What's new

Oktoberfest 2017

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Daviddoc and I decided to go to Oktoberfest this year as it had been on both of our bucket lists for a long time.

Munich is lovely at this time of year. The city really has a great atmosphere and lots of people dress up and get festive.
First up we visited a really pretty brauhaus in the city. It had a pretty ceiling!

There are 14 massive beer tents to choose from, each selling a different brand of Munich-brewed beer. Each one has it's own entertainment, kitchens, toilets etc so they aren't tiny garden gazebos by any means!
On to the creds!
So both of us had already done Olympia so we decided to get all of the other creds. There were 5 others in total: Alpina Bahn, Hollenblitz, Drifting Coaster and two wild mice. So 5 creds to get!
Alpina bahn was a decent coaster, as expected with Schwarz's. I didn't quite get airtime on the first hill but it was a pleasant enough ride.

Hollenblitz was a must-do. I'd heard some good things about this coaster so had quite high expectations. It's a well-themed ride for a travelling ride and the ride experience is fun but I would say I think it's a bit overhyped (unlike Olympia which is actually fab). I'd ridden ice mountain before this so it reminded of me that ride with the spinning. I expect hollenblitz inspired the ice mountain theme. It's worth doing though and I do think it would be a good addition to winter wonderland if the rumours are true.

The drifting coaster is like nothing else! We sat on the back side so did the whole circuit backwards. I actually squealed a bit on the first drop because of the airtime/force! It's such an odd feeling on a coaster swinging side to side like this I'd recommend everyone to get the cred if you don't have it already! Very peculiar. Not sure it will catch on as a trend but it's worth doing for the bizarre factor!

The wild mouse coasters were the usual, wild mousey creds.
I tried some currywurst. It was better than I had expected. Beer was good. But my goodness there was a lot of it!

After beer we did Olympia in the dark on the back row (7 cars). Didn't seem quite as intense as previous times after the beer haha.
Look, it actually says Olympia this time!

There are lots of interesting flat rides to ride and/or spectate. We (ok, I, I take full blame for this) decided to tried this:

If it wasn't for the beer effect I truly believe I might have passed out or died on this ride! What a ride!! It made samurai look like a kiddie ride. I was genuinely surprised after each crazy flip that I was still conscious! haha I kind of half enjoyed it, in a morbid sort of way and also half hated it. I don't think David was terribly impressed. Sorry about that!! I makes me laugh to think about it now though. Would recommend everyone to try it once, but maybe have some beer first!
There were lots of other intense and not-so-intense looking flat rides on offer. I quickly decided after watching it that I wasn't going to do one of the top spins after the top scan! Wise choice I think! All the thrill flats are run on insane settings there! Here are some photos of random rides there:

They had a massive log flume thing which we didn't do but it looked cool. Pretty impressive for a travelling ride!

All the rides have stunning light packages at Oktoberfest, you really got the impression that the showmen took good care of their rides and were proud of them.

This ghost train was good and really big!

To finish the night off we went to have some more beer at another one of the beer tents.

All in all, I'd recommend going if you haven't been and I'd definitely go back if I had the chance. If you like rides and beer you'll like it!

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
How did you find the crowds? I've always heard that Oktoberfest is really busy - so much so it spoils it - but it doesn't look too chaotic in your pictures.

TilenB

Strata Poster
How did you find the crowds? I've always heard that Oktoberfest is really busy - so much so it spoils it - but it doesn't look too chaotic in your pictures.
I guess it depends on when you visit. When I was there a couple of years ago (Sunday evening), it felt quieter than what I expected (mind you I visited a different German Fair earlier in the day - that one was packed). But last year (Wednesday afternoon), it was far more packed, but it was mostly people walking around, rather than doing rides, drinking beer, etc.

@SilverArrow, do they still not allow bags on the venue?

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I guess it depends on when you visit. When I was there a couple of years ago (Sunday evening), it felt quieter than what I expected (mind you I visited a different German Fair earlier in the day - that one was packed). But last year (Wednesday afternoon), it was far more packed, but it was mostly people walking around, rather than doing rides, drinking beer, etc.

@SilverArrow, do they still not allow bags on the venue?

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk
You're not allowed big rucksacks, handbags and smaller bags are ok.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk