What's new

Other Coaster Communities

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
So CF isn't the only online roller coaster community.

Some others, to name a few, are coasterbuzz and american coaster enthusiaists.

I was wondering: Are any CFers also members to these other communities and attend their park meet-ups along with CF's park meetups (CF Lives)?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I am members of other sites, but only occasionally browse/post and never attend their meet-ups as I'm not much of a member on their sites.

I have met with some Ride Guide people and attended the fail-of-a-day Saw Media event after CF spited me </3 :p But I generally just hung out with CFers that day anyway.

Mike

Giga Poster
I've been on 3 TPR trips (East Coast 2008, West Coast 2009 and Midde America 2010) and have met some amazing people on each one of them, but I don't really frequent their forums too often.

Otherwise, I'm just on here, which are by far the best forums and best group of people from any "theme park community" anyway in my opinion, so I don't see too much point in joining others :)

Ben

CF Legend
I did two TPR trips, East Coast 08 and West Coast 09, and did have a fantastic time, met some people who played big parts in my life (good, and um, not-so good but still important) and don't regret doing either of them one bit, but, I wouldn't do one now. For now, I'm more happy to do my own thing that I've arranged, for cheaper. They seem to have gotten even more than they were in 08 and 09, and it's not worth it for me anymore. But, like I say, those two trips were the best two holidays I've ever had, and they were both amazing, so I don't regret them at all.

But, I don't go on the forums or see anyone from there in a "TPR" context anymore, just as friends that I see as friends. Or ****s I once knew that can now go die in a hole. You know.

Snoo

The Legend
1. Bashing of other communities won't be happening kids. :D
2. Moving this to GD.. as it kind of is a general discussion.. and schtuff.

As for me.. I'm on Atari, Thrillnetwork, Coasternet, CoasterFanatics and CF. This is the only website I visit everyday tbh. The others are only occasional. I was thinking about going to a C-Net meet up but meh.. don't know the people well enough over there.. on top of the fact I had a 'disagreement' with one of the people over there.. kinda threw me off tbh.

Plus.. as noted.. this really is the best community on the net. I've been on numerous and really no others hold a candle to this place. <3

STC

Mega Poster
In my experience, although it is an Alton Towers based site, TTF is the only British site that rivals CoasterForce for level of activity and quality of discussion, even just in the "All other attractions..." section.

Also I would argue that it's the site that's had the biggest success with meet-ups, with constantly growing numbers (over 70 at opening meet), frequent road trips around Europe and regular mini-meets every Sunday in main season.

Error

Strata Poster
I've been a part of The Point Online, which was a Cedar Point fanbase forum and my first forum. Oh boy, it wasn't pretty. Mostly when I got banned permanently for asking about other parks...

CF has always been home for me, and likely won't change. The mods aren't asses, everyone is treated fairly, and honestly we're just one weird family. I've never been on many other forums so I can't say anything about coasterbuzz or TPR.

Blah blah I heart CF forever.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I spend time on TTF too and have met up with quite a few of the members. They're generally a good bunch and the site is pretty welcoming and informative. It reminds me of (a much quieter and less abrasive) CF quite a few years back. Lots of new members finding theme parks, really UK centric and just spreading out now into Europe.

When I have time, I try to keep up with Bicko's Pleasure Beach Experience site too, not really had the chance for months though.

Save Dreamland is another community I hang with, but again, not so much recently as I don't have the time to commit, but it's a really great place for anyone interested in the history of parks and all the stuff that comes along with them.

CF has really always been my enthusiast "home" though, and will remain so (I've changed the locks to my office in CF towers so Ian can't get rid of me even if he wanted to ;) ).

Personally, I think it's good there's such a wide range of places for people to settle and to fit in where they feel most comfortable :)

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'm not a member but I do go on TPR because they often do trip reports to places I've never seen before, so I go on the site to check those out.

Other than that, it's just CF for me really.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I've become bored of almost every other coaster community I've tried, and banned from one. Most suffer from over-moderation and are thus quiet and hostile environments where you have to tred far too cautiously, so there is barely any discussion and that's no fun. Others are so alive that your opinion is worthless and gets lost amongst unfunny memes. Some are weirdly fansites of people, not roller coasters, dunno what that's all about.

CF is far from perfect, it suffers a bit of the same-old thing due to there being far more UK members, but now that a good few of us have travelled it's getting better.

I read TowersTimes quite a lot, but rarely post. That place is quite nice with good information and it's just busy enough but not too busy, but I never have much to say.

I read NewsPlusNotes' blog a lot but I'm unaware if they even have a forum. Might check actually...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm far too busy with CF to spend time intensely on other websites, but most of my communication with them tends to be with my equivalent. I'm all up for sharing information, links, etc so everybody has the opportunity to delve as deep into this hobby as they want.

I don't want to digress from the topic in hand, but one thing I can't stand is rivally or people sticking up for their "home" site. Doing so actually causes conflict and makes a site appear arrogant, even if you intentions are well meant. There's enough choice floating about so people can find something that suits them best.

CF all the way for me, but I would say that :wink:

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
STC said:
In my experience, although it is an Alton Towers based site, TTF is the only British site that rivals CoasterForce for level of activity and quality of discussion, even just in the "All other attractions..." section.

Also I would argue that it's the site that's had the biggest success with meet-ups, with constantly growing numbers (over 70 at opening meet), frequent road trips around Europe and regular mini-meets every Sunday in main season.

I post on TTF regularly. It's a great coaster community and the people are really friendly. In fact I'm hoping to attend one of their meets in May.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I haven't really strayed too far from CF, seeing as how I'm fairly new to the enthusiast scene. I'll pop into Tower Times forum every now and again (but rarely post), as well as Screamscape for news. I tried TPR a couple of times and thought their trip reports were really good (an amusing one about Blackpool's dark rides sticks out in my memory), but the forum itself seemed quite aggressive so I didn't stick around. I'm sure CF will be home for a long time to come, it's friendly and homely with just the right level of in-jokes to info. :--D

My only wish is that there were more (and updated) CF park guides, as I find it really infuriating when I'm looking for a new park, to find profiles of rides that no longer exist. Although I hear good rumors on that front from the new site furie...

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
g

I love CoasterForce, and it appears that CF, ACE, and TPR are the only sites with live park meetups. All the other sites are just discussion forums.

As of now I am only a CF member, but down the line I may join ACE or TPR as well to meet more people and attend more park meetups.

marc

CF Legend
The only other sites I am a member of are TPR and The Ride Guide.

I just look at TPR, I do not really post.

I hardly ever go on The Ride Guide as nothing really happens there.

CF is the 1st site I ever joined and the only one I am really active on.

T0M

Hyper Poster
This place, TowersTimes and Valley Mania are the most pleasant places I think. The only gripe I would have with Theme Park Review is that it is largely non-relevant to me as 95% of the discussion regards what's in the United States.

Jer

Strata Poster
CF and CoasterCrazy are the only sites I visit regularly.

CoasterCrazy I really only visit for the exchange, I rarely post, been on the site for about the same time as CF and only have 700 posts. I've also never gone to one of their meets up or even met someone on there in person.

I used to have a TPR account but I dont go there anymore.

Most of the other sites i've joined but never visit anymore are random No Limits sites.

Snoo

The Legend
Mysterious Sue said:
My only wish is that there were more (and updated) CF park guides, as I find it really infuriating when I'm looking for a new park, to find profiles of rides that no longer exist. Although I hear good rumors on that front from the new site furie...

That's what the new site is going to do for us. More, updated content at a much quicker rate then before. This site just takes an immense amount of time and energy to even add a page to a guide.. but NuCF will make that a thing of the past love! :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ahem... Calm down Snoo... Unless you are going to carry on and offer a free egg sandwich with every visit too :p

Yes, it's easier, but it still requires work, and visiting the park and stuff...