Do you think a overbank turn is a Inversion

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jer

Strata Poster
Another simple yes or No coaster poll, i have recently been looking at overbank Turns and wondering if you can consider them inversions, i say Yes beacuse some to bring you upside down.

Almost

Hyper Poster
This is going to turn into the Inclined loop thread.

Most aren't, and the manufacturer says it isn't, so it isn't. No.

The only exception is the Stengel Dive on Goliath.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, an overbanked turn is not an inversion. And, even though others may like to differ, overbanked turns IMO are nothing like inclined loops, and are two completely different things.

Overbanked turns are much more gradual, and less like an inversion than an inclined loop, which is to inversions as splenda is to sugar in my mind.

joe

Mega Poster
I dont see them as an inversion, only if they do go upside down. Overbanks dont, they just throw you onto your side. If they are classed as a cutback and do go upside down, then yes.

Almost

Hyper Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
The only exception is the Stengel Dive on Goliath.

I don't agree.

http://www.rcdb.com/id1565.htm

Walibi's website also says nothing of an inversion (or of the element itself). The turn is overbanked because of a quick diving turn that must be made after the hill is completed (there would not be enough room to bank and turn after the top of the hill).

The only "overbanked turn" that is considered an inversion is a cutback. Drachen Fire had one, and Space Mountain DLP has one (known as a "Tongue"):

http://www.rcdb.com/ig112.htm?picture=4

No other overbanked turns are inversions.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=48

Look pretty upside down to me.

Sam

Giga Poster
^ Exactly.

An overbanked turn is not an inversion. The track does not invert at any point in it and nor does the train. It is therefore not an inversion.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
An overbanked turn isn't designed to turn the rider upside down, whereas an inversion is. An overbanked turn is designed to make a direction change smoother and more comfortable at higher speeds, and conveniently makes the ride a bit more thrilling at the same time! So no, it isn't.

With the Stengel Dive, it doesn't really fit the bill of what I said above, as it is really a unique element just to thrill, but its basically just an overbank on the top of an airtime hill. There's overbanks that bank more than that though, so I wouldn't say that's an inversion either.

Fi

Mega Poster
Well I've actually been on it and I wouldn't consider it as an inversion. Yes it feels like your about to go into one, but you don't (it's a brilliant felling)

Dude

Roller Poster
Overbanked turns are exactly what the title says and overbanked turn. The only way I can truely classify something asan inversion is if it reaches 180 degrees. Then and only then is it an inversion. And no an inclined loop isnt an inversion either its a loop set on its side so no its not a loop. My first important post in a long time. Yay.

No they're not inversions. It seems like ride manufacturers try to consider everything they can an inversion (*cough*inclined loops*cough*), but they don't consider overbanked turns one, thus, it's not an inversion.

Also, on most of them, they don't seem to put the riders in a full upside down position (same as inclined loops), so it couldn't really be called one.