What's new

Online Merlin ticket sales

spicy

Giga Poster
Does anyone know the percentage of total tickets sold online for the UK Merlin parks?

Or can anyone point me in the direction of an article that has this kind of information..

Might be a shot in the dark but I need the figures of online ticket sales and can't find the information I need anywhere :x

Thanks!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd also be interesting in seeing these results.

Take Alton for example, their normal entry price is £39.60, online it's £31.68, but with a BOGOF it's only £19.80 on the gate.

I wonder how many people would still buy online?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If it's any use - which it won't be - but when me and Nic were chatting to the marketing manger at LWV on Saturday, he revealed that only 7% of total ticket sales are full price, pay-on-the-day tickets.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
7%, bloody hell! I knew it wouldn't be much, but I thought it would be more than that!

Interesting... :)

spicy

Giga Poster
Ian if you could get the Thorpe or Chessington totals that would help so much! :)

I have sent an E-mail to Merlin but I doubt I will get a reply to be honest, I doubt they will give that kind of information out just to anyone but you never know.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've emailed the chaps at TP and CWOA for you. Hopefully they'll pass the enquiry on to sales who may know. I usually deal with the PR chaps.

spicy

Giga Poster
Got a reply from Merlin:

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am unable to furnish answers to your questions as this is classified information and, therefore, against Corporate Policy to provide research material/data etc to other parties.

Please check our website on www.merlinentertainmensts.biz as all published information can be located there.

Many thanks for your interest in Merlin.

Regards
Sue Axford
Reception (Head Office Poole)

I thought this might be the case :( still nice of them to reply.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, I just checked my emails and Thorpe replied with a similar reply.

He did say that a large proportion of tickets sales are online/promotions, only a small percentage are bought on-the-day at full price.

If you used my LWV example above, I'd probably say that it would be around that figure for Merlin parks, if not lower because there are more pass holders and promotions kicking about. I'd take a punt at 5% are on-the-gate, 65% promotions and 30% online for Merlin parks.

spicy

Giga Poster
Thanks for your help anyway Ian.

It does beg the question why do they keep this information so under wraps though.