What's new

NL Competition 9 2013 - Lose Your Lunch Results!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Sorry I forgot to post results. Thursday nights are busier than I expected.

My ride, with a total of 48.3 points, was November Gale:

NovemberGale-130908185252000_zps7945ed61.png

In 9th place, with 33.8 points, is Cobra by Treeis:

Cobra-130908183727000_zpse872cd34.png

Cobra was by no means bad regarding technique, but it lost a lot of realism points. There were also a few rides where I got next to no spinning.

In 8th place, with 35 points, is Tijuana by TomahawKSU:

Tijuana-130908190620000_zps5bb89604.png

By no means your best ride, I enjoyed the double down going backwards and the hills seemed to have consistent spinning. Don't forget to finish supporting next time :p

In 7th place, with 36.25 points, is Turbulence by Youngster Joey:

Turbulence-130908190543000_zps87d395f7.png

Like the others so far, it wasn't bad. Turbulence just didn't have anything special or stand out.

In 6th place, with 38.6 points, is Akros by Metalhead7:

Akros-130908183344000_zpsc22316bd.png

Akros definitely wins the weird award. I liked the idea and the layout, but the thing that drove me the most nuts were the bridge supports, which would have failed almost immediately.

In 5th place, with 38.9 points, is Twist n Shout by Intricks:

TwistnShout-130913175541000_zps56263816.png

Although very short and a bit too intense (red lateral Gs), I really liked the layout. The elements chosen provided a huge amount of spinning and left me with a wtf feeling.

In 4th place, with 40.6 points, is Throne by Kimahri:

Throne-130908185626000_zps4cfaf75e.png

Throne is fast and realistic. Most of the points were lost due to pumps and jerks in the track.

In 3rd place, with 45.63 points, is Flexx by Jer:

Flexx-130908184550000_zps74ae1ffe.png

Another quality ride by Jer. Trackwork, realism, etc was sound but nothing really stood out from the other rides. The spinning was also hit or miss.

In 2nd place, with 46.6 points, is Cyclone by Uncle Arly:

Cyclone-130908184122000_zpsb387e48a.png

Cyclone was all around great regarding trackwork, originality, and adrenaline. It was also one of the most aesthetically pleasing ride in the contest. While I loved the idea of the launch and I hope it happens in the future, it did drop your score a couple points in the realism category. Well done though!

And the winner, with 50.1 points, is Jungle Twister by Hixee!

JungleTwister-130908185041000_zps1ae30c4e.png

What set Jungle Twister apart from the rest was its ultra realistic layout. It was very much a compact Maurer Sohne spinner with inversions squeezed in there. There were a few spots that probably wouldn't pass an envelope test, but everything else was ace. Congrats, Hixee!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Congrats to all! Surprised I made it to 5th with how small my layout was.

I had to keep the red laterals because they were inconsistent throughout watching it run per train. If it didnt get good spin the lats would spike, but then the rest of the time it would run fine. It was maddening lol.

Treeis

Mega Poster
hmph.

When I was making my ride, I made a special effort to make it as original as it could be, since the details of this competition made it very clear that the rides needed to be original since we are in the 9th 'round'.

Now it seems that the rides are in fact being judged on realism instead which is a bit annoying. I have plenty of realistic tracks on my computer that could have scored a lot better in this round if I had thrown a barrel roll in and used that instead.

Every time I enter one of these competitions I always place lower than I expect and its really winding me up. Except for that mine-train adventure round...but I really wasn't taking that one seriously at all.

Sorry about this, I think university stress is getting to me...

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Oh wow, was not expecting second, but pleased with that. And yeah, the launch isn't entirely realistic, especially at the angle I placed it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Antinos said:
What set Jungle Twister apart from the rest was its ultra realistic layout. It was very much a compact Maurer Sohne spinner with inversions squeezed in there. There were a few spots that probably wouldn't pass an envelope test, but everything else was ace. Congrats, Hixee!
Wow! Wasn't expecting that. Thanks!

Don't get me started on the supports. Had a headache enough keeping track of which support was which in the editor, and didn't have the time to re-jig the whole thing to open up the clearances. But hey, I can't really complain.

Treeis said:
When I was making my ride, I made a special effort to make it as original as it could be, since the details of this competition made it very clear that the rides needed to be original since we are in the 9th 'round'.

Now it seems that the rides are in fact being judged on realism instead which is a bit annoying. I have plenty of realistic tracks on my computer that could have scored a lot better in this round if I had thrown a barrel roll in and used that instead.
I understand how this might be frustrating, but originality and realism aren't mutually exclusive. The rides were ranked on both realism and originality - and weighted equally for both too. Not suggesting that you shouldn't feel disappointed, but I don't think Marc was too far off the mark.

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
Treeis said:
Every time I enter one of these competitions I always place lower than I expect and its really winding me up.
Been there, done it, got the T-shirt...I definitely know the feeling, since I came in a close second in Comp 2, "Screw Me," but have been steadily slipping since then! Nice job on everybody's part who finished this one, though, especially to Hixee for the winning entry! I probably wouldn't be able to handle riding a spinning coaster in real life, because I couldn't even watch any of these long enough to give a fair Riders' Choice rating, let alone try to design one myself!

Any of you use Windows Live Movie Maker? I've been working on a video of some of the ones I did from the earlier comps, with all the scenery. At the time, I was planning on making a "tour" of several of them, with music, specific location themes, background stories, etc. I'm afraid they might slow everybody's computers down on YouTube as badly as they did in NL, but I guess we'll see!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
SFOGRICH said:
Any of you use Windows Live Movie Maker? I've been working on a video of some of the ones I did from the earlier comps, with all the scenery. At the time, I was planning on making a "tour" of several of them, with music, themes, background stories, etc. I'm afraid they might slow everybody's computers down on YouTube as badly as they did in NL, but I guess we'll see!

I use it to knock together simple POVs of my tracks and throw some music in the background. It's very basic and you can't do much, but it's fine for simple stuff.

The lagging some people experience won't happen once you have recorded the video. It may take a long time to record, but once it is placed in a video editor it will run at the 'proper' speed. My laptop is pretty old and I'll get around 50FPS for a relatively scenery-lacking track, but once it's been recorded it runs at a good FPS. So unless you have slow internet, then a youtube video should play perfectly :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: NL Competition 9 2013 - Lose Your Lunch Results!

My worst track I think in all the comps. Oh well.

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
On another YouTube-related matter, I've noticed that a lot of NL tracks get posted there, some of them with music. In most cases, they either name the song titles and artists in the posting or list them in credits in the video itself. Anybody know if that's good enough for copyright purposes? Most of the ones I'm using for mine are pretty old, and probably wouldn't raise too many hackles, but two of them were pretty high on the charts in the 1980s. Since I also have instrumental karaoke versions of them, which don't have the original artists performing, I wonder if I'd be playing it safe to use those instead. Then again, for all I know, they might still be considered to be the same songs! If anybody has any experience with all that, let me know what you think would be best.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I've been told it makes absolutely no difference, but the videos I've posted commenting that I do not own the music too seem to be banned in some countries less than without the comment.

So in my experience, it works, but it could be pure coincidence. I'm not really sure whether karaoke versions have any baring on copyright issues so can't really help you there.

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
Thanks, Uncle Arly! Just to cover all the bases, I'll probably say in the post that I don't own the music selections, that all titles and artists are listed in the end credits and are available for MP3 download at Amazon.com, where I purchased them prior to making the video - some thing along those lines, anyway! :)

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
If you have a pitch editor change the pitch on the song up a little. Thats how full cd's get posted online and avoid detection.