What's new

Orlando, Atlantic City, Vegas, etc. Skyscrapers | ThrillCorp

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Re: I Drive Orlando | Skyscraper| US Thrill Rides

GuyWithAStick said:
It's probably going to be a one trick pony(500+ feet tall). Besides, it's literally a 500 foot tall El Loco slapped onto a building.

Still looks fun and **** scary!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk
I don't see how, it has a really decent length to it, last a while and has some really fantastic elements, one trick pony tends to mean it only does one thing and is over, this does absolutely loads.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^ Well if that's the case(about one trick ponies), then so many people have lied to me. :(

Now that I've actually seen the POV, I see what you mean. This thing looks really long!

Hobbes

Mega Poster

Maybe it's just me, but when I go through an inversion, I don't really find myself looking down at the ground. So while the outside banked turn and drops will be amazing (and potentially terrifying) from that height, I'm not really sure that the inversions will have the same effect throughout the ride.

The large amount of trims that I assume will be present are kind of a double-edged sword as far as I'm concerned. It'll probably build anticipation for each individual drop/element and give riders a chance to see how high they are, but there's always the chance that it'll kill the pacing.

And of course there's always the concern of how smooth it'll be.

Either way, it's nice to see such a tall coaster that actually has an extended layout, even if it doesn't build up the speed that a ride of this size potentially could. And while I'm still a little skeptical about how it'll turn out, the POV makes it look much better then my original impressions of the concept. At the very least, the first few elements will be an absolutely ridiculous experience, and I'd love to give it a chance to prove my concerns wrong sometime in the next few years.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Ok, the 3 records it'll break are:

Tallets coaster
Highest inversion
Steepest drop(123°)

Sounds like a winner!

EDIT: Another record: Only structure with 2 beyond vertical drops.

Dutchess

Roller Poster

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2014-11-21 kl. 01.31.22.png
    Skärmavbild 2014-11-21 kl. 01.31.22.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 168

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Hobbes said:
Maybe it's just me, but when I go through an inversion, I don't really find myself looking down at the ground. So while the outside banked turn and drops will be amazing (and potentially terrifying) from that height, I'm not really sure that the inversions will have the same effect throughout the ride.
Carrying this notion forward, I remember when riding Insanity atop Stratosphere Tower, you did not get a real sense of "seeing out" during the ride. The spinning was fast enough that the outside world was a blur, and the only real view you got was that of looking at the Stratosphere Tower's structure.

So I would expect with this coaster, the slower beginning portions will allow riders to look out. But as speed and inversions pick-up, I'd anticipate riders to not have a true sense of how high up they are, only focusing on the immediate track before them.

Hobbes

Mega Poster

^Right. And this is what leads me to not be as excited for this as some others seem to be. The opening elements will be fantastic pretty much solely due to the height, but the height won't make the entire ride good. The quality of the majority of the layout will come down to smoothness and forcefulness, and there's no way to judge that at this point.

marc

CF Legend

This coaster is all about the height and the fact you are inverting that high.

It's not about the speed or force or anything like that.

Hobbes

Mega Poster

^The height is certainly the ride's selling point, but as I have said in my previous posts, I don't have a tendency to look towards the ground when I am inverting. Therefore, once the coaster reaches the main portion of its layout, the height will most likely cease to be a (or at least be a greatly reduced) factor in my enjoyment of the ride. So my enjoyment of the ride will be due to how the coaster performs as a whole. The height will be fantastic for the opening elements, but it most likely will not determine whether or not I enjoy the ride overall.

I know that height is the point of the coaster, all I'm saying is that height alone won't carry the ride past the first couple elements. If the main layout doesn't turn out well, the ride won't be particularly enjoyable once you start descending the tower.

Dutchess

Roller Poster

^ Frankly I think lots of people are going to find it thrilling solely based on the height, particularly people who don't necessarily analyze coasters the way enthusiasts tend to do - that said I doubt it will carry its excitement and enjoyment only based on its height.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Re: I-Drive Orlando | Skyscraper| US Thrill Rides

This seems kind of interesting:

2016/2017 - Skyscraper at the SKYPLEX - Confirmed - (2/12/15) Orlando will soon be home to the world's tallest freefall attraction. According to the latest press release from the Skyplex people, the towering attraction will include SKYFALL, a 450 foot freefall drop ride from the tower as well. The current record for a freefall ride is Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom at Six Flags Great Adventure which drops riders 415 feet. The press release also mentions that the Skyplex will have a 55-story Glass Elevator ride for those taking a trip up to the observation deck at the top.

Source: http://screamscape.com/html/orlando.htm#SKYPLEX

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

yes, yes, yes! I just read about that on Attractions Magazine!

Intricks

Strata Poster

This sounds amazing. I seriously cant wait for this to open up now!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

That actually looks amazing. Is this the same place that is getting the massive ferris wheel and the world's tallest coaster? I'm confused :p

EDIT: My bad. I thought this was in the 'other ride construction' topic. So it IS the same place as the world's tallest coaster as this it it's topic :p Is the ferris wheel being built here too?

_koppen

Hyper Poster

The coaster is apparently being made by Intamin, as well as the drop ride, but designed by Alan schilke's company, no involvement of S&S.

S

SimonSays99

No, the wheel is about a block down the street.

Meaning you likely have to go by car between attractions... :wink:

Overall this makes want to postpone my next Orlando trip to late 2017. I originally planned for early 2016 as my ESTA will still be valid...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Latest from Screamscape:

While the SkyPlex announced yesterday their plans to open the world's tallest freefall drop ride at 450 feet, it seems that they may have jumped the gun a little bit on that claim. A few hundred miles to the south the SkyRise Miami tower has begun the first phases of construction on their 1000 foot tall waterfront tower project. In addition to the controlled Sky Plunge extreme jump attraction the tower will also include the SkyRise Drop... a true freefall tower ride style attraction featuring a bench of 12 seats across that will rise and drop riders approximately 650 feet and approach a speed of 95 mph before hitting the magnetic brakes at the bottom.

This is too much for me... I need to lay down.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Hyde said:
Latest from Screamscape:

While the SkyPlex announced yesterday their plans to open the world's tallest freefall drop ride at 450 feet, it seems that they may have jumped the gun a little bit on that claim. A few hundred miles to the south the SkyRise Miami tower has begun the first phases of construction on their 1000 foot tall waterfront tower project. In addition to the controlled Sky Plunge extreme jump attraction the tower will also include the SkyRise Drop... a true freefall tower ride style attraction featuring a bench of 12 seats across that will rise and drop riders approximately 650 feet and approach a speed of 95 mph before hitting the magnetic brakes at the bottom.

This is too much for me... I need to lay down.
Omg....i honestly just think my heart skipped a beat at reading this.

I need it so much right now <3