What's new

New Roller Coaster Concepts

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
For the wingriders...

Still, just some of my ideas.

I was thinking that it would be easy for S&S to make a wingrider because they've already got the 4D.

By compact, I mean 2 seats in a row instead of 4, still a bit pointless though...

I think that a launched flyer would probably end up with a layout similar to Manta (the one under construction) which is fairly small.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ben said:
^^Loss of blood from the head? Surely in terms of that it'd be the same as the S&S Towers, since the force is moving towards the feet in both ideas? And there's a couple of them around.

Or, indeed, any ride with positives pushes blood away from the head...
True, but the booster towers don't accelerate you for as long as a launch coaster does. Or not any shot tower/launched coaster I've been on. But yeah, you're right.

A

Anonymous

Based on the data I have on various shot towers, then they easily pull around 3-4 g's for about a second during the shot, on the other hand they pull a bit less for over 2 seconds while "bouncing". Same thing goes with Intamin drop towers which easily pull 3.5-4 g's for 1.5 seconds during the braking (which is the force you would experience when launching in a "flying" position). Comparing those facts to various launch coasters then they pull a lot more then your average launch coaster.
Also, you experience the exact same force on every pull-up/helix on any sit down coaster as you would on a launched flyer, and they easily pull a lot more than any launch coaster out there (even more than the mighty Dodonpa), so your concerns are not valid...

To put it short:
Positive vertical force on a sit down coaster = Launch force on a flying coaster

CoasterCrazy said:
-Junior wingrider
Haven't S&S already done something similar with the Free Fly?? (Tranan - RCDB)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Well there we go. Backed up by facts I retract my statement. :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Plus, Superman never had a problem and he flies pretty damn fast like that ;)

Idlewild

Mega Poster
loefet said:
CoasterCrazy said:
-Junior wingrider
Haven't S&S already done something similar with the Free Fly?? (Tranan - RCDB)
They both have riders cantilevered out off the track but that is where the similarities end. The free fly is closer to the suspended roller coaster than the wing rider.
Hixee said:
I think a launched flyer would raise far too many issues with blood loss from the head. ;)

The body is most adapted to G forces in that direction. Its the other diections that you have to worry about.

Idlewild

Mega Poster
Titan said:
A few years ago I can across these old ride patents. The space rings on track thing has been thought of before. My guess is it never happened for some practicality reasons. A coaster car like that would have to be very very heavy. That could create stress fractures in the car, the track, or the coaster wouldnt be able to do much. I think the original 4D is a testament to some of the issues created by heavy cars.

I just found an article on this,

http://amusementauthority.blogspot.com/2011/10/s-worldwides-new-thrill-ride.html

They seem to think this is still in development.

coastergeek14

Roller Poster
what about a hybrid- for example, a eurofighter but a section where a segment of track is attached to a robotic arm- this could create a completely new experience. Just think HP and the forbidden journey, but with a complete coaster with it too :)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
This one will never happen but what about on any coaster with a bit of track submerged in water so a proper splash is made, not the fake water jets used normally.

It's kind of like a water coaster I know, but i was thinking for of a proper coaster. One that's not a water ride with coaster bits added on. Instead a proper coaster with the water bit added on.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Been done.

Buzzsaw Falls before it was changed to Powder Keg:

1fvkbg6jl5820go7ds0011.jpg

Vonkaputous:

9g0tio0046pe0qekl0eu60.jpg

I'm convinced that Atlantis Adventure is designed for a splashdown:

dijfpgcrg0023en0d7aaoo.jpg

Pretty sure there are others as well.

Dar

Hyper Poster
To continue the wingrider absurdity, I think a stand-up wingrider would be rather cool. I've never done a stand-up coaster so I'm intrigued as to what it feels like to take elements in the standing position, and I think that a wingrider could only enhance those feelings!! :)

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
^Agreed they are not that special and take way too long to load. Too many restraints and you lose that roller coaster feeling. What about a wooden coaster that turns backwards?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
They've got them on RCT2 and 3. Is that where you got the idea from? I would also love to see them though.

Some other ideas: Stand up floorless and inverted stand-up.

Josh73

Giga Poster
Stand up floorless would be a ball killer. But a stand up inverter would be awesome, but the trains would be kinda heavy I would think.

scw55

Hyper Poster
This is a variation of the Tilt-Drop design. Basically, instead of tilting forwards, it tilts backwards instead:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21289101@N04/6797844038

Another would be variations of Boomerang designs with various cars -> Dive machine/Flying etc.

Would an Inverted Wooden coaster work?

Thirteen potentially could include gimicks of different types of tracks 'free falling'. A Vertical loop that freefalls whilst a train goes around it would be thrilling, but potentially lethal if the system breaks.

If high speed was possible, could there be inverted swinging coasters?