What's new

Overrated and Underrated Roller Coasters

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Smiler and Fenix I've never heard to be overrated
Many people say that Smiler is bearable, though to be brutally honest, it makes Condor look like a brand new B&M Hyper!
Secondly, most people state that Fenix is the best Wing in Europe, however, I personally prefer Swarm.
Taron, Wodan and BM I would like to know how many times you've ridden them... Because in Europe they're at least top 3 in their type.
4 rides on Taron, twice on everything else.

Taron; To be honest, it didn't do much for me besides the launches and one moment of floater, with that, I prefer Icon for example as it has a better layout that includes more airtime, inversions and actual drops (The latter Intamin clearly forgot to include on Taron).

Wodan; I didn't rate it that highly as would prefer it if it had an out-and-back layout instead of a Twister. GCI Twisters just don't do much for me.

Black Mamba; I didn't find it as whipy and forceful as the other Inverts I've ridden (The two Nemesis rides). It didn't help that it was much rougher and more shaky those. With that, I prefer those rides to Black Mamba.
Lost Gravity and D'wervelwind I've not heard to be low rated (For the second one it is seen as one of the best spinners even). But for LG I do have to say it's one of the worst things Mack has ever created (in respect to the available technologies at the time).
Xpress could get more love indeed, because of the entire experience, the ride itself is like any other Vekoma from that time...
I rate Lost Gravity highly as it is great fun and every element is fantastic, the rattle didn't bother me. I found D'wervelwind to be much more intense and fun than people give it credit for.

Last edited:

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
They did not just put Galactica, Stealth and Icon above The Swarm-
Swarm is boring anyway IMO, i get more forces on Flying Fish at the same park.

Anyway here's my two cents on this thread:
Overated: Whizzer, Millennium Force, Swarm, Red Force, Valravn.
Underated: Freespins, Silver Star, Wicked Twister, Blue Streak, Inferno.

astead04

Roller Poster
Swarm is boring anyway IMO, i get more forces on Flying Fish at the same park.

Anyway here's my two cents on this thread:
Overated: Whizzer, Millennium Force, Swarm, Red Force, Valravn.
Underated: Freespins, Silver Star, Wicked Twister, Blue Streak, Inferno.
The Swarm isn't underrated, it's super smooth and not every good coaster has to be forceful. Also the theming around it, the way the ride interacts with that theming and the way its presented is brilliant. Best coaster at Thorpe for me.

Matt N

CF Legend
The Swarm isn't underrated, it's super smooth and not every good coaster has to be forceful. Also the theming around it, the way the ride interacts with that theming and the way its presented is brilliant. Best coaster at Thorpe for me.
After reriding today, I agree! Such an immensely fun coaster, and it's not exactly short of forces! For me, it had just the right amount of force; my #3 coaster!

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Idk i just find the ride super boring and short. I don't like wing coasters in general and Swarm is worse than X Flight and Gatekeeper IMO.
Its not a bad ride, but i would just call it OK, i don't think its anything near Nemesis or even Inferno, i would rank it #3 in the park and barely in my top ten in the UK.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Taron; To be honest, it didn't do much for me besides the launches and one moment of floater, with that, I prefer Icon for example as it has a better layout that includes more airtime, inversions and actual drops (The latter Intamin clearly forgot to include on Taron).
If all you got was floater on Taron then there was something seriously wrong on the day(s) you rode. As it has at least 2 moments of serious ejector, as well as a few floaty moments. That twisted moment after the second launch is still some of strongest ejector I’ve experienced, and there is now not too many of Europe’s well known airtime machines that I’ve not ridden.

Having said that, there was one visit to PL where Taron was not giving me very much at all until later in the day, but that was not the norm, and no idea what happened there. It just happened to be the visit I took my goon daughter on too, and she was wondering why I’d been raving about it so much for years, until she did the ERT later in the evening!!!

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
If all you got was floater on Taron then there was something seriously wrong on the day(s) you rode. As it has at least 2 moments of serious ejector, as well as a few floaty moments. That twisted moment after the second launch is still some of strongest ejector I’ve experienced, and there is now not too many of Europe’s well known airtime machines that I’ve not ridden.

Having said that, there was one visit to PL where Taron was not giving me very much at all until later in the day, but that was not the norm, and no idea what happened there. It just happened to be the visit I took my goon daughter on too, and she was wondering why I’d been raving about it so much for years, until she did the ERT later in the evening!!!
OK, its floajector at best (One moment after the first over-banked turn. BTW their was only laterals on the twists.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
OK, its floajector at best (One moment after the first over-banked turn. BTW their was only laterals on the twists.
Very strange that you got no ejector at all on the first air time hill, or on that twisted airtime hill in the second half. But hey, I have no answers, have personally ridden it well over a hundred times and had very few poor rides, and certainly none as bad as you describe. Hope you get to try it again and experience what I have.

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Very strange that you got no ejector at all on the first air time hill, or on that twisted airtime hill in the second half. But hey, I have no answers, have personally ridden it well over a hundred times and had very few poor rides, and certainly none as bad as you describe. Hope you get to try it again and experience what I have.
To be honest, I think that it's my preferences that mean that I don't rate Taron as highly as others. In general I'm not too keen on rides with layouts focused primarily on banked turns (Taron, GCIs etc).

On another note, I do rate Icon more highly for example as it's layout provides more variety than Taron's.

emoo

Hyper Poster
You can add Flug der Dämonen as being a better wing than Swarm (if not - Underrated!). Its still a decent ride and even though it could have been better (and was when you could ride backwards) I wouldn't be shocked at anyone seeing it as one of the better rides at the park for a variety of reasons. This though:
i get more forces on Flying Fish at the same park.

Really? More than just shifting from side to side given the lap bar instead of vest restraint?

Overrated - Dueling Dragons: They were really good but far from the best out there. Perhaps its the more likely invert people have been on or because I only went during the Harry Potter non dueling days.

Underrated - Goliath at La Ronde: Ok not my favorite and the location is off putting. But its basic layout has a simple charm while giving you lots of hills.

I thought Mind Bender @ 6Flags Over Georgia was going to be overrated but turned out its a load of fun.

Sometimes I think the hate on Smiler is overrated but its had such a balls up that should never have happened so will join in. Got to be seen as better than Thorpes Colossus though?

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Really? More than just shifting from side to side given the lap bar instead of vest restraint?
I have to admit i hate the B&M vest restraints, i preferred Corkscrew over Valravn because of those bulky things.
Swarm just has no force, i would take Corkscrew over it too, its not a bad ride but i like intensity and a bit of freedom when i ride rides and Swarm just doesn't excite me at all. The theming is great though and it is a B&M after all.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Sometimes I think the hate on Smiler is overrated but its had such a balls up that should never have happened so will join in. Got to be seen as better than Thorpes Colossus though?
Nah, front half of the train on Colossus is ok, I wouldn't queue longer than 20 minutes for it mind, and it has a better soundtrack.
Not really fair to Colossus or any other ride to be compared with the Smiler though dude, harsh ;)