What's new

New Shrek (yawn) attraction for Merlin County Hall

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
WTF? I don't understand why Merlin keep buying out of date IPs? First Angry Birds, now Shrek. It makes absolutely zero sense. That space is crying out for a tacky 'this is London' tourist experience. Basically what's at Tussauds, but where all the rest of their attractions are.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Why not do something people want to go to? I agree with people above, Shrek, Angry Birds, they were big, if not massive in their day. Universal got the Harry Potter stuff when Harry Potter was still big. Yes they are expanding now but Harry Potter is still going strong, Pottermore has millions of users, Rowling is still writing spin offs...it's still going. Ok, Rovio bring out new levels but people aren't really interested, as for Shrek, the last film came out in 2010, 4 years ago, a fifth was planned but eventually cancelled, it was good while it lasted but things need to move on. What with next year's 'Finding Dory' supposedly due for release, a 'Nemo' themed ride would be better right now in my opinion.

peep

CF Legend
Robbie said:
peep said:
So it's been announced that this new attraction is going to be a massive new Shrek themed attraction. It will be the first of NINE and also the start of a new relationship between merlin and Dreamworks.
Let's not get carried away in the excitement - this is the first of SIX, rolled out over nine years.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/merlin ... 201118264/

Oh I was anything but excited about this. Just got the two numbers mixed up that's all. Thanks for posting the link though.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Just wow. I really can't see this being a success. Does anyone even care about the Shrek franchise any more? Can't help but think that there must be other Dreamworks films that would have been more successful...
*cough* should have been How to Train your Dragon *cough*

Also, 6 worldwide Shrek attractions?! I think somebodies being a little overoptimistic on the potential success of the attraction there! I mean thats only 3 locations less than the Dungeons, and this certainly doesn't seem to have the potential the Dungeons has!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I remember Shrek being really popular when I was at primary school now though it can't be anywhere new as popular. A very random new attraction.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Jordanovichy said:
Why not do something people want to go to? I agree with people above, Shrek, Angry Birds, they were big, if not massive in their day. Universal got the Harry Potter stuff when Harry Potter was still big. Yes they are expanding now but Harry Potter is still going strong, Pottermore has millions of users, Rowling is still writing spin offs...it's still going. Ok, Rovio bring out new levels but people aren't really interested, as for Shrek, the last film came out in 2010, 4 years ago, a fifth was planned but eventually cancelled, it was good while it lasted but things need to move on. What with next year's 'Finding Dory' supposedly due for release, a 'Nemo' themed ride would be better right now in my opinion.
If there's a Nemo ride, I'm fairly sure Disney will do it ;)

But perhaps Merlin can rebrand Sea-Life as "The Shark Tale Experience"

marc

CF Legend
Really let down by this.

They had the chance to show off London history etc and they pick this.

What can you say really.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
It would be nice to have that sort of thing in its own right rather than just Spirit of London at Madame Tussauds, but this Shrek will just be awful.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
And there go my hopes for a LEGO Movie attraction.

Don't Merlin own the Lego Parks? and if there's one brand than can be turned to anything and tailored to each city its Lego.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I have a feeling the mirror maze will be low quality.

However, the simulator is made by Simworx and they're pretty fab.

LG95

Roller Poster
I am a bit tired of the IP craze Merlin have going at the moment. I am sure they bring in the crowds to some degree, but they just fail to interest me at all. I prefer creativity...

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Just read an article where DreamWorks CEO confirmed there will be a Shrek 5. I'll link it when I get on a computer.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
They've made four! Why can't they just let it lie. It was great but they don't need to overkill. This is frustrating. It's like Toy Story 3 was an excellent addition. A fourth would just be silly, there is no where else to go with it.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I remember Shrek 2 being awesome, really this attraction is about 7 (no idea when the film came out) years too late.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
DreamWorks Animation stock has fallen $4 a share this week. Investors not impressed generally.