What's new

OTSRs...obsolete?

S

SimonSays99

Growing up with Schwarzkopf coasters I prefer lapbars wherever possible. Modern hydraulic lapbars close seamless and even can even be pressured down and/or released according to specs. On wilder rides the Maurer clamshells provide best security by even dangling upside down with waving your arms. If there have to be OTSRs I prefer the new Vekoma vest system that is not rock solid but gives in a little on upper body movement and gets stiffer the farther the upper body moves out of the seat. Also with modern racecar-like seats that are supporting your sitting position you don't need the OTSRs anymore to keep the body upright in snappy switching turns.

Also think that seatbelts are mostly obsolete. They were used to make out if a rider would fit into the seat. Even 70s Schwarzkopf coasters had small green/yellow indicator lights showing if the lapbar was down far enough - so I guess with modern tech this should be possible today without seatbelts.

andrus

Giga Poster
Skyrush probably isn't the coaster on which harnesses should modeled, though. I can't see how it's much different from the Helix or Lost Gravity harnesses, and I didn't find the restraints on Skyrush to be too bad, but I've heard lots of praise for the restraints on Helix and a lot of complaining about Skyrush.
Tbh the restraints of Skyrush and Mack are nothing alike. While Skyrush only has a thin bar touching your thighs, the Mack restraints are more akin to B&M clamshells; with a large area of contact which snuggs nicely around your thighs.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Thinking about this further, OTSRs carry a certain aesthetic. Riding a multi-inversion roller coaster without OTSRs would feel weird, as having a chest grip simply feels normal. It is also the tendency for GP to grab for where a handle bar can be found; sometimes using a lapbar grip or other railing on the train for a grab. While these grips are not intended for use as "hold on" during the ride, folks default to this normal style of riding. So in a way, OTSRs can be convenient for not added safety, but simply easier rider experience.

BigBad

Mega Poster
Tbh the restraints of Skyrush and Mack are nothing alike. While Skyrush only has a thin bar touching your thighs, the Mack restraints are more akin to B&M clamshells; with a large area of contact which snuggs nicely around your thighs.
I meant the idea of an overhead lap bar.

CoasterNate99

Roller Poster
I really like the idea of overhead lap bars. They allow for easy belt check (due to it being on the outside), they can be used on floorless and inverted coasters, and they are more accommodating for smaller and larger riders. I imagine they will eventually replace OTSRs for most coasters (as they have been with Mack, Intamin, and Vekoma).