What's new

New4D

kimahri

CF Legend
AKA, weird guy speaks like a perv about his "New Technology".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHQ-Caz9UM[/youtube]

I guess it could work? I think... His voice creeps me out.

Edit: have we had this already yet, I dunno.

Lofty

CF Legend
His voice and personality are as dull as grey. He's so **** annoying. Although, he may have something on his hands, unless it's just some baffling idiot who think's he's going to make it...

Titan

Mega Poster
"The rotation is unlimited, so are the possibilities..." He has the utmost enthusiasm.

Its basically just the arrow 4D but with different rails. I dont see how it will run any differently than the Arrow 4D. He claims it would be smoother and the trains can be lighter and cheaper but I just dont see how that can happen. Id have to see a demonstrator first, but that wont happen either. There just isnt a demand for 4Ds. I mean, I know X was a failure in a way, but theres only a few 4Ds after a decade of them being around.

This looks like a college engineering project actually.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I watched both his videos ironically last night. Couldnt here him for ****, bit when I did, he sounded like the creepy guy hiding behind you in the bushes whackin one out with your undies on his head.

Switching between the hideouts'...

kimahri

CF Legend
Titan said:
Its basically just the arrow 4D but with different rails. I dont see how it will run any differently than the Arrow 4D. He claims it would be smoother and the trains can be lighter and cheaper but I just dont see how that can happen. Id have to see a demonstrator first, but that wont happen either. There just isnt a demand for 4Ds. I mean, I know X was a failure in a way, but theres only a few 4Ds after a decade of them being around.

Did you not see his tiny bit of paper. It explains everything in great detail, therefore obviously right.

Titan

Mega Poster
kimahri said:
Did you not see his tiny bit of paper. It explains everything in great detail, therefore obviously right.

Dont forget the $200 coasterdynamix model, it proves so much. Wait a minute, I own a coasterdynamix model! (courtesy of my high school, thank you very much taxes!) I must be an awesome engineer!

Intricks

Strata Poster
While 4Ds may not be in high demand, the B&M Wing Rider sure is. S&S Power probably has higher cost, more maintenence issues and more general stress to track and trains. Plus, isnt B&M working on getting a 4D up and running sometime soon in small baby steps instead of doing it all at once and have imminent failure like Arrow did? I can seem B&M using a form of this for their 4D.

Also, if you read his comments, he claims there is 1,000,000,000 degrees of possible rotation for this thing with a grand total of being able to go 900 on one side and 900 on the other. What?

Switching between the hideouts'...

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
This is simply a different method of creating the same problems. Such a unusual gearing system would actually both cause more stresses on the trains and track, whilst not eliminating any of the strains or problems that are causing X2, for example, to slowly tear itself apart. Plus this whole 'can rotate loads because of the rotational motion' makes no sense given the finite width of track.

If you look through his other videos, you'll clearly see he has no idea what he's talking about, and most of his ideas are very similar if not the same to things that have been done before. His 'double track one spine' idea is stupid, as he clearly has not thought through any of the force issues related to simply putting a train on the outside vs inside of the track spine, never mind the supporting...

Ugh, this guy has little to no clue and seems really up himself. Je ne l'aime pas

andrus

Giga Poster
I think the "type 1" concept sounds interesting. The singel guide spine in the middle of the track allows for the train wheels to run on the outside of the rails, which should make the ride smoother. Further the train looks a lot slimmer then the Arrow/S&S version which would provide less stress on the track = smaller track and cheaper coaster.

The "type 2" concept is interesting as well. But not for the "two tracks one spine" idea (the track would have to cope with twice the stress = be a lot bigger and not cheaper than two separate spines). But the concept is interesting because of the seat rotations made possible and the cool looking inversions/non-inversions. It would be just like a controlled S&S free fly.

I hope that some serious coaster manufacturer pic up some of this guys ideas. I'm sure they need a lot of work to be realized, but I think it is doable!

reddude333

Giga Poster
I don't blame him for trying to put his idea out there...since 4D is definitely a somewhat undeveloped technology (although changes were obviously made to X) But his enthusiasm is just horrendous and yes he does seem like a creeper.

And just for the record, 4D coasters may have not really taken off but I for one think that X was great when I went on it (albeit was quite a while ago-it was still pink, lol) and it has been a very popular ride at SFMM ever since it was birthed.

Pablo237

Roller Poster
I remember reading and seeing this guy on TPR. The reactions are different here. Over there people were splooging their pants over this guy, even Robb. I thought it was funny. Then the guy joined their forums and everybody there had a splooge extravaganza. "Oooh a real roller coaster designer on our forums!!!" I thought it was funny.

For the "innovated concept" he presented. Sure it might be possible. But there will be technical problems and tons of development to make this possible. Sure it is possible. But I am not wowed by it. It is a small edit to the current 4D. Nothing that Impressive.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
How many types of 4D coasters exist?

Arrow 4D
ZacSpin
B&M Wind-rider

any more? and this guy is just improving the traditional arrow 4D then, correct?

Titan

Mega Poster
The wing-rider isnt even a 4D, its a fixed 4D, meaning its just a sitting coaster. As far as coaster definitions go, the added 4th Dimension is rotation about the riders lateral axis (which is also why spinning coasters arent considered 4Ds, they rotate on a different axis). So really there are only 2. I dont believe that changing the method of a controlled 4D is going to change how it rides, Itll be the quality of the manufacturing. I dont think theyll pick up until either Intamin or B&M makes them, or S&S puts more effort into it.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
bizarrofan10 said:
How many types of 4D coasters exist?

Arrow 4D
ZacSpin
B&M Wind-rider

any more? and this guy is just improving the traditional arrow 4D then, correct?

The wingrider isn't 4D ;) it isnt enough to just hang off the track otherwise a Dive Machine would be 4D as well. The seats actually have to rotate unlike the B&M and Intamin wingriders.

Its not really even a 4D ride, it just has an extra degree of freedom. Alan Schilkie coined the term 4D.

I think a sick idea would be a total multiaxis coaster.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Honestly, a ZacSpin is barely a 4D because the seats may rotate but it only moves up and down otherwise, not side to side...not saying its not a 4D just that it doesn't really fit the definition well.