What's new

NY Daily News Article- Rollercoasters are dangerous!

Dave

CF Legend
Little bit of a sensational news article! Right in time for the summer season and also nearly 1 year since The Smiler accident too, but this takes on the stories of that theme parks are dangerous! They surmise that theme parks are hiding the dangerous risks that people are subjected to on the rides and don't tell people about them.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2653335

Oh this is while their main story is about a shooting spree that left one person dead and thirteen injured.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
The intention of the article - demanding unified independent inspections of rollercoasters in the US is relatable, but the way how it is presented and the examples that were use make it kinda impossible for me to take it serious.

Because a man who was not eligible to ride a rollercoaster (he had no legs) rode a rollercoaster, the rollercoaster was presented as unsafe. In reality, this was human error, both the ride operator and the rider failed to realize that the rollercoaster won't be able to hold him due to his missing legs. Poor guy, but was not a fault of the rollercoaster or its maintenance. But "a war veteran who lost his legs dies in a rollercoaster" just sounds so tragic (and it actually is) that they use it even though it makes no sense. They are just using this tragic story to convince the reader through sympathy and fear, which is unprofessional in my opinion.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah my favourite part is how the day to Darien Lake was this Vet's one day escape since returning back from war three years earlier.

His ONE day.

And he got spited.

Womp womp.

Ridiculous article. It's funny how it doesn't mention the ones where the ride has actually been at fault, like foot spite at SFKK.