What's new

No Six Flags Dubai...for now.

Ben

CF Legend
The two million visitors doesn’t sound so bad until you realise it’s for like three parks ha.

I mean, obviously it wasn’t gonna hit 2019. Or indeed. Ever

Matt N

CF Legend
I must say, I am rather surprised that the Dubai Parks & Resorts parks only get 2 million visitors between them. I was under the impression that they got quite a lot of visitors, but it would turn out that they actually only get around 600-700,000 guests per park, which is interesting... why could this be?

peep

CF Legend
I was under the impression that they got quite a lot of visitors

Really? I've never seen or heard anyone say they've ever seen a decent sized crowd there. This news was not a shock to me. I've seen some mention on Twitter that maybe if they had at least one more hotel and a few different reasons for trekking out that far from the city it might take off? There's actually a massive shopping outlet next door but it feels like they've done everything they can to segregate it from the resort area. The whole thing is just one weird decision after another.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
From my time there the only places that were ever busy where the big malls around dinner time - apart from that, most 'public' areas are pretty deserted.

Matt N

CF Legend
Really? I've never seen or heard anyone say they've ever seen a decent sized crowd there. This news was not a shock to me. I've seen some mention on Twitter that maybe if they had at least one more hotel and a few different reasons for trekking out that far from the city it might take off? There's actually a massive shopping outlet next door but it feels like they've done everything they can to segregate it from the resort area. The whole thing is just one weird decision after another.
Sorry, I should probably rephrase that. What I probably meant to say is that I thought they were built for 5-10million visitors per year, so I was surprised that they only got 600,000-700,000 each.

xxx374xxx

Roller Poster
Late 2019 To Mid 2020 - New Park - (11/8/18) Even though the initial phases of construction for Six Flags Dubai had started long ago, this report from GulfBusiness claims that DXB Entertainment was “undertaking a board-mandated review that could see plans for the fourth theme park”, to be delayed. To be honest though, based on the slow progress seen on the site already, it was doubtful that Six Flags Dubai was going to open by the end of 2019 anyway.
The article goes on to say that they are planning on adding “11 new shows” to the Bollywood park in the first half of 2019 and that they have also apparently just “revised” their ticket prices ahead of the busy winter season “to increase our admissions yield.” Other areas of focus for improvements involve Riverland Dubai, as well as a note about how they are “repositioning the park [Bollywood Parks Dubai] to provide a more inclusive family experience.” While I haven’t visited the park to know for sure, I'm guessing this may translating as a desire to make the park more kid friendly and in line with the offerings at the Legoland and Motiongate Dubai parks.
In regards to the Six Flags Dubai park project, the currently strategic review will “determine scope, timeline and potential alternatives” to the project in “light of existing customer demand.” Hmmmm… this last part does not sound like this may bode well for the Six Flags product if the determine that it skews to an older demographic that they are not yet seeing demand for at the DXB parks. Though it would also be wise to remember that the younger guests who are enjoying the product being offered today will grow up and want more age appropriate attractions as well when they return in future years.
The results of the study are expected to be presented to the board before the end of the year, along with what kind of impact it will have on the future development of the project.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
As a side note. Also in First Drop this issue was a section where they speak to Clair Hain Jr the president of GCI at IAAPA where she confirms GCI are building a wooden coaster for Six Flags Dubai. If I was a betting man I'd put money on this being one of the first installations with the new GCI trains capeable of inverting. But for now we just need the park to actually get moving for it to even happen.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
And there we have the final confirmation:
Development of Six Flags Dubai put on hold indefinitely
DXB Entertainments, the Dubai theme parks operator, shelved plans for a Six Flags theme park, which was part of its expansion plans, due to lack of financing.

The decision comes amid a strategic review of DXB Entertainments’s future development plans and capital allotment, which the board commenced last August, the company said in a statement. This included Six Flags Dubai, which was scheduled to open this year.
https://www.thenational.ae/business...flags-dubai-put-on-hold-indefinitely-1.822857

Matt N

CF Legend
You know what they should do instead? Six Flags Over Telford.
No brainer.
Hear hear! Six Flags Over Bristol would also be good, in my eyes (As nice as Six Flags Over The Forest of Dean would be, the name is long and it probably wouldn't get approval!); there's not even any local competition here in the South West (well, there is Brean Theme Park, but that's all the way down by Weston.)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wait, @Matt N, you're a Bristolian too?

But for real though, SFOB would be wonderful. <3

peep

CF Legend
Interesting and very unexpected news. I can't imagine it'll be enough to save the whole place but I'm intrigued to see how things will be incorporated into the existing parks.

I feel like I saw a tweet a few days ago saying Lego are building a hotel in Dubai - I assume as part of this resort - anyone else seen anything? Seems like a bizarre decision but maybe the IP will help bring people over?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
a wooden coaster with the most air times ever.

One of the better world records to go for, if you're going to go for any! This is cool, Motiongate felt like it was abit uncared for when I went a couple months ago, so it'd be good to see some investment