What's new

Olympia Looping returning to Winter Wonderland?

lachlan

Mega Poster
They just updated their cover photo on Facebook with the dates for this year and it has Olympia Looping on it - looks like it will be returning this year!

Although I was hoping for the Alpina Bahn or Hollenblitz but exciting nonetheless.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I'm going to need more than that to make a return visit. Glad last year was a success for the owner.

What? Don't be so spoiled! You guys are getting Olympia Looping, arguably one of the best transportable coasters for like a month for the second year in a row. I'd be over the moon if it stayed in BCN that long. (Side note: I have ridden OL before at Düsseldorf.)

I am glad Olympia can run in winter at such a popular city like London. If the Schwarzkopf tandem (OL and Alpina) could make it to London, it would be massive!

davidm

Strata Poster
Wasn't it a 3 year deal? .... I've read that somewhere*, might be tosh.
(* - might have been on the FB chat group - so very likely tosh then! :) )

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm glad it's back, it's one of the best travelling coasters I've ridden, not sure what else could be better, maybe one of the other Schwarz. I haven't ridden any of the others.
Fingers crossed they bring back the Airwolf, I'd love another go at that, the Breaker was damn tasty too. I wasn't sold on the Take Off last year though, looked great but didn't ride half as good as it looked. Hope they ditch the gash invert this year, one of the worst rides at the event every year.

spicy

Giga Poster
Great news, I didn't manage to get on it last year and was praying it would return this year.

I managed to get on Test Strecke/Laser in Germany earlier in the year which was awesome and I imagine Olympia is a better version of that so looking forward to getting on it.

lachlan

Mega Poster
I might go back this year depends on if I can save enough money and if there are any new credits. The Olympia Looping was great (except the restraints) but not really enough to justify coming all the way from Scotland when I've already been on it

Smithy

Strata Poster
Probably won't bother this year unless there's a big new cred but it's good news for Winter Wonderland going foward. Must have made a pretty penny too last year if they're bringing it back.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
I'm glad it's making a return as I know a lot of those who went on the ride really enjoyed it but for me the restraints pushed down way too much and the ride wasn't enjoyable for me at all. It's a shame as if it ran with normal OTSRs or even lap bars I could see myself really enjoying this coaster. I will give it another go this year though since I am local to the area. I'll just be sure to try and keep the shoulder bars pushed up!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Yay, good. :)

Hoping for some good flats too.
Unfortunately, this year we seem to actually be losing flats rather than gaining any good ones. The initial planning application for this years event can be viewed here: http://idoxpa.westminster.gov.uk/on..._FULL-WW2017_500_PLANNING_APP_2.0-4993341.pdf

We are losing rock rage, superspin, the mondial furioso and the take off. New attractions on the map include a new Viewing Tower as well as "Dr Archibald" which is currently premiering at Hamburg and consists of a funhouse section along with a VR dark ride(this is owned by the same people as Bavarian Village so unless there are technical issues it is pretty much garunteed to attend). All the "main " flat rides should be returning though with Bayern Breaker also due to return.

The map also advertises a new ghost train and all funhouses set to return. In the Alpine Adventure zone there is a plot labelled as "Coaster"- we do not know what this is yet however I assume it will be the usual Pinfari named "Thriller" owned by Mannings or alternatively it could be Mannings new wild mouse. I am personally still holding out and hoping for Alpina Bahn, Spinning Racer or Höllenblitz on this plot although I know that is an extremely unlikely scenario!

**Please be aware this is an initial planning document so things WILL change** e.g Bayern Breaker pulled out last minute last year and Superspin stepped in so anything can happen.

I'm glad it's back, it's one of the best travelling coasters I've ridden, not sure what else could be better, maybe one of the other Schwarz. I haven't ridden any of the others.
Fingers crossed they bring back the Airwolf, I'd love another go at that, the Breaker was damn tasty too. I wasn't sold on the Take Off last year though, looked great but didn't ride half as good as it looked. Hope they ditch the gash invert this year, one of the worst rides at the event every year.

Airwolf and take off aren't due to be back. Bayern breaker is supposed to return this year along with the Euro Coaster Invert.

I was hoping for something other than an overrated Schwarz. Shame.
I find it very difficult to understand how you can call OL "overrated". I rode it last year, and yes, while it may not be the strongest coaster in terms of layout, it is incredibly smooth and also picks up an amazing amount of force around the track. The magnitude of the structure itself and the fact that it can be transported all the way to Germany from England is so impressive that I find it hard to see how someone could call it overrated.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Sorry for the double post, however interestingly, when looking at the 2016 planning application the coaster in the "Alpine Adventure" Zone(top right) was listed as "Alpine Thriller", which is Manning's Pinfari.(2016 planning document here:http://idoxpa.westminster.gov.uk/on...FULL-WW2016_500_PLANNING_APP_2.11-4319846.pdf )

However, this year, the coaster is in the top right is simply listed as "Coaster" which would indicate that what is arriving on that plot this year is unconfirmed so we could be in for a surprise. The queueing system on the plot of the coaster between the two documents is also different, which means we could potentially be expecting a new coaster.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The magnitude of the structure itself and the fact that it can be transported all the way to Germany from England is so impressive that I find it hard to see how someone could call it overrated.
Does something like this make a coaster better for people? (Dont get me wrong I do really like the coaster.)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Does something like this make a coaster better for people? (Dont get me wrong I do really like the coaster.)
For me, yes. I'm an engineer - I love knowing how things are put together, how things work, why things look and behave the way they do. Seeing a complex structure like a roller coaster arrive on the back of a truck (or trucks) and be erected in a matter of days, does impress me. I think this does improve the experience for me. I can't quite place my finger on it.

Objectively, Olympia Looping isn't a particularly good coaster (I mean, it's by no stretch bad, but I don't think it'd be anywhere near my top twenty), but when you factor in it's history and it's design (to be broken down and moved hundreds of miles several times a year), I can't help but elevate it slightly.

spicy

Giga Poster
The coaster wouldn't be held in such high regard if it was just based at a park all year round imo?

It is kind of special that it's still a travelling coaster and has been the largest travelling coaster for 28 years now which is pretty impressive.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It is kind of special that it's still a travelling coaster and has been the largest travelling coaster for 28 years now which is pretty impressive.

I think this was brought up recently - but I can't remember where - so I won't make a separate thread in Q and A for it, but reading this, I can't help but wonder... why are all the large travelling coasters so old? We're talking about Pinfari and Schwarzkopf all the time here, manufacturers that haven't been in business for years. Höllenblitz was built in 1992, if I understand German Wikipedia correctly.

Since the mid-90s, the coaster industry has gone through multiple revolutions, yet the top-of-the-line travelling coasters all seem to be several decades old. Why don't anybody make (or purchase) any new ones?

lachlan

Mega Poster
Will Wild Mouse XXL be there?
I would expect it to be there, it's been there the past few years.
I think this was brought up recently - but I can't remember where - so I won't make a separate thread in Q and A for it, but reading this, I can't help but wonder... why are all the large travelling coasters so old? We're talking about Pinfari and Schwarzkopf all the time here, manufacturers that haven't been in business for years. Höllenblitz was built in 1992, if I understand German Wikipedia correctly.

Since the mid-90s, the coaster industry has gone through multiple revolutions, yet the top-of-the-line travelling coasters all seem to be several decades old. Why don't anybody make (or purchase) any new ones?
Nowadays it's always spinning mice. Maybe increased safety inspections or fuel is more expensive?

Also I think the spinning coasters use fewer trailers.