What's new

Other changes at C:WoA 2013

peep

CF Legend
It's still early days yet and with most attention going on over at the Zufari site I wasn't really expecting anything new elsewhere in the park. I'd heard last year that Burger King was being removed and replaced with a new in-house restaurant. Turns out this was true and they've clearly decided to put a decent budget behind it. They seem to have taken the decision to renovate most of the Transylvania area while they're at it.

So let's have a little look at the exterior changes at the new burger place...

DSC06513.jpg

As you can see they're still at the point of removing the old exterior. However the upper section of the main building looks like it's close to its final appearance. As you can see clearly in the below photo a new character with a giant burger has been added.

DSC06514.jpg

Goon shot...

DSC06515.jpg

Goodbye old theming...

DSC06516.jpg

DSC06518.jpg

They've only really starting tearing back the old decor on the other side so far...

DSC06519.jpg

Elsewhere they've changed the old refresh cafe (the one with fake snow on the roof) into a whole building. It's already open and although it's mainly just a change to the exterior/extension of the original building the new style is much brighter and welcoming.

DSC06522.jpg

DSC06523.jpg

It feels a bit rushed (just look at the roof) and the interior looks even more unfinished but this could be due to them trying to get it ready for Zoo weekends. Some of it feels a bit poorly designed too, for disabled access there is a ramp to the side of the building which is squeezed in next to the tower but it looks really tight for say a wheelchair.

Inside there is also a little kids playing area (a few toys) but that looks really unfinished (walls were just bare wood). Concept art which found its way on to the net last month shows that a fake fireplace is/was planned where the kids area is. It's also a bit weird that they've just kept the old picnic benches inside so although you're now enclosed it still feels outside.

The Vampire/Bubbleworks shop was also gutted and given a new lick of paint and the main counter has moved into the center. Once again, unfinished for the moment.

Chessington do like to keep adding and improving over the season so it'll be interesting to see if there are any other small surprises for us regulars this year.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Other improvements at C:WoA 2013

I do approve of the refurb, seeing as the spires we covered in pigeon ****, but I really don't feel that the new look feels very 'Transylvania'. I don't want the rest of it to go that way, I always felt that building really made the area feel like it felt. Especially the interior.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

When I saw the topic title, I thought maybe a bomb had gone off. Oh well.

peep

CF Legend

The new look is definitely a more brighter happy Bavarian style rather than the dark moody Transylvania that we all grew up with. I'm still not sure I'm happy with the change, maybe if they changed Bubbleworks into something that doesn't make me want to hurt things then it'd work better.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah, why is Transylvania now themed to Germany?

It's less about it being "not what we grew up with" and more with it just being tragically inaccurate.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Tragically inaccurate will match their China and Wild Asia areas then.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Must say the Merlin parks are having some wonderful matinence work this closed season. If the X refurb is confirmed I may end up with a heart attack.

(And whilst your're at it Chessie, do something with Bubbleworks)

Rachel

Coaster MILF

I love sitting in that building hearing the roar of Vampire going over the top. Always added to the whole "Transylvania" experience to me.

I hope they keep the interior pretty much the same, always fitted in so well.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Right, hearing rumours on Thorpe Park Mania and other sites, is there a chance of the old archway entrance for the Vampire returning? The current one doesn't exactly scream out terror does it.

Nic

Strata Poster

I've got a feeling we asked management about the entrance arch in the past. Pretty sure we were told it wouldn't be possible for some technical reason. I can't remember if there's some gubbins now located behind it or what. Of course, I could've imagined the whole thing.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Chessington are getting grief over on Facebook for stopping admissions at 11am both days this week. Only the zoo (and three rides) are open so it's filling easily and the people who can't get there for opening time are basically saying their lives are ruined.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

They should put themselves into a box and call the RSPCA ;)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

The Archways wont be returning, simply because if you open those doors, it lead straight onto the Fasttrack queue. Can't really have a main queue, in the fasttrack queue, although we used to open it up on quiet days.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Three days in a row now the park has hit capacity, people are still moaning. Why can't people understand? Get there for opening, you'll probably get in.

nadroJ

CF Legend

They really pushed the advertising for this half term though, can't help but think that may have been detrimental in the long run, people are pissed.

marc

CF Legend

Problem is if only a small number of rides are open they have to let in less people hence why people are being turned away.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

peep said:
Goodbye old theming...

DSC06516.jpg

Noooooo! This is not an improvement! The Transylvania area was the best-themed section of the park; and the Goffic BK was its' brilliant, dare I say - atmospheric- center piece.
Why does being a 'family park' so often transpire into 'making everything boring and bland'?

nealbie

CF Legend

It's definitely an improvement. They've started ripping the place down. Piece by piece.

Yay ^_^

marc

CF Legend

Find it strange that they had all winter to do this but they pick now?