What's new

New Themed Park Coming to US

Matt N

CF Legend
Exciting! I wonder what the themes could be, and what sort of rides will be on offer?

Also, it might be worth me pointing out that the announcement has now been postponed to some point in May.

Certainly exciting news nonetheless, and I can’t wait to see what it is!
Maybe this could be the location of the mystery Gerstlauer coaster?
That’s a good suggestion, but I think the Gerstlauer might be opening a bit too soon to be for this. Ride Entertainment Group said that the mystery Gerstlauer is due to open in May 2022, and I think that’s probably a little too soon for a park that hasn’t been announced yet to be opening unless it’s already started construction, which is unlikely seeing as we haven’t had an announcement.

I wouldn’t rule anything out, though; I suppose it wouldn’t be too preposterous to see this park open in 2022 if they’ve got a speedy construction crew!

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I suppose it wouldn’t be too preposterous to see this park open in 2022 if they’ve got a speedy construction crew!
What Hixee said. Look to Universal Studios Beijing; that place has been under construction since 2016. I would think 2025 is the absolute earliest we could hope to see this park open.

Matt N

CF Legend
I did say that it was very unlikely, but is it possible that the park has managed to start construction in some form and just managed to slip under the radar? Of course, that probably still wouldn’t get the park open in 2022, but it could bump proceedings forward a bit to 2023/2024. Look at Lost Island Theme Park in Iowa; that place is allegedly opening next year, and that didn’t long start construction.

The point I was originally trying to get across is; personally, I think it’s very unlikely that this project will be the home to the new, record-breaking Gerstlauer being built in the USA, simply because that project will be opening in May 2022, and this park is very, very unlikely to be open by then.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I did say that it was very unlikely, but is it possible that the park has managed to start construction in some form and just managed to slip under the radar? Of course, that probably still wouldn’t get the park open in 2022, but it could bump proceedings forward a bit to 2023/2024. Look at Lost Island Theme Park in Iowa; that place is allegedly opening next year, and that didn’t long start construction.

The point I was originally trying to get across is; personally, I think it’s very unlikely that this project will be the home to the new, record-breaking Gerstlauer being built in the USA, simply because that project will be opening in May 2022, and this park is very, very unlikely to be open by then.
Matthew. The park IS NOT opening next year and the Gerstlauer IS NOT going there. ☺️

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Matthew. The park IS NOT opening next year and the Gerstlauer IS NOT going there. ☺️
I was only suggesting that in the first place because someone else above suggested that this might be the home of the Gerstlauer.

Personally, I think this park, whatever it is, will end up opening towards the middle of the decade; maybe 2024 at the very earliest, probably closer to 2025/2026? I think the opening date will depend on the scale of the project.

I don’t think 2024 is unattainable, though; as an example, Legoland New York was announced in 2017, and had it not been for COVID and the New York guidelines on theme parks, the park would have opened in July 2020.

Last edited:

Jared

Hyper Poster
I don’t think 2024 is unattainable, though; as an example, Legoland New York was announced in 2017, and had it not been for COVID and the New York guidelines on theme parks, the park would have opened in July 2020.

There’s a bit of a difference here. Legoland is very much a cookie cutter type of project with most of the attractions existing in some form already. The rest, are usually projects that have been devised for other parks, but either haven’t happened yet, or are still in the works. Legoland has a fast turn around simply because most of the design work is done.

This Gerstlauer project is intriguing. Can’t wait to find out where it goes. I can’t see it being Cedar Point, as they’ve never worked with Gerst as far as I can tell, and seem to stick to the people they’ve worked with before.

DW / SDC is a good bet I’d say. They’ve worked with them before at DW and have recently done the retracting on Mystery Mine. Perhaps this could even be for Kentucky Kingdom? Although I can’t see how it would be a challenging project there.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
This Gerstlauer project is intriguing. Can’t wait to find out where it goes. I can’t see it being Cedar Point, as they’ve never worked with Gerst as far as I can tell, and seem to stick to the people they’ve worked with before.

DW / SDC is a good bet I’d say. They’ve worked with them before at DW and have recently done the retracting on Mystery Mine. Perhaps this could even be for Kentucky Kingdom? Although I can’t see how it would be a challenging project there.
They'd never worked with RMC before though, had they. Also, it's not down to who Cedar Point have worked with but with who Cedar Fair have worked with, and with them opening HangTime at Knott's in 2018 makes me think they could have been testing the waters for possible future contracts with Gerstlauer.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This could be interesting if it gets off the ground. But with any large park project I will believe it when ground breaking happens and even then I won't believe it much. There's been countless projects in the 20 plus years I've been following this industry that have sounded great and then never appeared.

As for the gerst I very much doubt its Cedar Point for one main reason. The big chains like CF and Seaworld are very unlikely to have allowed Gerst to post that in the first place. They tend to have NDA's baked into the contract and like to keep control of their own PR.

Although to be fair Seaworld don't need someone else to post about their projects, they are quite adept at leaking them themselves.

I reckon a lot of people will end up disappointed when this ends up being a relatively small ride somewhere like Morey's Piers with a fairly obscure novelty record.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
What do you mean?
A rather long age of this thread being periodically bumped, at first to tell that there will be news "very soon" and then maybe one day with concept art where the developers are looking for investors but have no location for the park yet, then some occasional bumpings with more concept art or vague press releases but nothing of substance, and then in 2030 we will have a laugh reminiscing of the days when we thought this would be open by 2024. Maybe there will be memes about this and London Resort being "twin parks" or something like that.

Matt N

CF Legend
Mega-projects like this (presumably) and the London Resort don’t spring up overnight, especially in the west (Eastern/Chinese projects often tend to be a lot quicker; I’m not entirely sure why, but they often do). They tend to encounter lots of hurdles due to the very nature of the project; they tend to attract a lot of opposition, and things often take a lot longer than originally anticipated. Many of the mega parks built lately have been delayed numerous times, and even if you go further back, many of the newer Disney and Universal properties have hardly been plain sailing (look at DLP, for instance).

Heck, even Thorpe Park encountered numerous bumps in the road delays to its opening, and that project certainly wasn’t a mega park. It was also built in the 1970s, when planning laws were likely somewhat more lenient than they are now.

Besides, this is merely a delay to the announcement. Maybe they’re just finalising a few things?

It is also worth noting that many of the people behind this are (apparently) not newbies to the theme park industry. Robert Niles said in the original post that the design firm working on it has worked for various theme parks across America.