What's new

New trains for Tomahawk & retrack for Stampida

oriolat2

Giga Poster
After a short off-season, PortAventura is going to start their 20th season celebrating its anniversary with plenty of decorations around the park and new shows. What the park has been really secretive about is the recent trackwork spotted around Stampida.

While most Spanish enthusiasts hoped (daydreamed?) for an extensive retrack of the dual-track wooden coaster, it turns out that the lucky coaster to get new trains is going to be Tomahawk. In fact, PortAventura has spent quite a bit of money on brand-new Mini-llennium Flyers from GCII (a bit like what happened to Coastersaurus at Legoland Florida).

Here's a picture of the new trains:
10999430_931729993538521_4652748883551358512_n.jpg

Hopefully, those awful turns will have been banked to avoid the unnecessary lateral bashing.

I will keep you posted because next Saturday the park is holding an even for theme park enthusiasts/experts and they are going to unveil something "big" for Stampida as well, which is not going to open along with the rest of the coasters of the park this season. Who knows, maybe Stampida is also in for a GCII treatment? Something like a Real Major Conversion (wink wink)?

Source: CAPTE.org and VideoReviewParks

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Re: Tomahawk at PortAventura gets new trains

Exciting stuff! Stampidia has the potential to be a great coaster, it was just was too rough to enjoy, can't wait to find out what they are doing to it!

Casio

Mega Poster

Next Saturday as in the 21st or the 28th? Either way, this has got me excited. I used to love Stampida but it really weighs down an otherwise phenomenal ride line-up these days. With Tomahawk and both Stampida tracks, there's almost 8000 ft of coaster in that structure; it be awesome to see what RMC could do with it. I guess realistically a major GCII/Gravity Group overhaul is far more likely. But we can dream!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ Are you suggesting they combine Tomahawk and Stampedia?

New trains: Excellent, with the new trains and only three layers of padding, it should be quite smooth!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

The GCI Millennium Flyer is arguably the best roller coaster train out there. Glad to see PortAventura making this move!

Now if only we could coax some American parks to look away from the traditional PTCs to Millennium Flyers or Timberliners...

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

Hopefully the new trains will improve it. I found Tomahawk rather vile.

Casio

Mega Poster

Ian said:
^ Are you suggesting they combine Tomahawk and Stampedia?

New trains: Excellent, with the new trains and only three layers of padding, it should be quite smooth!

No haha! Obviously not since a) it's getting new trains b) it's really small c) it'd probably cost more than just building new track. Just that there's such a huge amount of track in there, that if RMC were to convert the 6000 ft of Stampida we'd get something fantastically messy.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

Exciting news. I think both Tomahawk and Stampida are fantastic coasters but they have gotten a bit uncomfortable over the years. Looking forward to seeing what happens here.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Stampida is good, but could be awesome. Some retracking is definitely needed, but if it's going to be closed all year I guess it could be getting the Iron Horse treatment...?

Oh, and is GCII a typo?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Wait Stampida is going to be shut all season? Seriously PA already has a weak line up of coasters when you look at it, then take this out and it makes it even worse. Shame, but at least it's for the great good.

Do we have source from where this information that it will be shut all season has come from though?

jj23w

Hyper Poster

Please don't spite me of Stampida and Tomahawk in June.

oriolat2

Giga Poster

owentaylor121 said:
Wait Stampida is going to be shut all season? Seriously PA already has a weak line up of coasters when you look at it, then take this out and it makes it even worse. Shame, but at least it's for the great good.

Do we have source from where this information that it will be shut all season has come from though?

I guess I worded it wrong. What I meant is that Stampida is not planned to open along with the rest of the park in March but it will at some this season. As far as I know, Stampida has been heavily retracked and some sections have been completely rebuilt (some drops have had their banking increased, for instance). Hopefully Stampida will reopen soon enough, since the Kumbak trains have been spotted testing this afternoon.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

^Thank you, the calm me down a little, can't wait to see how the re-tracking has helped the ride, it was almost unbearable last year.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Oh, the lack of banking is what made Stampida fun :(

It's the bottom of some of the drops that broke my spine.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Stampida being closed for extended periods of time would actually improve the park's coaster lineup... Law of averages and what-not...

spicy

Giga Poster
Lets just hope they change the vile Kumbak trains. They are seriously awful and ruined the coaster.

Are all Kumbak trains vile? I rode Arkham Asylum the Vekoma SLC with Kumbak trains and I thought the restraint was going to cut my legs off.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Did I say that Stampida got heavily retracked?

Just look at this recent photo from the second hill, which has been completely rebuilt. The fresh wood and the banking make me think that maybe this time the park has nailed it with the refurbishment.

10492142_932481613463359_2923552246452062606_n.jpg

More pictures of the current state of Stampida:

th720_1c52112f7c1f2f0446cca0b2a46cf53c.jpg

th720_e04595e99cb38d3fd001c5652679d1e9.jpg

th720_5d3aa0871e228fabc7a21b526fb11cf6.jpg

Source: VideoReviewParks and PA-Community