What's new

New Disney Patent

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I suppose it all depends what they do with it, but it's not particularly exciting me at the moment. Then again, technical drawings never do. Plus, they patent **** loads of stuff that never sees the light of day.

That's not to say it's not interesting, but it will be a very, very long time before we see this turning into an actual ride, if at all.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Be worth a ride I suppose, too bad I hate anything and everything Disney with a fiery passion.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
So it's Midway Mania on a rotating axis and no true forward motion?

Sounds kind of boring, since I think MM is one of the worst Disney rides ever.

Lofty

CF Legend
How do you work that out?

Midway Mania is a shooting ride on a flat flooring system, you are directed at screens to shoot various items at, then move on to the next area...

This can spin on two axis', is in a wind tunnel, will more than likely have a quick speed change (if the interaction rumours are true...). What you've said is just like saying, "It's just like any other shooting dark ride"...

The thing that doesn't really make sense in my eyes is that if the 'gondolas' shoot the one infront, how is the gondola at the very front going to interact? I can't quite get my head around it a the moment. As Gavin says though, Disney produce probably hundreds of patents every year, probably only about 1/2 of these will come into fruition in the future.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
When I first saw this, I thought it looked like it would be a similar concept as Spaceship Earth or Haunted Mansion. If it were that, then there would be no front or back, and there would always be another vehicle to shoot at. However, the drawings only show a straight tunnel and don't seem to indicate forward movement or any travel at all really. Furthermore, a video screen surrounds the ride and gives the illusion of motion, then there's not much need to actually move and my idea is still wrong.

That seems like it would be a challenge to actually work out as far as the motion of the arms. The ride vehicle plus the weight of a few passengers plus the length from the axis make for a rather large moment. The motors that control the rotation will need to have a lot of torque to do that.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Lofty said:
How do you work that out?

Midway Mania is a shooting ride on a flat flooring system, you are directed at screens to shoot various items at, then move on to the next area...

This can spin on two axis', is in a wind tunnel, will more than likely have a quick speed change (if the interaction rumours are true...). What you've said is just like saying, "It's just like any other shooting dark ride"...

The thing that doesn't really make sense in my eyes is that if the 'gondolas' shoot the one infront, how is the gondola at the very front going to interact? I can't quite get my head around it a the moment. As Gavin says though, Disney produce probably hundreds of patents every year, probably only about 1/2 of these will come into fruition in the future.

Um, Midway Mania is a video game. The motion is pointless, there is no story, and I honestly don't think Walt would have ever signed off on it. The game does distract from how bad the ride itself is, but I still don't like it.

This new concept has no forward motion, but they do both spin, they both have a shooting function that serves to distract from the lame ride.

(IMO)

marc

CF Legend
I actually liked the ride, prefer it to a lot of other shooting rides where I get bored after about 2 rooms.

Lofty

CF Legend
rollermonkey said:
This new concept has no forward motion, but they do both spin, they both have a shooting function that serves to distract from the lame ride.
That's a completely flawed concept. So, you're saying, to be a good ride, it has to have a forward motion? Madhouse's, simulators, TopSpin's, I can go on...

BUT, the shooting DOESN'T try and distract from the lame ride at all, the whole concept of the ride is the shooting function. I know you're only saying your opinion, but I suggest that next time, take a little time to think before postung utter **** ;)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Sorry, but I've thought about it for quite a while since I first rode one, so before you go tossing insults around, maybe you should ask first?

I was using comparison and contrast. I wasn't disparaging rides that have no forward motion. Stop reading things I haven't written.

The ride mechanism for MM is weak. It's Pooh's Hunny Hunt (US versions) or Cat in The Hat, but with absolutely no story.

Oh, but it's got a shooting game!
So what. I owned Duck Hunt in 1984. I'm not impressed by the shooting aspect as the sole focus of the experience. The queue lines for the MM rides are themed better than the ride itself. At least Buzz Lightyear has objects that move and a weak plot. Midway Mania is a bunch of projection screens and the cars aren't even moving when the game screens are active, and anyone can play a stationary shooting game at home or at an arcade for a quarter or two.

A lot of people like it, the lines are proof of that. I think reality TV is garbage, but other people like that stuff, too. It's my opinion that Toy Story Midway Mania is a lesser quality attraction, I've explained how i reached that opinion, but I'm not saying you or anyone has to agree with it.

I think this is more of the same. If it ever gets built, I'll still give it a chance. If it's executed better than TSMM, awesome. Otherwise? Meh.

Thaaaanks.

Lofty

CF Legend
That's all well and good, but a few things;

I never threw an insult at you.

What constitutes a strong ride mechanism for a dark ride for you? Does it have to have a fully rotational, more than one moving axis to make it a 'good ride'?

It's all subjective to opinion and what you like and don't like. All I was doing was picking on certain things that you'd said that don't ring true or make sense, that's all. I was merely trying to point out that the reason these types of rides have the shooting function isn't due to it distracting from a 'bad ride type', it's actually there to enhance guest experience and interactivity.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Just gonna throw out the fact that the shooting game itself is fun and more importantly its rather deep. Plenty of hidden combos and things you can only get by cooperation. The rest of TSMM is rather ****.

Back to the patent:

I'm having a hard time coming up with and existing property this could be used with.

I was thinking maybe a jet fighter attraction but again something like the simulator that houses star tours seems better for that...

Anyone have any ideas?

peep

CF Legend
I'll just leave this here...

planes-movie.jpg

spicy

Giga Poster
I'm just looking forward to Disney Trains. Or Disney Boats. Or maybe Disney Bikes.

Still at least that ride system looks pretty cool if it ever gets built.