What's new

New ride for PortAventura in 2011?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
In 2010 the park will be celebrating its 15th anniversary, and there are some rumours pointing to a big new ride. A member from a Spanish forum has posted some projects that are now in the final stage. From these three projects only one will make it to the park.

- A Vekoma Motorbike coaster for Mexico. It would be themed to a predator living in the Mayan rainforest. Pretty meh, if you ask me, every GP will constantly be comparing it to FB. Considering how awful the capacity for those IS (just look at Velocity or Booster Bike) I can't see this happening. Plus, I don't think they can fit another coaster in Mexico.

- A water dark ride in China. Basically your regular water dark ride with a drop, some fancy 3D effects and animatronics along the ride and a good story. The park really needs a big crowd-eater that catters to families and teens alike and this would be the best option to do it. Personally, I am not a big fan of dark rides so...

- A really compact B&M for Polynesia. It would be great to celebrate the 15th anniversay in the same way that we celebrated the park's opening: with a quality coaster. I could see that one happening and being heavily themed to some polynesian bird if it was to be a flying coaster or to any lost tribe if it was to be a DM. No model has been suggested so I really don't know what could it be... I am just especulating.

So, what would you like to see there in 2010?
What's the best move for the park?

marc

CF Legend
I think they will go for either a Flyer or an inverted coaster, simply do to the fact they dont have either.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
I reckon a flyer would work quite well in the Polynesia area with it flying around the trees and swooping over the lake where the pirate ship is. I'm thinking the colours would be green or something.

Ben

CF Legend
Oh, Oriol, you and this bloody PA Flyer... *eye roll*

I'd cry if they got a Flyer. Seriously, break down. If they want quality, stay away from Flyers, thank-you (and yes, I don't care how amazing Manta isn't going to be... Flyers suck).

DM would be absolutely perfect, and something I could really see. Would be quite similar to Sheikra in my mind - good thing.

BUT, I'd personally back a dark ride. The place NEEDS one. Somewhere that themed to only have crappy Sea Odyssey is a crime. Though I'm not sure China nor a water ride would be my first choice for it (I imagine a Indy-wanabee-rip-off-with-Spiderman-technology in Mexico), it would be cool.

Booster Bike? No. Lol. Won't happen. If it did, it would right up there for stupidy with calling a ride Saw. Oh, crap... wait a second...

Though, the way I see PA going... I wouldn't be surprised if the year passed with neither a coaster nor a decent ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Booster Bike? As stated earlier, why?
- Awful capacity
- Similiar layout to Furius Baco (minus inversions)
- Drains power
- Meh.

Dark ride? Could be anything. Well, Spain is hot, so I hope for a water ride (or a really good aircondition system). However, any ride has potential if you theme it enough, and dark rides can easily reach the "awesome" level (people don't see much due to lack of light, and presume that it's really good).

B&M? Bring 'em on. They have a wide range of products, but I think we can rule out Stand-up, Sit-down and Floorless. Perhaps DM too, depending on space and height restrictions (They have Hurakan Condor, but I don't know a lot of Spanish Law). The same criteria goes for Hypers. Flyers are cool, but rare. Inverts, however... I can imagine one to be built, but I have nothing to back it up with.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Pokemaniac said:
B&M? Bring 'em on. They have a wide range of products, but I think we can rule out Stand-up, Sit-down and Floorless. Perhaps DM too, depending on space and height restrictions (They have Hurakan Condor, but I don't know a lot of Spanish Law). The same criteria goes for Hypers. Flyers are cool, but rare. Inverts, however... I can imagine one to be built, but I have nothing to back it up with.

Height restriction is not a problem in Spain. I mean, the park could built as high as they wanted but it's the idea of preserving the iconic presence of Dragon Khan over anything else at the park that keeps the from building any coaster taller than Khan.
So, I would rule out a hyper (mainly because they don't have compact layouts). On the contrary, I would not rule out a DM, since they don't take that much room to build and, since you can bury the drop underground (much like Oblivion), you could have a DM with a 200+ feet drop (100 feet which would be outside).

I really hope PA gets another B&M.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Shockwave said:
I wanna see a Boosterbike in the Mexico area themed to crossing the US border. :lol:

LOL!

I would to see a B&M Invert there, The park possibly has the world's best looper, Why not have a fantastic invert too?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Shockwave said:
I wanna see a Boosterbike in the Mexico area themed to crossing the US border. :lol:

That would be an obstacle course instead. With live actors.

And whatever they build there in '10, I want to go there and see it myself.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Booster Bike? I hope not lol.

I'd like to see a well themed B&M Invert, would fit well into an already fantastic park.

kimahri

CF Legend
Re: New ride for PortAventura in 2010?

oriolat2 said:
- A Vekoma Motorbike coaster for Mexico. It would be themed to a predator living in the Mayan rainforest. Pretty meh, if you ask me, every GP will constantly be comparing it to FB. Considering how awful the capacity for those IS (just look at Velocity or Booster Bike) I can't see this happening. Plus, I don't think they can fit another coaster in Mexico.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! >:C

I hate booster bikes. They hurt :(

Kebab

Giga Poster
Bets on Inverted coaster; possibly on the scale of Black Mamba. I predicted this in a discussion a while back about an inverted coaster by Kon Tiki wave will be perfect.

I can expect it around that area; with a section of the track meandering across the lake section.

marc

CF Legend
They could shock us all and get a Eurofighter :) I wish I was joking but it could be a possibilty.

2 years ago I said Thorpe would get one and everyone said no way, so I could be right again.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Yeah but PA wouldn't be tight with the budget, they would go for a Dive Machine if they wanted a vertical drop.

I really hope they get a B&M invert. The way that they would theme it, I know that it would be awesome, Black Mamba like.

I don't think it will happen though, they probably won't get anything.

Lofty

CF Legend
I have said since I visited the park the first time that they are in need of a good dark ride, lets just hope it happens! The only thing is, in China? I don't exactly think thats a good bet, although I do think they need a new ride in that area, I don't think a dark ride would actualy sit well there!

I'm just hoping for that expansion of another land behind polynesia thats meant to be themed to the amazon, if this happens, I would actualy think that they will place a really good coaster in there! If the plans for the new land have fell thorugh, well Polynesia is the best bet for getting a new coaster, a DM would work so fantastically well in that area! Or maybe even a compact Invert with great theming, just like Black Mamba or something?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
According to jonylopez50 from CAPTE.org (Spanish Coaster Club), the management from PA were recently invited to try out Mistery Mine by Gerstlauer.

Of course, this doesn't mean PA will be getting a Eurofigher for sure, but it's on the cards... :roll:

Let the speculation begin...

marc

CF Legend
Funny they tried that and not Saw, says it all really :)

I think its a mistake to get one, they should get an inverted coaster.

And they should get a big flat ride.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Because of the global economic recession the whole plan has been pushed back at least a year.

So, the slides were planned to open on 09 yet they'll be added on 2010.
Same goes for this coaster, it should be for 2010 but it will be announced for 2011.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Cool, well I'm more looking forward to the slide as Furius Baco is still fairly new anyways. We still getting the vertical slide through the volcano?