What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You're right Ben, she didn't, but it still doesn't make it the greatest film ever! It's a good film, but it requires a degree of personal saddity (I just made the word up, it means you have to be sad to truly enjoy it). It's a kind of cult geek thing... You're cool if you love it, but only amongst other people who think it's cool, who a re generally not people you'd want to spend much time with :lol:

It's fun for what it is, but don't be fooled ;)

Ben

CF Legend
If dressing up in fishnets and stilettos to throw toast and rice at a movie aren't cool, I don't want to know what is.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
If dressing up in fishnets and stilettos to throw toast and rice at a movie aren't cool, I don't want to know what is.

I rest my case m'lord! :lol:

I didn't say Rocky Horror Picture show was bad; it's something I will probably watch every now and then. I loved the weirdness of the storyline and I just loved how random the whole thing was, but the songs weren't my favourite so that's what brought it from like, an eight to a seven.

It was still good though; but I like Sweeney and stuff better. But this was still great and unique just for how whacky it was.

tks

Strata Poster
Rocky Horror > Almost all of everything else.

Almost everything being pumped out into the cinemas atm is absolute sh.t, therefore i havent actually seen anything for ages.

Although I have just watched Walk The Line on film4. Amazing film.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Science fiction
woo hoo hoo
double feature.
Dr ed..
will build a creature..

etc etc etc

F'ing great

Due to be remade as a made for tv movie for sky one.. probably will suck balls

^ Yeah, I don't think it would be as good if it were remade. They would probably try to modernize it and such, which would probably take away most of the cheesiness, which is one of the best parts about it!

Snoo

The Legend
Shutter

Well.. interesting.. but it just wasn't scary like it was advertised. Meh.

7/10

Taylor is a douchebag and Kumar 2

Definitely some funny bits, but past the laughs, I really didn't like the movie.

7/10

[/quote]Harlod and Kumar 2

Definitely some funny bits, but past the laughs, I really didn't like the movie.

7/10[/quote]

Harlod, eh?! :p

I liked Harold and Kumar 2, and I want to see the first one, but we all know the best part of the second is when he is on shrooms and is seeing unicorns, aha.

The Living and the Dead

Umm, what can I say? A retarded guy takes care of his mother and fails miserably. It was a decent movie, but nothing that is worthy of any award. I felt really bad for the dad in this movie, and if you ever watch it you will know why!

6.8/10

Blair Witch Project

I have seen this before, but I don't think I have ever posted a review. I watched it again last night and I have to say it's one of my favourite horror movies despite the amount of dissing it got. It is miles better and creepier and Cloverfield and they way they film it works great. If I had seen it when it first came out, I would've probably believed it was real footage.

8/10

Emmmerrrr

Mega Poster
The Strangers

Creepy film but it gets more and more predictable as it goes on. It's not your average horror film though so I like it for that. There's quite a few good jumpy moments too and it scared my quite a lot haha. The ending kind of lost me a bit which annoyed me because I understood it all up to then, and I normally get confused in films easily. I'd say overall it's not the most amazing film ever but it's definitely worth a watch.

8/10

kimahri

CF Legend
^ EMMMEEEERRRR <3

Went shopping yesturday and got some movies and stuff.

First was Mr magoriums wonder emporium. Its a nice kids movie but it ends kinda of suddenly but found it had a cute little vibe around it.

6/10

Next was Blade Runner and it was like wtf. I think I need to watch it again. It made no sense to me.

?/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Blade Runner is awesome, but which version did you watch? It's a very subtle film in it's original form, without the voice overs and stuff explaining what is happening. It's also dark and just moves on without letting you really grasp the story.

The story is superb though once you get it, and for several re-watches you'll notice more and more adding to it. One of my favourite films just due to the atmosphere it creates, and the emotion of the film.

It's nothing like the book though! :lol:

I watched the Cohen Brother's remake of The Lady Killers

I've not seen the original, so can't really comment unfortunately, but it was a light, simple film - nicely made and good performances all round. I imagine that the original is one fo those "classics" that should not be remade, but this version was good enough. It always danced on the edge of brilliance, but never quite made it. Still, we (me and minor_furie) had a giggle and enjoyed it. 8/10.

I've got a few Cohen Brothers films on order, so expect more reviews of their stuff as I 'catch up'.

kimahri

CF Legend
Furie:

It was the Directors cut I think. there was this text thing at the beggining which told you about the replicant uprising.

But it lost me.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Erm... The original release had a talk over at the start explaining things. It ruins the film once you know it, so the director's cut is better, but it's much more confusing.

The replicants are genetically created people. With the genetic code designed to make them stronger and smarter. However, they are released fully grown and programmed to do their jobs.

To function well, then need the intelligence, but this led to them realising they're better than humans and being treated as slaves. So they rebelled. This led to replicants being banned from Earth, and that they all had to have a shortened life span. So their age (based on inset date) is hard coded into their genes. It's supposed to mean that they never live long enough to get curious and work out what they are, and that they should fight it.

The four in the film are all highly developed versions, part of a new wave that had been put out which are even better. That's how they made it to Earth.

Harrison Ford (Deckard) is a Blade Runner - a replicant bounty hunter working for the police. Only at the start of the film, he's retired. He's re-hired to find the four who have come to Earth.

At the start, you see the test to see if someone is a replicant or not - the test works on emotional response - replicants don't know how to handle emotions, as they are not programmed with them, and they can't develop them as they only live a couple of years. Imagine the emotional responses of a two or three year old - they haven't lived long enough to understand how to deal with love, hate, frustration, etc. So they lash out. Replicants are emotionally at the same level, only massively more intelligent.

The latest models have false memories implanted, so they don't even know they're a replicant. As they have memories, they can relate emotional responses back to times in their life which were important for them to grow. They obsess over those memories though, stories, photos, music, dreams, etc. It all helps the replicant come to terms with their emotions. So you have the complication of Rachael in this situation - someone Deckard by law should kill!

So the film is all about the replicants searching for meaning, and to understand themselves, and why they feel the way they do. They also want to know if they can be 'made' to live longer. It's a quest for God and understanding.

The film is on many levels, so you have multiple stories running simultaneously, which is what makes it so rewatchable. The first time you may just see it as a sci-fi cop action film, but the next time you see it from the replicant's view as the search for knowledge, the next time... Well, it's up to you to watch it and get more from the film :)

Taylor would hate it! :lol:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Donnie Darko

Overall, quite a good film. Some bit of it where a bit creepy, however the ending was really good.

I also really like the rabbit mask thing!

Overall 7/10

Lain

Giga Poster
Blade Runner is ace. It is a little bit confusing at first, but stick with it and you'll love it.

Also, Vangelis is an actual God.

Jake

Strata Poster
Strangers sucked - it had no real plot and the ending was just WTF?

I'd have felt cheated if i'd paid to get in!

Taylor would hate it!

I probably would; if there is a main story and then a bunch of small little stories, I probably wouldn't even bother watching it.

And please, if someone is going to post spoilers of Strangers, make the font white because I'm gonna watch that as soon as it's released on DVD and I don't want it to be ruined.

Ben

CF Legend
All through the TPR trip I was being recommended a film - as such I just finished watching Clue.

For anyone that doesn't know, it's based on the board game (of the same name if you're stupid and don't understand the proper name for the game, which is of course, Cluedo).

Anyhow, it's one of those totally camp, totally cult, totally ham films - as a result, I loved it. It's one of the most hilarious films I've seen in forever. Why? Because the cast and their characters was one of the best and quickest collection of actors I've seen on film. Loved it. Recommended for anyone that likes their humour to be fun and quick, and likes their films culty.

Tay, I wouldn't recommend it to you - you'd probably just get confused because more then one thing happens in the course of the film.