What's new

Olaf's best trip yet

Olaf

Mega Poster
Let's start this trip report with the fact that this was supposed to be a 10 day long trip. I got home after 5 days, so what was supposed to be my best trip yet turned out to be just a mediocre one.. Ill get back to it later..

Day 1:
This was just a travel day, we decided to go with the car to Germany and take a ferry from there, which is if you ask me the best way to travel. If you're not from mainland Europe I recommend to fly to Germany and hire a car there because it's cheaper and you can take the ferry to Gothenburg. Why do you ask me? The ferry company has a contract with Liseberg. Liseberg opens 2 hours after the ferry arrives, so you can get breakfast and make it to Liseberg in time for opening.

Day 2:
We arrived in Gothenburg.

Liseberg opened at 11 so we got plenty of time. We arrived an hour early, which I was quite happy with because Liseberg doesn't have a parking lot. You have to park in the city.

So finally I got into liseberg just 5 minutes before opening, and I was the first one! I ofcourse ran for Helix where I had a train all alone.. I was dissatisfied with it. It runs really bad at the beginning of the day (it was still my no 1 at that moment, so imagine how good it is once it's warmed up).
It really packs a punch, it gets a lot of speed near the end of the first half so that helix down the cliff is Grey-out material, just like the Pretzel Loop.
You start of with the drop out of the station, which is surprisingly long once you actually are there. A corkscrew with doen awesome hangtime, and the weak first launch.. This is where the fun begins. The first zero g roll, does, as the name sais nothing. Which is the whole point of the thing, so I don't complain. Then an awesome ejector hill, I didn't expect the airtime to be this good. And there were even better hills to come. (keep in mind, this was my first ride, the thing got faster and faster towards the end of the day)
Then the awesome pretzel loop which got great Forces, 4,3G to be precise.
Another ejector hill, even better than the first.
Another zero g roll, at this point in time it got so much speed that you were thrown out of your seat during the roll (quite literally, I got d*ck length of room)
And then the most underrated element of the ride, the grey out helix, this thing was so fast.
Then after turning into another weak launch you'll experience the best few seconds of your life whilst you're hanging upside down on the top hat, and holding on for your dear life whilst you're out of your seat for a good few seconds during that sustained ejector hill.
Weak s-turns
Awesome hangtime filled finale with the signature mack inline twist.
It got better during the day, I can't state this enough. My last night ride was just so good. The only reason I tied this with Wildfire is because of the weak rides on the start of the day, Wildfire started strong and ended strong. Helix started weaker, but ended stronger.
Next up was AtmosFear, the observation tower..... Which got converted into a drop tower.
I didn't know drop towers could be rough. I had some headbanging on it, just wow.
Despite that it was awesome, just like all drop towers. It brakes really late, it honestly scared me.
Then I rode Lisebergbanan, which wasn't a smart thing to do. Lines gotonger during the day, and I didn't have the Balder credit yet. Which I rode last, because it was at the back of the park. Damn that was stupid. But back to Lisebergbanan.
Just wow. It's so smooth, smoother than Helix. Yes indeed. It was the biggest surprise of the day. It pulled some good forces, and had surprising airtime moments, weak but fun.
Next up: Mechanica.
This was so much fun. It didn't pull as much forces as similar rides (inversions, and Propellor) do. But that makes it more comfortable and more enjoyable. Balls to the walls intensity is amazing, but sometimes you just want to sit back and relax.
After Mechanica I finally went to Balder.
First of all, the line scared me, then the billboards that said Valkyria VR scared me. And then the huge contraption of death that's called Balder's drop scared me. That thing is big, fast and steep! Scared is a big word, I was more surprised than scared, but scared fitted better in the sentence.
So the line only looked that big because they opened the additional queues, and therefore they had to close the queue and let the people that were still in the queue walk the whole course again.. I don't know why. At least it wasn't as bad as it looked.
Then the Valkyria VR was just a booth with vr headsets where you could experience Valkyria before it opened, so no worries guys.
When I got on the ride after about 30 minutes of waiting I got to sit front seat. Glad I did
It started if with that drop, which really grabs you by surprise if you don't pay attention, it's so good.
Airtime, boring turn, airtime, boring turn, airtime airtime, boring turn, airtime, boring turn, airtime airtime, boring turn, airtime airtime, airtime into the brakes..
Despite the airtime being really strong it wasn't as good as people say it is. It's just a one trick pony, it does that one trick really well, but nothing more than that.

Time for Loke

Short cycle (this is an reoccurring theme with the flats) , but you get an amazing sense of Freedom because of the restraints.
After getting some rerides, coffee and ice cream (wow, Swedes speak English very well) it was time for Aerospin.
Aerospin is a skyroller, you have a set of wings which you can move yourself. This gives you the capability of deciding yourself how thrilling your ride is going to be.
Because you use wings, you depend on wind.
Wind gets stronger the higher you're up in the air.
Aerospin lifts you about a 100ft up in the air.
Aerospin is build on a mountain.
What I'm trying to say is: YOU GET A ****TON OF WIND. There's about a 2 minute cycle, and before you are good and well spinning there's a minute past. I got 60 spins.
60rpm. That's insane.
And then I was let down by the Screaming Swing. You hit the highest point twice, once swinging backward, and once swinging forward. I don't get why people hype screaming swings up that much. They really aren't as good as people say they are.
After the letdown all I had left to do was reriding ****, I didn't plan on waiting 3o minutes for a Zamperla Disk'o and I certainly didn't plan on waiting an hour for both the water rides. I still had 8 hours left to go in the park..
At the end of the day I got:
12x Helix
2x Balder
7x Aerospin
5x Mechanica
2x Lisebergbanan
8x AtmosFear.
Balder was the only ride that had a 45min line. Helix had 30 minutes and everything else (expect the water rides and the Disk'o) had nothing.

Oh I forgot to mention: the Helix game.
They made a Helix game with several minigames. Once you get in line for Helix there is a seperate wifi network that let's you connect to the competition. You have 15 minutes to beat the high score, if you succeed you get a fast pass. Yes you read that right, you can win free fastpasses. Sadly the app is only in Swedish so once the lines got long enough to have time to play the game I still had to learn how the game works. Once I got the hang of it everyone else did, so I ended at spot 2, 3, 4 or 5 everytime I tried.. It was so frustrating.
But it's an awesome concept that more parks should do.
They also have a aerospin game, but you couldn't win fastpasses or anything, so I gave up pretty quickly. It does track the amount of rotations though, so that's quite fun.

Day 3:

Yea, let's get back to the fact that I only had 5 days instead of the initial 10.
The moment I got back from Liseberg I got a sms saying that the house we booked had a leakage, so we couldn't stay there, they did have an alternative place we're we could stay, and we would even get the money back. But we had to book it for ourselves. Which turned out to be not possible via mobile phone without internet... ****.
So we called the ferry line to see if we could take the boat back to Germany a few days earlier. We could.. But only on a Friday, and it was Wednesday. Good thing: this gave us time for Wildfire. Bad thing: we didn't have a place to sleep.
So we drove to a city that was big enough to house a few hotels, and was close to Kölmarden. Luckily we found a hotel, in I don't know what the city was called, but it was 30 minutes away from Wildfire, and 2 hours away from the port where our boat leaved. This gave us enough time to have a full day at Kölmarden, have breakfast in the hotel the next day and drive to the port, and still be early.

Time for the long anticipated Wildfire. Just a few days after it opened again.
So I walked into Kölmarden a few minutes after it opened. And it took me 30 ****ing minutes to get to Wildfire. THAT ZOO IS HUGE. But the first glimpse of Wildfire, I'll never forget it.....

Third row, left side, black train.
Slowly rolling out of the station, taking a, right hand turn and.. **** that hurt, typical Vekoma lifthill, snappy as all hell...
Once you arrived at the top you get a beautiful view over the lake before going down that HUGE, ****ING STEEP DROP. Wow.
At the bottom of the endless feeling drop you get some of the best forces on any wooden coaster ever, before going into the best imversion yet on any wooden coaster ever.
Another 4G turn (that's a lot for wooden coasters.
Boom, rapejector, headchopper, rapejector, rapejector. Wtf is this shaping, awesome second inversion, rapejector, climbing a cliff before descending it at the other side with a right hand turn, super fast, super smooth, dizzying heartline roll, a climbing right hand turn into a floater hill. Forceful s-turns before going into the brakes... Just awesome, and this gets, as with any coaster, better during the day.
That's it for Kölmarden, I didn't mind for the kiddy creds, I just marathoned Wildfire.
Wait no, that isn't true, I did ride the cable lift.. I didn't know it would take 30 minutes of valuable Wildfire time. I did get some interesting pictures though. I'll post them with all my other pics in a later update.
At the end of the day I got 27 rides in Wildfire without getting bored, but I did get bruces on my shins because of the shin guards. They were both a negative and a positive thing. They made the restraint so much more uncomfortable, but they made getting room so easy.

Sadly this was my last day in Sweden (not counting the next day, as it's a travel day) I planned on going to Kölmarden twice, hitting Gröna for a full day and get to Hansa on my way back. But we weren't able to do this because of that water leakage. We got of the ferry at 21:00 and decided to drive home directly, without getting a hotel. That's why we didn't get to do Hansa park.
Once we were back in the Netherlands it was 3 I clock, so I got to sleep. Because I decided I wanted to hit Toverland. I had to miss 2 parks, so I wanted to compensate for that... I never visited Toverland even though I live only an hour away..

The day started with Blitz Bahn, the powered Alpine bobsled coaster thingy.. It had a really bad capacity, so it already had an 15 minute line, despite the park only being open for 5 minutes.
They have some sort of competition going on with who can get the fastest cycle. Don't try to win. You can't. If the person in front of you doesn't go full speed you won't be going full speed either. I had a 2 minute cycle, without braking manually, the fastest was 1:30. It kept decelerating on its own. It could've been a lot of fun if it was going full speed.
Just don't build these at popular parks.
Next up was Booster Bike.
This was an interesting experience. It isn't as uncomfortable as it looks luckily enough.
It is pretty much a hit n miss. The floater airtime was really strange, and the forces, despite not being a lot, felt really great. I can only imagine if it was designed to pull 4, or even 5G. And how would it be if it had ejector? This really has a lot of potential. Now I finally get why everyone loves Tron.

D'wervelwind was an awesome little spinner, It spinned really good.
Only if Mack made these things bigger, just like Euro-Mir, but free spinning. Or give Helix a spinning car, just like Blue Fire had for a month or two.

And at the back of the park was the third major woodie that week, Troy.
I was seriously let down after riding it. It didn't have any airtime, not even the signature GCI airtime.
Despite letting me down, it was a really good ride, but just on a different aspect. It's good just because of its sheer size. It's so long, and it keeps going forever, just like you'd expect from a GCI.

After some rerides, and the log flume it was time for Boomerang. The kiddie cred of the park. Nothing special, as you'd expect.

That's basically all there is to Toverland. Some cool family creds, Troy, really ****ing wet log flume, really ****ing wet rapids and a water slide in a dry park.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I agree that screaming swings are turd and totally overrated but Liseberg's is clearly the best of the bunch. If you sit on the correct side, it lifts you up over that terrifyingly humongous drop.

'Rapejector' - is that a combination of rape and ejector? Odd and a bit un-PC but...not entirely untrue ;p

andrus

Giga Poster
Liseberg opened at 11 so we got plenty of time. We arrived an hour early, which I was quite happy with because Liseberg doesn't have a parking lot. You have to park in the city.
Huh?! Liseberg has it's own parking lot just south of the park, 0m from the south entrance. There's also a huge multi-story parking deck just next to the main entrance. Parking is really easy at Liseberg (just not always cheap). And all the info is on their web page :)

Otherwise a good trip report! Agreed that Balder is overrated. Helix is awesome though, and so is Loke. Easily the best two rides in the park! :)

Olaf

Mega Poster
Huh?! Liseberg has it's own parking lot just south of the park, 0m from the south entrance. There's also a huge multi-story parking deck just next to the main entrance. Parking is really easy at Liseberg (just not always cheap). And all the info is on their web page :)

Otherwise a good trip report! Agreed that Balder is overrated. Helix is awesome though, and so is Loke. Easily the best two rides in the park! :)
That's not Liseberg's. That parking lot is from a third party.

andrus

Giga Poster
That's not Liseberg's. That parking lot is from a third party.

^Well, Liseberg owns it. I'm sure some one else operates it. But it is definitely Liseberg's parking. There are Liseberg logos att every entrance, and there is even Liseberg staff patrolling the parking lot.

Olaf

Mega Poster
^Well, Liseberg owns it. I'm sure some one else operates it. But it is definitely Liseberg's parking. There are Liseberg logos att every entrance, and there is even Liseberg staff patrolling the parking lot.
When I asked staff they said they didn't have a parking lot, but they were allowed to use the one behind the park

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm confused as to why you felt you had to cut your planned trip in half because of a room being cancelled.