What's new

Olympia-Looping at London's German Christmas Market

Ketchup

Mega Poster
Went on it tonight. Was a pretty fun, forceful coaster. I'd probs give it an 8/10. I wasn't expecting it to be as smooth as it was.

Not sure I'd be in any rush to ride it again at £9 a pop though.

S

SimonSays99

Is there anyone very tall out there who's ridden OL? I'm heading over in a couple of weeks with the bf who is 6ft 5... not sure if he'll struggle to get on?!

I'm 6'3 and the problem is not the overall height as the shoulder clamps accommodate taller riders - the problem is the length of legs. At my height my knees already press into hard padding of the seat before me. So at 6'5 he might not fit in due to his legs.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Visiting next week, does anyone know any ideas for pricing of the smaller rides or the dark rides? And the price of Ice Mountain?

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I'm 6'3 and the problem is not the overall height as the shoulder clamps accommodate taller riders - the problem is the length of legs. At my height my knees already press into hard padding of the seat before me. So at 6'5 he might not fit in due to his legs.

Thanks for this- good to know!!

zazobo

Hyper Poster
It's a tight fit for tall people I think. It's got the same sized trains as looping stars and other Schwarzkopf oldies. I think it will be do-able but a tight fit.
Thanks SilverArrow, we'll have to see if we can jam him in somehow.. ha

stanford911

Mega Poster
Visiting next week, does anyone know any ideas for pricing of the smaller rides or the dark rides? And the price of Ice Mountain?

Ice Mountain is £6. Most of the flats there are between £5-9 in WW-tickets. Some of the major rides and coasters actually allow contactless from either card or Apple/Android pay which acts as a fast-pass too. Managed to skip all of the OL queue doing that XD

Also, I found OL to be a very smooth, forceful (at least on back row) and enjoyable ride. They had four trains running on Saturday night which gave great moments of interaction as they passed around each other. Was definitely not disappointed and felt the whole experience was worth the travel and prices. I agree with those who've stated that the shoulder harnesses are rubbish and recommend anyone who goes to ride it not to pull them down too far. By the end of the ride, they'll have pushed themselves down further anyway so give yourself some clearance.

S

SimonSays99

Running four trains they must have had quite some demand as even at Oktoberfest on weekdays OL mostly runs only 2-3 trains...

Lofty

CF Legend
But you have the extra 2 cars on each train, making it at least another train compared to Winter Wonderland.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Had only 1 train on it earlier (obviously, was taking ten minutes to half fill a train).

Very good ride.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I could look it up, but there's probably someone on here that keeps track of these things. Does Germany have any major fairs during the summer?

I'm almost certainly going to do a trip regardless, but would obviously take a detour if Olympia Looping was appearing somewhere. I need to stop begin so hideously basic and finally ride it.

S

SimonSays99

OL has tuned down its appearances on German summer funfairs but is likely found at one of these:
- Rheinkirmes Düsseldorf - http://www.rheinkirmes.com/
- Pützchens Markt Bonn - http://www.bonn.de/tourismus_kultur_sport_freizeit/veranstaltungskalender/puetzchens_markt/
- Annakirmes Düren - http://www.annakirmes.de/start_annakirmes/

Full ride lineups are mostly announces 1-2 month in advanced. OL mostly takes one or two of the above but never all - with Rheinkirmes having the highest chance as its the 2nd largest funfair after Oktoberfest.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Cheers for the above two comments.

That Dusseldorf one would be doable for me if I caught the last few days of it; I'll be back in the UK about a week before it finishes. I saw that the one in Hamburg starts soon after the Dusseldorf one finishes as well, so perhaps between the two, there's a a good chance. The one in Duren seems to start around the same time as Hamburg, and the one in Bonn is much too late.

I'll keep my eye on Dusseldorf and Hamburg anyway.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Rode it yesterday and enjoyed it, the drop wasn't as steep as I thought it would be, expected something more similar to jetline at grona. Hated the shoulder restraints, can't begin to imagine how much better it would have been without them. Was receiving a lot of attention from e public though, always a large crowd watching and taking pictures. Pointing out the track sway to people about to ride it was rather funny to

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Rode it Friday and it was good, miles better than the usual travelling cred but it's not amazing in any sense. Loops were great and some good headchoppers but the restraints are vile and there's no airtime. Thanks for saving me a few hundred pounds Barth!

Did love the operations though, ridiculously fast.

S

SimonSays99

@gavin
Hamburg will likely not get OL anymore as according to Barth there is too little per-day-income. In Hamburg for Summer there will be most likely DoubleLoop - former Laser - Mouse XXL or Schwarzkopf Wildcat. Two out of the three named are likely. If you can choose Düsseldorf - they always have the way better ride line up. Hamburg DOM has gone quite downhill the last 5 years credit- and flatwise.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Cheers. I'd be in Hamburg anyway to get to Hansa and Heide, so no effort involved really. I wouldn't be going just for the fair.