What's new

Nerves?

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Just wondering how nervous you get when riding something new?

It could be a new coaster,or flat ride.

Something you've never done before.

Do you think,hell yeah,bring it on.Or do you think,where's the exit.

Can you stand in the queue like Johnny cool,or do you stand there biting your nails?

When you're with friends,do you put on a brave face,but inside you're crapping it?

Basically,can you ride anything without thinking about it,or do the nerves start kicking in?

marc

CF Legend
When I was queuing up for Shiekra I was a wreck that even a 70 year woman was laughing at, she was telling us where to sit etc was funny they even waited for us to get off the ride to see what we thought etc. That is the worst I have been queuing for a ride ever,

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
kimahri said:
Yes, Makes it better.

End.

To a point,yes I agree.

But go beyond that point,and then it can take the fun out of the ride.

I've been on rides where I'm a nervous wreck,for some reason I'm a major pussy,even on coasters I've ridden before.

But it really depends on the type of ride,for an example....Dragon Khan,I was really excited,no matter what was thrown at me,I couldn't care less.

But the very first time, I rode Saw,I was crapping it,the second time I rode Saw,I still was crapping it.

In fact,on some coasters,I find the second time harder to cope with because I know what's happening,hope that makes sense.

And lol at marc.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Never has a case of nerves, but then I'm just glad there was no queue for the rides on the Stratosphere tower in Las Vegas. :wink:

marc

CF Legend
^I would need no queue to do them.

The other time I was bad was when I done my bungy jump, but so pleased I done it.

Jools

Giga Poster
Not usually unless it's launched, because I find the feeling of being launched uncomfortable, but now I take Stealth and Rita without a worry, because their launches seem weaker then they first did, but for soemthing like Kingda Ka which I should be riding this year, I shall be crapping myself haha.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Jools said:
Not usually unless it's launched, because I find the feeling of being launched uncomfortable,

Now I'm with you on that,I hate launches.

It reminds me of my very first time on Stealth.

I was so determined to do it,but once the restraints were down,I started looking for the ride op to let me off. :lol:

Depends, if it's something huge like a drop tower or a launched coaster like Ka or even I-305 which I expect I'll be nervous for, then yes. But if it's a small flat or an average sized coaster, then no.

RCF

Strata Poster
Mostly if it's really really big like Ka, then yes I will get kinda nervous, but that somehow makes it better.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes I do.

It's not as bad anymore, but it still does happen with some rides. I think it's great, coasters will loose some of their appeal when they cease to be 'scary'. I think it's a test of personal strength to be able to fight the fear.

I'm not going to lie, the thought of TTD, El Toro and Millennium Force scare the **** out of me, but I can't wait to ride them.

Ollie

CF Legend
Not really. Sometimes I get slightly nervous when I don't know what to expect, but that's always mixed with excitement and the thrill of not know what's coming next.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Since actually becoming an enthusiast, only one ride has made me nervous, and that was Top Thrill Dragster...

The general atmosphere and noise puts our Accelerators to shame...

thx

Mega Poster
Last time I was nervous for a ride was for Hurakan Condor 2.5 years ago. I will be nervous if/when I'll ride like TTD/Kingda Ka or Millenium Force or so, hmm.. yeah if it's really tall and steep yes, but that's about it really.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
As long as it doesn't put you off the ride, nerves are half of the enjoyment. After I became an enthusiast, the first ride I recall being majorly scared about was stealth. I got so scared that my first visit, I didn't ride it. Then my second visit I got a friend to help me but I was practically in tears before I rode it. Then afterwards I was completely ecstatic... Other rides I've been nervous on are samurai, oblivion, and (almost every time I ride it) apocalypse. And saw.

It's so much better when you exit the ride with a sense of accomplishment or even if you don't, being scared beforehand makes it more fun than what I've been doing at thorpe recently: just sort of going through the motions, rides like N:I are becoming really boring now.

But then you invite friends to the park. And that's great because then you get to scare the **** outta them as well.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Last time I was nervous was my first time on Stealth Front Row 2 years ago.

I generally don't get nervous for any rides. I keep a cool head cool)

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Stealth and Oblivion did it for me for the first time. Strangly nothing at Cedar Point shat me up other than Demon Drop. I dunno what it was about that thing.

Nothing really gets me now, other than drop towers.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
I used to be petrified of drop towers until I rode Hurakan Condor which basically made me love drop towers afterwards and I'm never really nervous about riding them anymore.

Rush

Giga Poster
I do get nervous on some rides, particularly launches. Despite me not really liking Stealth that much, I still get butterflies queueing up for it. Same applies to drop towers. I know I am 100% going to be ****ting myself queueing up for Dragster, Ka or Hurakan Condor.

Strangely enough, one ride I was rather scared about was Kraken. Mainly for the reason it was my first really big coaster. Afterall, the largest coaster I'd ridden before then was Colossus. I was fine queueing for Hulk two days later however.

Another one which got me was Oblivion, but I only felt that at the holding brake. The three or four seconds we were on that break felt like ten but I was fine afterwards. Two years later and 150ft higher, I didn't feel nervous at all on Griffon but I reckon that was replaced by excitement and relief. (It had been closed for most of the day on my visit.)

I may not be so nervous queueing for coasters anymore but I don't think that necessarily takes the enjoyment out of it, I think excitement for a coaster makes the ride just as good as being nervous for it.