What's new

New coaster opens at Tokyo Dome City

Offical_Pitchnoir

Roller Poster
According to the website, they are adding a new Gerstlauer Family Shuttle coaster called Panic Coaster - Back Daaan ( パニックコースターバックダーン) It is going in the Geopolis section of the park, where Geopanic once operated. It is a great addition after the loss of Linear Gale and Spinning Coaster Maihime. Panic Coaster - Back Daaan will be the park first new coaster since 2003, and will feature special effect as riders traverse the ride layout twice, first forward, and second in reverse.
SOURCE
thumb_backdaaan.jpg

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
We have been talking about this in the New Rides @ Small Parks Thread, but I won't be the one to determine whether this is worthy of a thread or not.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Turns out this is not a normal shuttle ride at all.
A friend of mine rode this yesterday and described it like this
The ride is launched forwards from the station and enters a layout which includes a 2nd boost section. While the ride is out on track a switch track flips and changes the station entrance so the train now enters the station the other way round. The train then launches out of the station backwards and does the whole thing in reverse while the switch flips again allowing the train to return into the station in the original orientation.

Heres a kind of simplified drawing to give an idea.
54236919_372915546629172_3155534655877283840_n.png

TilenB

Strata Poster
Turns out this is not a normal shuttle ride at all.
A friend of mine rode this yesterday and described it like this
The ride is launched forwards from the station and enters a layout which includes a 2nd boost section. While the ride is out on track a switch track flips and changes the station entrance so the train now enters the station the other way round. The train then launches out of the station backwards and does the whole thing in reverse while the switch flips again allowing the train to return into the station in the original orientation.

Heres a kind of simplified drawing to give an idea.
View attachment 4774
So technically a shuttle coaster where the switch track eliminates the need for a reverse spike? I guess this is the most similar to Revenge of the Mummy rides (at least the one in Hollywood, haven't done any of the others) that people on here might be more familiar with? :)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Is it definitely a Gerstlauer?

It sounds like a really cool ride! Would be nice to know some stats.

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
I think it's safe to say it is Gerstlauer based on the trains and track in the pictures.

Ethan

Strata Poster
The best part is 2:05 in, the way the music and lights just cut out is so awkward I live for it.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Assume this was built in the closed off ex-darkride area we stumbled on last year.
Sounds fun. Guessed it would be pretty much the same as the other shuttle layouts, so it's nice to see things mixed up a bit.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I wouldn't say this is a shuttle coaster though. It's more like a small version of Firechaser Express/Pégase Express, although there isn't really another like it.

Matt N

CF Legend
This coaster looks quite random in a lovable sort of way! Should be a great fit for the park and should provide a much needed starter coaster for those who can't quite handle Thunder Dolphin!

I also like that this is somewhat different to Gerstlauer's other family shuttle coasters.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Can this possibly run 2 trains? If the train launches forwards, a train half way round the ride cycle can enter the station. That will then launch backwards, allowing the other train to enter the station to load/unload, providing there is a block section before the station. It also looks like there is a roller shutter behind the station track for the maintenance bay.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^Agreed.

I'm going to wait until Gerstlauer bothers to add this coaster to their site, to know the exact specifications.

Lofty

CF Legend
Can this possibly run 2 trains? If the train launches forwards, a train half way round the ride cycle can enter the station. That will then launch backwards, allowing the other train to enter the station to load/unload, providing there is a block section before the station. It also looks like there is a roller shutter behind the station track for the maintenance bay.
I don't think so, it just wouldn't really be feasible, or needed.

This is such a bizarre coaster, a lot longer than I expected it to be, too.

davidm

Strata Poster
2 trains on a shuttle coaster is definitely the future. :(

(EDIT : Lol - Pulsar/Mr Freeze etc aside of course! d'oh)

Last edited: