What's new

Oakwood PTR - 07/09/14

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Seeing as I managed to win an Oakwood fast pass thanks to their riddle competition I decided to head to Oakwood one last time this year! Also it was a great opportunity to compare Megafobia to Nash. Also thanks to visiting on a Sunday, there were literally no queues for anything! The longest I had to wait was about 10 minutes for the Bobsleds! (Though before you cheer their operations, they were running one train on everything)

So I headed down to the deepest depths of Wales one last time this year! I left Dorset quite late, so I arrived reasonably late at the park (1pm) Considering the park was closing at 4pm this was kindof annoying, but I managed to get everything I wanted done, bar Drenched, which was still down.

*Before I start the main report I should probably warn everyone who went to the live to stop reading now, reading further may infuriate you guys*

Anyway the first ride I headed to was one I missed out on my first visit, the Bobsled. It doesn’t look like much, but it is pretty fun! I personally wouldn’t wait longer than 10-15 minutes for it, but it was enjoyable. It felt really out of control and it picks up some decent speed along the way! Certainly worth riding if you go.

Next up was a ride, which had spited me on my previous visit, Bounce. I hadn’t heard great things about the ride, but seeing as I love drop towers and shot towers, I was still rather hyped for it.

First off, the safety precautions were over the top. You weren’t trusted to lower your own OTSR, the ride op had to do it for you. Now is it just me, or is there no reason for that?

The ride itself was fun, not great but still fun. I loved how the launch had no warning, and that there was no movement until the launch, unlike the faffing around the S&S towers do. The launch was rather weak, but gave more floater than Iceblast. The second stage of the ride, the drop, was definitely the better part of the ride. The drop was surprisingly brilliant! There was floater airtime sustained all the way down the drop, which wasn’t exactly intense, but was fun nevertheless. Overall it wasn’t a great drop tower, but it was definitely better than Iceblast.

Up next was Speed, the Gerstlauer Eurofighter, which had previously disappointed me. I wasn’t particularly excited for a re-ride, but wow, it really surprised me today! The drop was as good as I remember, the airtime hill packed even more of a punch than Saw’s hills, the overbank was still amazing, and the barrel roll was genuinely fun! I will say though that the best element of the whole ride was the helix at the end, it was giving crazy positives today! The only part of the ride I don’t enjoy is the loop, it’s too large to really have an impact, if only it were shaped differently it would be great! Overall it’s a brilliant layout, and after todays ride I would definitely rate it as the better Eurofighter I have been on.

Next up was another ride I had missed out on the previous visit, the pirate ship. There’s not much really to be said about it. It was probably one of the better pirate ships I have been on, but personally I prefer Disko’s to pirate ships.

Seeing as I had given it time to warm up, Megafobia was next. I must admit I was really excited for I wanted to compare it to Nash to see if Nash had overtaken it as my no 1 coaster.

First off, the initial drop is fantastic, there’s a really intense hit of ejector airtime as you go down it in the back, and I would rate it up there with Oblivion as the best drop in the UK. After that though it’s rather rough. There’s a great sense of speed, and the laterals are brilliant. But it would appear Nash has spoilt it for me, as Nash’s airtime just blows Megafobia out of the water! Some of the hills were good, but it was no way near as aggressive and intense as Nash. Overall it’s still one of the best coasters in the UK, even when it’s riding mediocre. Though I will say you have to ride it in the back for a good ride.

Annoyingly Waterfall had been on rotation with Snake River Falls, so it had been closed all day up till now. I was about to go on it but chickened out… I just know I would wipeout at the end, and seeing as I had nowhere to leave my bag I passed on it. It looks hilarious but terrifying!

So my next ride was speed, which still had no queue, and was still riding rather well. Then I decided to ride bounce for a second time, followed by two rides on Megafobia near the back. Unfortunately it still hadn’t reached it’s peak, so it was still not in the same league as Nash.

It was nearing the end of the day so I did a round of re-rides on everything, bounce first, two rounds of speed second and two back row rides on megafobia. I must admit I had a really great day! They have two great coasters at Oakwood, and some really unique rides! And I must admit I didn't get everything done that I had wanted to, oh well I have neverland and waterfall for next time!