What's new

oblivion

herbinator

Mega Poster
How high above the ground is oblivion? I keep hearing different things from different places and would like to know for definate. thanks

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's about 65 feet above ground and 120 or so below ground.

There are precise figures kicking around and I could hunt the internet looking for them, or use the search button on here to find them (if they have ever been posted on here) - but it's hot and I can't be bothered :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
I always thought it was 80ft above and 100 in?

It might be, this is the problem, I'd have to search to actually find out. However, the height limit is low in that area and it's on top of the hill - so that's why I think it's less than 80. I'm happy for somebody to search and put me right :)

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Thats got to be 1 hell of an illusion then because it looks like theres nothing much in that damn hole, it seems about 20ft deep, if that.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Well heres some good pictures of our hole from TTF to give people a good idea of how deep that hole is.

Oblivion3.jpg

oblivion11.JPG

oblivion12.jpg

That does look about 120ish foot. Its definatly got more below than above.

I would say Blivvy is about 65ft above ground. They cant go much higher. Though the ride does stick out above the treeline by quite a way... Dunno I'll keep looking about...

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I know. I have seen that before, but I am still left skeptical at the thought that theres more drop on Oblivion in that hole than of that above ground.

When your facing the hole it just doesn't seem feasible to think that theres 115ft more when you reach the hole.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nobody on Towers Times really knows either:
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... a&start=15

furie said:
I think that the actual "vertical" section of Oblivion is 60 ft. It's a very clever illusion making you think it's vertical for much more than it is.

However, I do struggle to believe that it's actually 180 ft in total. That's a hell of a long way down and to pull out of in such a short space. However, it must be.

Here's the drop off Griffon's 200 ft lift hill:
griffon8.jpg

(http://www.coasterforce.com/griffon)

Also, if you look at G5 (Oblivion's mirrored clone), you get some idea of the true scale of the ride. G5 looks much, much, much bigger than Oblivion:

g5%201c.jpg

(http://www.coasterforce.com/G5)

Oh, and for pics of the area of Nemesis before it was built, look at photos of Thunders Looper and The New Beast - search for those and you'll come across some which also have the Nemesis area.

Erm, looks like the lift hill is 65ft, but it drops lower than that, so Erol is probably closer :)

elmerfudd

Mega Poster
Remember, the height of the drop is the very highest point (the top of the lift hill) to the very bottom point (the very lowest point under ground).

So for example, in furies picture of Griffon, it would be the same as the very higest point on that, to the lowest point which would be under that bridge.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Right, I found a suitable image of both rides to compare track ties, joints and track angles. They are very similar apart from position of supports. Oblivion starts pulling-out litrally just before it hits the tunnel. I then quickly merged these images. The position of Oblivions tunnel hole entrance is just above that bridge thing, taking into account of the angle of the pic.

GF-Bliv.jpg

So I'm more on Erol now I've been looking at that pic for 80 mins...

I stuck a mesurement at the side, and its more like 85ft-ish above ground.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You can't be more than certain [/pedant]

Anyway, RCDB says 65 foot lift hill. The hole starts much lower than the lift hill. I'd say easily 20 foot.

So I think Erol is right :)

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Even saying Oblivion is 65 feet high... it's strange comparing it to something like Stealth. The few moments you're at the top of Stealth, it doesn't feel even half the height of Oblivion.

A

Anonymous

herbinator said:
How high above the ground is oblivion? I keep hearing different things from different places and would like to know for definate. thanks

i think it is 90ft above ground and 90ft below ground

MarsdenDean

Roller Poster
Im also unsure, but you have to remember that most of the drop is outside of the hole, once you hit that tunnel it starts to rise back to the banked turn.

Maybe thats why the hole dosnt seam that deep?

MarsdenDean

Roller Poster
Im also unsure, but you have to remember that most of the drop is outside of the hole, once you hit that tunnel it starts to rise back to the banked turn.

Maybe thats why the hole dosnt seam that deep?