What's new

New attractions planned for Weston Pier

Emmett

Giga Poster
New video footage of a state-of-the-art robotic ride planned for Weston Grand Pier has been unveiled.

It is one of a handful of futuristic thrill rides planned for the new Weston Pier pavillion, which was approved by North Somerset Council last week.

Other rides set to take visitors by storm include a giant surfboard ride, and a new dragster ride, which simulates speeds of 300mph.

Both these will be built above the pier walkway transporting visitors from the shoreline to the pavilion and back in style.

The surfboard will see people stand up and move along on two moving waves while visitors sit inside the dragster and strap themselves in.

On top of all this there will be a three-storey helter skelter ride in one of the four pavilion corner towers and a new go kart race track.

An 85-metre observation tower will also be built at the rear of the pavilion offering panoramic views across Weston bay.

Now planning consent has been gained Kerry Michael and his sister Michelle are busy negotiating in order to put the scheme out to tender.

They hope the main contractor will be appointed in June ready for construction work on the new pavilion to start in August.

Several ideas have been proposed for the actual construction because of the difficulty in building a quarter of a mile out to sea.

These include using a bridge, a causeway and cranes.

The goal is to achieve an opening in time for Weston Pier of May Bank Holiday in 2010 as the summer season gets underway.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/home...eston-Pier/article-783497-detail/article.html

Inverse

Hyper Poster
More like a Roboflat than a Robocoaster, then. Looks like Weston might be a place to go in a couple of years then.

My concern with this type of ride is the extreme lack of capacity. Two people at a time? Maybe they could expand it to four, but queues would be very long indeed.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
How does something "simulate" speeds of 300mph?

I smell lameness.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^With a simulator perhaps? ;)

I'll quit with the Captain Obvious stuff now...

Looks like it might be worth a visit if it gets off the ground.

Erol, Universal might have the rights to the coaster bit of Robocoaster (the arms on the track), but they don't have the rights to the arms alone, cos a few of the Legolands have had them for a while.

Swat

Mega Poster
When it starts to be built, I will keep you all updated. My college over looks the pier so I can see it most days. At the moment They are rebuilding the floor and what looks the be checking the structure down the main walkway.

gavin said:
How does something "simulate" speeds of 300mph?

I smell lameness.

I would say some sort of fans along with small movements. :roll:

Lofty

CF Legend
So basically they've just bought a Kuka Robo Arm?

I dont see why people confuse these with Robo-Coasters... There isn't any track?!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I bet 10 øre* that this will be the next Southend Swine. All talk, no action. 85 meter observation tower? In Britain, it will take you to the day after doomsday to get permission for that.

And gavin, they could have a satelite simulator. Even though they look like they're bubbling about near the speed of naught, they actually go pretty fast. At least 300 mph.

*10 øre = 1 penny, or two cent.

Swat

Mega Poster
Pokemaniac said:
I bet 10 øre* that this will be the next Southend Swine. All talk, no action. 85 meter observation tower? In Britain, it will take you to the day after doomsday to get permission for that.

And gavin, they could have a satelite simulator. Even though they look like they're bubbling about near the speed of naught, they actually go pretty fast. At least 300 mph.

Planning permission granted.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Swat said:
Pokemaniac said:

Planning permission granted.
But the last-second objections from neighbours, forcing the court case to extend a further two months, eventually becoming too costy, putting the project on hold for about 15 years, before they put apartments there instead? :lol:

Nah, you win a penny.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Shockwave said:
^With a simulator perhaps? ;)

I'll quit with the Captain Obvious stuff now...

Looks like it might be worth a visit if it gets off the ground.

Erol, Universal might have the rights to the coaster bit of Robocoaster (the arms on the track), but they don't have the rights to the arms alone, cos a few of the Legolands have had them for a while.

Please... Not THIS again :lol:

Kuka produced the arms. Kuka have a deal with Universal on exclusivity of distribution of new Robot Arms.

There is a company in Warwick called "Robocoaster"

-lofty- said:
So basically they've just bought a Kuka Robo Arm?

I dont see why people confuse these with Robo-Coasters... There isn't any track?!

This is why there is confusion. Robocoaster the company produce a robot arm ride system called Robocoaster. They use Kuka robot arms. There are three different models of Robocoaster - the simplest being the arms that spin on a program like Legoland's.

The top range Robocoaster is the tracked robot arm ride. All are called Robocoaster though. Are we clear on this? Any robot arm ride is called a Robocoaster, whether it's tracked or not.

Onto the Universal deal.

Kuka can only sell their arms to amusement parks (even through Robocoaster) under permission from Universal - this is the best I can find, as there isn't any open information on the exclusivity deal, but the deal absolutely DOES exist.

However, there's one simple caveat! Second hand rides can still be sold, and resold through Robocoaster.

So there are two ways you can get a Robocoaster - Ask permission, or get one reconditioned. What you can't do is simply call and order one, you have to jump through a few hoops first. :)

marc

CF Legend
Also Legoland got theirs before the deal with Universal was signed :)

Furie is correct trust me I have asked so many questions and spent a long time on the phone, its a very complicated deal and the way all the companies work.