What's new

Oakwood visitors numbers up 40% & new attractions

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Well I hope the rumors are true. I never got to ride Kightmare, but it seems a good solid family coaster that would suit Oakwood for the short-term (with a little TLC). It's not going to win many more visitors, but it would help pad out the park if its attendance figures continue to grow.

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ I think Schwarzkopf's need a little more than just a bit of TLC by the sounds of it. Flamingo Land got rid of their two because of the nightmare of maintenance.

Seems the Mexicans were the only ones willing to take them on - the Bullet only just recently opened over there after an 8 year absence!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Other parks seem to do a good job up-keeping theirs. The Schwarzkopfs at LWV, Hershey, Busch Gardens Tampa...they don't seem to need extra TLC. The one I went on at Wonder Island in Russia was fantastically smooth. I think it's more a case or Camelot destroying theirs out of total and utter neglect.

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ The Schwarzkopf at LWV is a totally different model to the others we're talking about - I think Hershey and Busch Gardens will have world class maintenance whereas the likes of Camelot, Flamingo Land, Loudoun Castle, and potentially Oakwood wouldn't have the maintenance required to upkeep I imagine.

I remember Jack saying years ago this is the reason parks like Flamingo Land never go for B&M style coasters, not only is it the inital outlay, the maintenance cost t upkeep the coasters to a high standard is astronomical. These Schwarzkopf models are left overs from the 80's so are being took on by parks for a small purchase fee not taking into consideration the maintenance!!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
In answer to the new coaster rumours. I distinctly remember a post from Ian last year (I can't be bothered to trawl through page after page on here to find it). He said he was putting off an Oakwood live last year (2013) for their new coaster (or rumours of a new coaster at least) this year. That hasn't happened obviously so I was just wondering what happened :p

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I'd heard a rumour a few months back that the Eurostar invert which used to travel Germany could be making an appearance at Oakwood - although as far as I know it's still up for sale in Russia so assumedly that's not happening anymore/any time soon.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Danzibarr said:
I'd heard a rumour a few months back that the Eurostar invert which used to travel Germany could be making an appearance at Oakwood - although as far as I know it's still up for sale in Russia so assumedly that's not happening anymore/any time soon.

You're talking about the travelling Intamin invert, right?

My understanding was that it was turned into scrap metal in late 2011. If that's not the case, and it is for sale, Oakwood won't be buying it. It makes absolutely no sense for them to do that, it would look hideous at Oakwood.

STC

Mega Poster
They have a modern woodie, so Oakwood's experience with maintenance should be better than similar-sized steel-only parks.

supersion

Mega Poster
Ive been itching to know what the plan has been for Oakwood this year, and I do hope that the rumour of any new coaster is true.

Ideally if they're following the same route of renewing old rides, I could imagine realistically 'Twist And Shout' from Loudoun Castle becoming their new addition.

The fact that the trains are mine trained style now, would fit perfectly into the rumours that they're bringing back the old wild west 'Nutty Jakes' theme.

It could become Nutty Jakes Mine Train Adventure of some sorts...
The ride itself is by no means anything special, but I think it would be enough to bring a flood of visitors to ride it, providing it was themed properly.

It also looks like a decent size to fit where Brer Rabbit currently is, and I can't imagine it would take long to assemble either.

Just a thought...

twistshoutl.JPG

EthC

Mega Poster
1489207_510293429086414_1961666356_n.jpg

Oakwood have posted this on their developer page. They are what looks to be entirely refurbishing their main restaurant next to Drenched. Its nice with their new source of profit they can renovate stuff like this :D

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm thrilled they've managed to pull Oakwood out from the jaws of death. I'd like to think it's that new operations manager, who's got his head screwed on right.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Oakwood visitors numbers up 40% & new attractions

I'm interested to see how the park has developed since my first visit in 2008, you'd think that 6 years would have seen much more development than there has been but at least this was a step in the right direction, a 40% increase is huge and hopefully puts it in the clear that investing in attractions is clearly directly related to increase in attendance (who knew?!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
investing in attractions is clearly directly related to increase in attendance (who knew?!
Investing in marketing is as, if not more, influential. The sad truth is, no one dawn sath has ever heard of Oakwood.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Joey said:
I'm thrilled they've managed to pull Oakwood out from the jaws of death. I'd like to think it's that new operations manager, who's got his head screwed on right.

We got a new Chief Operating Officer here and it's amazing what a change in personnel can do. He has already overhauled so much so it is likely this chap at Oakwood has had similar input.

EthC

Mega Poster
10747_510695689046188_20338253_n.jpg

Oakwood Theme Park - Developer's Diary
Where has my canopy gone?????????

More development happening this time in the wild west area of the park!

1003068_510696365712787_818423775_n.jpg
1601023_510696359046121_236457052_n.jpg

1620540_510696319046125_236063832_n.jpg

7740_510696442379446_1495912625_n.jpg

1622082_510696432379447_1124212875_n.jpg

Mmm Development!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There has definitely been change at the top. Aspro (Oakwood's parent company) are currently advertising for a Marketing Manager and Rides Manager positions.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
I'm over the moon that Oakwood are giving the mining town some well deserved TLC!
I went to Oakwood last year, the area looked so run down it was quite depressing!

I hope they bring 'Nutty Jake' back, now that Brer Rabbit has gone! And I HOPE TO GODm that they get rid of Spooky 3D and bring back Voodoo Mansion!

It's just small stuff like this, that could really improve the park! Along with planting some more trees around Neverland and Speed, I mean the place is call Oakwood after all!

Good luck!