What's new

New look for RCDB

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
RCDB has rolled out a new look. What do you think about it? What about the functionality? Better or worse?

rcdb.jpg

http://www.rcdb.com

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I saw it earlier and thought it looked good. I really like the new design as it has refreshed the page (if you'll pardon the pun). The old look was more standard/boring than the new one.

davidm

Strata Poster
I think its pretty OK - pictures are easier / quicker to skip through and the content is as-is.

The beauty of RCDB is that its all "content" over flashiness, and (small) evolutions like this are just fine.

(keep up the good work Duane&Co!)

TilenB

Strata Poster
Weird. It still looks the same on my browser. Does it have something to do with me accessing it on my iPad, or it just wasn't released everywhere yet?

therick311

Mega Poster
I stumbled onto it this morning. At first I thought I was mistakenly redirected to their new mobile site. The funny part is that I just tried to pull it up on my phone and I got the old site.

davidm

Strata Poster
The old site/new site thing will be related to your browser and "bling level"

Attachments

• rcdb.jpg
    rcdb.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 204

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I noticed it earlier and liked the crispness of it. Mmmm, crisps. The only thing I don't like is the "Parks nearby list" is fiddly to use compared to the previous version.

Lottie.

Mega Poster
I wasn't expecting the change when going on the site today, but I like it. Nice and fresh look for the site. :)

lachlan

Mega Poster
Still getting used to it. I can say for sure that the photo viewer is great, though. It does look a bit like a mobile skin blown up to desktop size however (I'm sure it's perfect on tablet). And it doesn't even work on my mobile :cry: .

All the content is still there though - so I'm fine :--D

Hutch

Strata Poster
I don't go on RCDB as often as others, so I don't really care for the change. Doesn't look any worse than the old one.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
As for those who aren't getting the change: If your browser doesn't support HTML 5, you won't see the changes. The site may also be giving mobile devices the old site while work progresses on the mobile specific site.

Although he finally accepted some help with things like uploading pictures and Lat/Long coordinates, he still does all the programming himself outside of his day job. (Programming CNC machines)

...and for those who don't like? He's always said that people are more than welcome to make their own site.
;)

Edward M

Strata Poster
TilySlo said:
Weird. It still looks the same on my browser. Does it have something to do with me accessing it on my iPad, or it just wasn't released everywhere yet?
I had the same problem on my iPad

From the picture, it looks ok. I prefer the old look.

Gazza

Giga Poster
One issue that comes up for me is that because the pics now come up as a pop up there is no way to give a link to the page of a specific image.

Sometimes you might link to a specific RCDB pic because you want to point out a particular feature of a ride, but there is seemingly no way of doing that.

Mike

Giga Poster
I think I preferred the separate tab for coaster pictures, rather than them popping up on a ride's information page.

Other than that, despite now having to click a few more times to get to certain pages, the change isn't too drastic.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Gazza said:
One issue that comes up for me is that because the pics now come up as a pop up there is no way to give a link to the page of a specific image.

Sometimes you might link to a specific RCDB pic because you want to point out a particular feature of a ride, but there is seemingly no way of doing that.
Yeah, that's a problem. You have to revert back to the old version (Preferences - HTML 4 / CSS 2 in the Bling level drop-down box) to be able to get the link to a photo.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Urgh it confuses me SO much, how do I get like, the lists of coasters in a certain country and stuff like that?