What's new

Obama at it again..

It's a bit silly.. I think younger kids and even people my age are far too bogged down with work. Heck, I didn't start getting homework until maybe grade five, and now they start giving out an hours worth to grade ones. And as for people my age, my classes are all difficult university classes.. I spend six-seven hours a day in school doing hard work, take my work home, do an additional three, and half the time I also have to work. It's like people have no free time anymore, and with the less free time I get, the less I want to do my work, so I don't think adding time onto the school day is going to benefit anything.

I agree with Xpress. Frankly this ticked me off real bad. If this happens I'm going to try and get home-schooled.

^ Ollie, you are aware that americans get 3 months of summer vacation?

When we get 6 weeks.

To add to that, from what I'm reading they're only adding 12 more days to the school year.

So Ollie, you still want to laugh?

Am I correct in thinking your summer holidays are, like, around 10 weeks anyway?

I mean, ours are just under 6 weeks and it's long enough...

It depends on what state you live in. Here in TX we get 2 1/2-3 months off. Almost the same amount of time.

That's ****ing loads! Seriously, this does bring into question why some people say Americans are stupid....

Obama is doing great for America. He's trying to give you FREE HEALTHCARE and you lot just throw it back in his face.

He's improving you educational system, and then you feel you want to assassinate him.

Geeze!

What sort of hours and times during the year do Americans go to school at the moment anyway?

^You guys can't say much about our long summers across the pond.. You guys have many more smaller breaks scattered throughout the year that it adds up to be about the same anyway, so shush (I worked it out with a member on here before, and it did end up being the same, almost).

kimahri said:
^ Ollie, you are aware that americans get 3 months of summer vacation?

When we get 6 weeks.

To add to that, from what I'm reading they're only adding 12 more days to the school year.

So Ollie, you still want to laugh?
Yeah, because I'm in college and I get longer holidays and am only in 3 days a week anyway.
So suck on that. :p :D
Plus it's funny seeing Americans get annoyed.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
^You guys can't say much about our long summers across the pond.. You guys have many more smaller breaks scattered throughout the year that it adds up to be about the same anyway, so shush (I worked it out with a member on here before, and it did end up being the same, almost).

It does work out roughly equal when you take it all into account. But I much prefer/preferred having small holidays regularly than long stretches of school and then long breaks. I have been bored so much and I have pretty much had the equivalent of an American summer holiday with the gap between sixth form and university. It seems ages since I have done work so that is going to be a big shock and I feel like I have forgotten everything of use.

*still hasn't gone to Uni yet*

Ciall is right. Fair enough it's not nice being hauled up in school for longer, but if it's going to get you better jobs at the end of it all, surely that's a good thing?

Yes Obama should die, I think its dispicable you should make the yanks be at school 12 days more. Obama is a god damn commie, free healthcare for all, Communism!

Or not.

Two things of note.

1. I get around 5 months of school off a year, including summer break. Spite me.
2. Xpress, you are a ****ing moron.

We don't need more hours, we need BETTER EDUCATION. Simple as. We don't lack behind other countries because we aren't in school enough you idiot Obama.

I hope nothing comes out of this. Adding three hours a day could make for a work week well over 60 hours for students (including homework). The focus of the article seems to be on math scores. These are averages. I don't see why people that are already good at math should have extra hours tacked onto their day just because people that suck can't do some extra studying on their own time. If they want to have students spend more time on math, how about they get rid of useless crap like mandatory literature and fine arts.
Oh, and those of you across the pond that don't have huge summer breaks, you're missing out. Acting on impulse and letting your brain rot for three months feels amazing once you learn how to appreciate it.

I think its easy to agee with Obama if you are not really going to be effected by this but if I were a student in the US I wouldn't be liking this idea. But I certainly have faith in Obama and I think he knows what he is doing and in the long run if the school kids end up with a better education they should be thankful.

I wish we had someone like Obama running my country because the bloody kids are never in school and they get 3 months off in the summer.