite, and did feel a little bit dated as the park's critics point out, but the whole park had a really relaxed, pleasant vibe to it that I really liked, and World Showcase was a stunning enviroment that I absolutely loved, with gorgeous theming and lots of places to explore! The park's landscaping is also absolutely gorgeous, and every bit of it is decked out in vibrantly coloured flowers and plants (although visiting during the Flower & Garden Festival may admittedly have helped there). Admittedly, I do feel that the park lacks appealing ride hardware, however that's not to say that the park doesn't have some great attractions; I loved Test Track, I surprisingly really liked Frozen Ever After, and of course, the likes of Ratatouille and Guardians will have made the park more appealing in this regard by the time I next get round to visiting! Overall, while I'll admit I was unsure if Epcot would be my thing prior to visiting, and was thinking I might be more of an Epcot sceptic, I had a thoroughly enjoyable time there, and I certainly consider myself among the Epcot lovers, personally!
But what are some parks that you like more than the majority?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Walibi Belgium - Only went once back in 2017 with @Howie @witchfinder @Rollercoaster David and a few others (as a pre-cursor to the Ploptrix CF Live). This was, of course, before the additions of Tiki Waka and the mighty Kondaa. To be honest, I can't quite put my finger on what exactly I like about the place, but it just seemed like a nice little park considering it didn't have any top tier rides.

I liked the big lake and the way the park sort of worked around it. Psyke Underground is a fab coaster, and Pulsar was good fun too. The Tutankhamun dark ride is also the best interactive shooter ride I've been on. Hopefully I can get back there soon and pick up the new creds.

James F

Hyper Poster
I completely agree with you on Thorpe Park, I understand peoples complaints about the parks recent lacklustre investments and outdated use of IP's, but for what the park already has; there is plenty of good things about this park. Stealth is a forceful launch coaster, The Swarm is well themed and well paced and Inferno is also a solid invert. As you said the park has some great themed areas, Amity Cove is my personal favourite themed area of any UK park, it reminds me of the defunct amity area that was in Universal Studios Florida. This might be an unpopular opinion around here, but I also think the indoor mazes such as I'm a celebrity and Black Mirror Labyrinth were good investments; to me they echoed the days of the funhouse. I'm sure if/when the new coaster opens some enthusiasts will start to change their tune.

I think Hansa Park goes under the radar a little, well that is unless you have met someone who has been and just won't shut up about Karnan.

I used to be a defender of Flamingo Land, Kumali is a pretty smooth SLC, with some good amount of force, Velocity is a solid launch coaster and for my money is better than Rita and Mumbo Jumbo is a wacky ride with fun spots of hangtime. The Zoo is also underrated considering how big it is and how they coinhabit some of their exhibits (Rhino's and Cheetah's in the same enclosure). Unfortunately my last visit has made me feel more negatively towards the park. The rides were only open for half the day and were poorly operated, the park was also dirty and unkept, truly earning the title "mingoland". Sorry to end on a downer @Matt N 😅

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Michigan's Adventure was honestly a perfectly pleasant park to visit, that I'd gladly go back to any next chance I'd get. The way to do it? Don't want out to Grand Rapids-area for this park alone, but weave it into a broader trip to the lake, hiking, kayaking, etc.; and it makes a great day-trip. Also enjoyed spending more time on the water park side throughout the day as a great cool off.

Another second-tier Cedar Fair park I also rather enjoyed was Worlds of Fun. The Jules Vern theme feels completely lost, but it has a cute charm and decent coaster lineup.

For Six Flags parks, Fiesta Texas, Over Georgia, and Magic Mountain are all parks I absolutely loved visiting. Be it coaster lineup, general park layout, or novel/unique rides, the trio definitely "won me over" in a way to not think of Six Flags as the large, hagred park chain it's often griped to be.

Of recent visit, Elitch Gardens was also absolutely lovely - recognizing we were going in with very simple expectations in it's post-Six Flags era. Like Kentucky Kingdom (which I was also tempted to mention), both parks are finding their own certain voice and setting as they shed the Six Flags vibes. Granted, Elitch feels on borrowed time with uncertain futures as it sits on highly prized Denver property, but it has some great glints of the Trolley Stop Park it always was meant to be.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
For all my sins, Thorpe Park. Been visiting since I was 6 weeks old, it's a huge part of my life these days. I just love it.
Though even then, there's plenty of people who love it more than me.

I have a big soft spot for Walibi Holland, even with their brash, in-your-face marketing. I just can't help but smile every time I even think about one of my visits.

There's also some small parks I have a big liking for tbf, which though not hated, I do probably like a bit more than most. I'll always sing the praises of Plopsa Coo and Parc du Bocasse till the cows come home.

Will

Strata Poster
While I don't much like Tivoli Gardens, I DO like Bakken. The whole place just has a crazy 'we shouldn't do this, so we're going to do it anyway' vibe about it and their Mine Train and the infamous Tornado are the perfect embodiment of that.

Not been in a long while, and obviously both 'major' coasters are no more, but while I wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of hours there, I've always had a secret affection for M&Ds. It's just so... **** it manages to be fab :D See also Parc St Paul.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
My list also includes Thorpe park - Good ride selection, some nice theming, and I don't have too many problems with misbehaving customers (couple of que jump incidents, and a couple of littering moments)

Also adding Walibi Belgium - lovely setting , some great rides, and I enjoyed the food!

Mentioning legoland windsor too - mainly for the hillside setting and miniland

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Well my first one is fairly obvious...

Energylandia... It takes a beating from other members regarding it's lineup, as well as it's tacky theming (although I would have agreed with them back in 2017 / 2018 when some of them last visited.) However, imo it's now got one of the best top 3 coaster lineups of any park, as well as mid tier coasters like Speed, Formula, Mayan and Dragon to fill the time. Also, with every year that passes, the park looks better and better, as the landscaping matures, to the point now that some of the areas that were horrible in 2018, are now actually very photogenic. I love this park, I love visiting, but equally I really love watching it evolve.

Walibi Holland... It has Untamed, Goliath and Lost Gravity... What more needs saying... Just avoid the warmer months if you're scared of wasps!!!

Thorpe Park... Gets a lot of criticism, even I've been guilty of it, but I do like Thorpe Park, A LOT. It has either the 2nd or 3rd best coaster lineup of any UK park, potentially be number 1 soon. But it also has the best balance of flats and coasters of any park in the UK.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Energylandia - Apparently this is an unpopular opinion, but I absolutely loved this park and don't really know what is not to love. It has two top ten coasters in Zadra and Hyperion as well as solid rides in Formula and Abyssus. Then a myriad of fun coasters and rides, almost all of which are very well themed. The park is impeccably clean and very well operated. And again, the theming, especially in the newer sections, was fantastic. Tack on $3 beers and an absurd amount of merchandise, I adored this place. Get on the bandwagon.

Dreamworld - I'm not actually sure that I like this park more than most. It doesn't seem that many have made it to the park, but I really loved it. It exceeded my expectations. Maybe I was just ecstatic to be at a park that I had dreamed of going to since I was a kid, but I was really pleasantly surprised by how nice of a park it was. I had a fantastic time. While I feel that Warner Brothers Movie World tends to get all the attention on the Gold Coast, I much preferred Dreamworld.

SeaWorld Orlando - It is quite possibly my favorite park in Orlando. The coasters are excellent, the food and drink options are great, there is an abundance of marine life exhibits, and it's never as busy as the Universal and Disney parks. I simply don't grow tired of it. I can get a good local beer from Flamecraft Bar and then practically walk on to Mako. What is there not to like?

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
I gotta go with Six Flags Magic Mountain. I think people trash on it because it's six flags, but it's actually very clean, I've never had anything break down on my 2 visits there. It also has world class coasters, Twisted Colossus, X2, Full Throttle, West Coast Racers, Tatsu, Riddler's Revenge, Ninja, Batman, Scream, and soon to be Wonder Woman.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
SeaWorld Orlando - It is quite possibly my favorite park in Orlando. The coasters are excellent, the food and drink options are great, there is an abundance of marine life exhibits, and it's never as busy as the Universal and Disney parks. I simply don't grow tired of it. I can get a good local beer from Flamecraft Bar and then practically walk on to Mako. What is there not to like?
Very much this. No one ever seems to mention Sea World in the big Orlando debate, and yes Blackfish makes you feel slightly conflicted, but as a park its outstanding

Matt N

CF Legend
I’ve got to say that I very nearly put SeaWorld Orlando in my initial post, but I decided against it because I worried that saying I liked SeaWorld would stir the pot too much in terms of things like Blackfish et al.

But now some others have mentioned it, I’ve got to say that I too like it more than most seem to. It’s got a very nice, relaxed atmosphere, some really nice theming in places, a great coaster selection (Mako was absolutely gorgeous, sitting at my all-time #1 spot, Kraken was pretty great, only narrowly missing my top 10, and while Manta wasn’t my cup of tea, I still appreciate its value within the lineup), and I think SeaWorld does some very valuable conservation work. A very nice park, in my opinion!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Walibi Holland.
One of my favourites. I've been 3 times (4 if you count my Griswold incident) and always had a really great day. 2 amazing coasters, decent fillers and a great social media output (you remember the knuffelbeers, right?).
Oh, and did I mention The Clinic? Still one of the absolute highlights of my entire goonhood.

I also rather liked Walibi Belgium, really looking forward to getting back there. Not just for Kondaa, but also Pulsar, Psyke Underground, Loup Garou (underrated) and their excellent mine train.
Even their SLC is better than most.

Port Aventura.
Yeah I know it's not perfect - chavvy Spaniards, queue jumpers, dodgy ops sometimes, bit of graffiti - but it was the first major Euro resort I visited and it remains my favourite. I think it's a gorgeous place.

Kings Island.
@DelPiero made me rush this place - we had to get to Cedar Point see (which is a valid enough reason, I guess) - but honestly, I was kind of enjoying myself and would have liked to spend a bit more time here, get some re-rides and a few more flats n stuff. It's really quite good, y'know.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Kings Island.
@DelPiero made me rush this place - we had to get to Cedar Point see (which is a valid enough reason, I guess) - but honestly, I was kind of enjoying myself and would have liked to spend a bit more time here, get some re-rides and a few more flats n stuff. It's really quite good, y'know.
giphy.gif

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I also quite liked Walibi Holland, but I did go for the Halloween event as a live which clearly elevated it. Great day, so many highlights.

Carowinds has historically had a bit of a bad rap too, but my day there was nearly as perfect as you can get. Nighthawk and Vortex are absolutely awful creds of course but they have some of the worlds best to counter it, good throughput, good food options, no hassle.

Also a big fan of Energylandia too, been a few times now and it's getting better and better. I think they need to sort out the food though, it's not great yet.