What's new

New Shrek (yawn) attraction for Merlin County Hall

Lofty

CF Legend
Hi all,

Recently saw this article...
Merlin Entertainments has submitted a planning application to Lambeth Council to convert part of County Hall into a new visitor attraction.

The new venue would occupy some of the space until recently used by the London Film Museum which closed its South Bank branch just before Christmas.

The London Film Museum was opened in 2008 as the 'Movieum of London' by Jonathan Sands. It closed its doors at County Hall on 16 December, but the museum's Covent Garden site remains open.

Merlin already operates the London Eye and the Sea Life London Aquarium at County Hall, with the London Dungeon also moving into the building last year.

Has anybody any ideas?

The name and nature of the new attraction – which could open to the public in 2015 – have not been disclosed in the planning application documents for reasons of "commercial confidentiality".

However, a letter to Lambeth Council from Iain Rhind of planning agents Nathaniel Lichfield & Partners reveals that the proposed attraction "will be the first of its kind worldwide and will complement and enhance the existing attractions at County Hall".

Documents submitted with the planning application show that the new attraction is expected to draw 600,000-700,000 visitors a year, with a capacity of 400 visitors an hour based on groups of 40 visitors entering the tour every six minutes.

The tour will include 10 shows/rooms each lasting approximately six minutes, including a simulator ride in the Rotunda space.
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7323

A bit of research led to this planning application website:

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=MY49Z2BO67000

The interesting bits are "World's first attraction" and "The attraction is proposed to incorporate several interactive audio visual shows within the rooms, with a further 4d interactive ride proposed for the Rotunda area. An interactive cinema show is also proposed to end the visitor experience. In addition to interactive audio visual shows, there will also be an emphasis on actors and props to enhance the overall experience, similar to the London Dungeons attraction."

peep

CF Legend
Re: New Unknown Merlin attraction for County Hall

I'm quite excited about another new attraction in County Hall. Very intrigued as to what it'll be about.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Danzibarr

Mega Poster

Enjoyed reading those plans - interesting to see snippets of the Dungeon floor plan in there too - never realised how close the lift lobby scene was to the surgery scene!

I see they've managed to incorporate another mirror maze into the proposed attraction :roll:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

It's going to be blue screen room after blue screen room, then at the end, ten opportunities to buy photos of yourself in front of ten different photo locations of Merlin attractions around the world. Featuring Ice Age 4D at Alton Towers, Angry Birds 4D queue at Thorpe Park, Blackpool Tower bollocks, Sharkbait Reef and The Ghost of the Sea and many more of your favourite picsolves!!!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I'm guessing something to do with Dungeons. Something related to the issues Dungeons having in its new location, perhaps, and they're trying to rectify it. Like, maybe, the queue?

I dunno if that would be possible, but.

So, yah, basically, what Phil said really.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

furie said:
It's going to be blue screen room after blue screen room, then at the end, ten opportunities to buy photos of yourself in front of ten different photo locations of Merlin attractions around the world. Featuring Ice Age 4D at Alton Towers, Angry Birds 4D queue at Thorpe Park, Blackpool Tower bollocks, Sharkbait Reef and The Ghost of the Sea and many more of your favourite picsolves!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's either gonna be a Lego Discovery Centre or something completely new (from Merlin?!)...

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Nemesis Inferno said:
It's either gonna be a Lego Discovery Centre or something completely new (from Merlin?!)...

I wonder whether they would consider doing something new or whether that's too much of a risk. Would be nice to mix it up a bit and see a new brand, or even something completely individual!

nadroJ

CF Legend

I think Lego Discovery Centre, especially if Merlin's brilliant 2014 offerings are anything to go by.

Lofty

CF Legend

I actually think that's a clever business decision if it actually is to be "Shakespeare's England". I think it's genius for raking in the money.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I like it - it's vaguely educational and suits the London tourist market (although, from what they've done with Warwick Castle, I worry what incorrect facts people will go away with).

nadroJ

CF Legend

According to Theme Park Tourist the ride is some sort of 'bus' experience?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Sort of bus simulator with multiple screens (a la Vengeance, but without the crap parts)...

If it's Shakespeare stuff, then it's a big "SOD YOU" to the London Bridge Experience imo... Still, could be a decent addition if treated with a bit of respect... Could also be quite similar to the Historium thing in Bruges, only with actors instead...

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Do you know about the feud between Merlin and LBE and LT? It's actually rather humorous.

peep

CF Legend

So it's been announced that this new attraction is going to be a massive new Shrek themed attraction. It will be the first of NINE and also the start of a new relationship between merlin and Dreamworks.

Dreamworks have written a brand new story for the attraction and there will be character meet and greets with not only Shrek characters but also with other Dreamworks characters like those from Madagascar and others.

They aim for a mid 2015 opening.

Source is Variety magazine but my phone hates links.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

nadroJ

CF Legend

Urrgghhhhhhhh how vulgar <//3

Also, is Shrek not dead by now, no? So gross and out of date for whyyyyyyyyyyyy?