What's new

NL Competition 3 2013 - Size Wise

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
93j2b001lq8rmqgv84hmo7.jpg

Bolliger & Mabillard's speed coasters are not only a hot commodity in the amusement industry, but a popular No Limits ride type as well. Sadly, I can't just let you guys build any standard speed coaster. This contest has boundaries and a height ceiling (approx 160 feet/50 meters) to simulate an amusement park with a tight footprint, whether it be buildings, trees, other rides, proximity to an airport, etc.

Rules:
-No tools
-No 3Ds
-Track MUST remain inside the boundaries (red lines in a U shape) and height ceiling (purple lines)
-Supports must remain inside boundaries

Ctrl+g and iSmooth are encouraged. Judging criteria is the same:

Technique - 10 points
Realism - 10 points
Originality - 10 points
Adrenaline - 10 points
Aesthetics - 5 points
User ratings - 10 points

To encourage longer tracks, a bonus 5 points will be awarded to any track longer than 3,900 feet long (the length of Hollywood Dream: The Ride)

Total - 60 points

Due Date: May 5th, 2013

Please send all tracks with your USERNAME to marcantinossi [at] gmail [dot] com.

Template download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?db73md38oy7h6ev

Good luck to those competing! If anybody has any questions, ask in the topic.

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
I just downloaded the template. After what Treeis said, I zoomed all the way in on side view to see how high the height bar is, and it comes up as 196.85 feet. Can we keep and use that, if it's what it was when we downloaded it?

Thanks for getting another one started so soon! This is my first time to look at B & M speed coaster trains since I've had NL 1.8, and I was hoping they'd given us the kind Diamondback has, but I guess not!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
You guys are correct - the ceiling is wrong. My original intention was for 50 meters/160 feet, but apparently I can't count, so the height limit will remain 60 meters/195 feet. Either way, it would probably be in everybody's best interest to go nowhere near the ceiling, due to the space allotted.

Jer

Strata Poster
Treeis said:
Jer said:
I just dropped the height limit to 160....
Now we'll know which one yours is

Okay, so ill move it back.

Not trying to brag, but my ride is looking damn sexy, and I feel bad for anyone competing with it :p

VooDoDe

Roller Poster
Antinos said:
You guys are correct - the ceiling is wrong. My original intention was for 50 meters/160 feet, but apparently I can't count, so the height limit will remain 60 meters/195 feet. Either way, it would probably be in everybody's best interest to go nowhere near the ceiling, due to the space allotted.

Mine is 180ft tall and it fits reasonably so far. It's a good challenge to try to make it fit while keeping it safe.

VooDoDe

Roller Poster
****... I was messing around with my track after done working on it for the day and it for some reason saved it. Now most of it is lost. :x :( :evil:

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
^Oh man, that's a bummer! I've done that before too, maybe not losing a whole track, but losing whatever work I'd done in that particular sitting. What I've been doing lately is to leap-frog between two track files, in this case "NLComp3" like it was when we downloaded it, and "NLComp 3 Experiment" when I'm changing something, in case what I change makes it worse than what it was. If the new change works out OK, then I'll save it under the second name, and whatever I do next I'll go back to the first name, and so on for any further changes. That way, I'll always have at least however much I had at the last "save." I've got sort of a tradition of waiting until the track is finished before I save it under whatever name I'll be giving it - sort of a christening ceremony, if you will!

Hope you can re-make whatever you had so far for your track!

VooDoDe

Roller Poster
SFOGRICH said:
^Oh man, that's a bummer! I've done that before too, maybe not losing a whole track, but losing whatever work I'd done in that particular sitting. What I've been doing lately is to leap-frog between two track files, in this case "NLComp3" like it was when we downloaded it, and "NLComp 3 Experiment" when I'm changing something, in case what I change makes it worse than what it was. If the new change works out OK, then I'll save it under the second name, and whatever I do next I'll go back to the first name, and so on for any further changes. That way, I'll always have at least however much I had at the last "save." I've got sort of a tradition of waiting until the track is finished before I save it under whatever name I'll be giving it - sort of a christening ceremony, if you will!

Hope you can re-make whatever you had so far for your track!
Thanks. :p I was actually intending on making a second save but kept on putting it off. Oh well, I learned quite a bit while making the track so hopefully I can make the next one better.

Louis!

Mega Poster
Working on an entry, can't say I will finish it though.

Glad contests are going on again though :)