What's new

Parks, coasters and literature

oriolat2

Giga Poster
This might seem a bit odd but is there any book (as in, novel) that is set in a theme/amusement park or focuses on them?

I am not talking about the occasional dorky book we all have in our shelves about John Wardley and how he became a coaster superstar. I am talking about proper literature where we can both spend a nice piece of time with a cup of coffee/tea devouring chapters of a boook and also get excited because the novel pictures one of our favourite places in the world: parks and/or coasters.

I say we start a list with basic information (i.e: author, title and maybe a brief description [spoiler-free!]) and just copy and paste it along the following messages.

- Lincon Child, Utopia.
Summary: set in Nevada, just like Las Vegas, Utopia is the ultimate indoor theme park. A computer scientist is brought in to check on the security and safety systems after discovering that the park might be under attack. This book uses so many references to actual theme park operations that you would think that the author himself is an enthusiast or spent quite a bit of time doing research.

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've got a vague recollection of something called The Funhouse, possibly/probably by Dean Koontz?

Can't be arsed to look it up, but it was a crappy horror. Grew out of them as a teenager.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I forget the author but believe there's a book called Twisted set in a theme park where all the rides are real and fight each other at night....

Not only have I made that sound cheesy and terrible, it is and is terribly written as well. Only made it to the end of the 1st chapter of a free online copy before giving up...

davidm

Strata Poster
Joyland by Stephen King (link)

Was pretty readable (as are most of King's) and relatively short compared to a lot of his horror stuff - set in/around a little park, not really goon-geeky at all, more about the characters working there / some mystery shenanigans sort of stuff.

Kalistos

Mega Poster
There is a guy, a coasterfan I think, who wrote this book in French if you happen to read French, "Histoire d'attractions". I remember seeing his advertisement on coastersworld , but I haven't read it