What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Martyn B

CF Legend
I don't think the queue hit anything over 10 minutes all day

It was pretty much over an hour all day on Saturday!

I agree with pretty much all of your points furie, especially the umbrella. I was actually confused at that point as to why it was raining on me. They shold have done it as short squirts when the monster growls, to actually make half feel like its his slobber.

Sort out the effects in the lifts, spend an extra minute in the actual ride area, and some extra time in the exit lift (I dunno, have all the lights go off for a bit, go quiet, people getting scared from being in the dark in a lift, then bang, more monster action on the lift...)

I also found it odd boarding a drop tower at the top...

Gazza

Giga Poster
We all knew it was never going to be anything special ride wise but we were promised the world with theme and ride experience. Is that what's disappointing? Or where you sucked in by the Merlin hype machine, only to be spat out disappointed?
But the point is, why is a park like Alton putting in rides like this in the first place?

Lofty

CF Legend
Gazza said:
We all knew it was never going to be anything special ride wise but we were promised the world with theme and ride experience. Is that what's disappointing? Or where you sucked in by the Merlin hype machine, only to be spat out disappointed?
But the point is, why is a park like Alton putting in rides like this in the first place?
Absolutely no idea, it's what I want to know too. I'm not complaining that they've got another ride to add to their line-up, it's just a bit of a shame that it's this. But still, I'm not complaining, I'm still gonna ride it.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Waffleman made a good point on the page. Merlin are raking it in big time, yet they're investing as little as possible in their attractions.

Alton Towers is still an amazing place, but Merlin are trying to change that....

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
£4 million is a decent investment though. If they'd upped it to £5 million they could have actually had a small gem on their hands. They just needed to go that extra step.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Waffleman made a good point on the page. Merlin are raking it in big time, yet they're investing as little as possible in their attractions.
I dunno. My girlfriend has seen all the promos for Alton (and Merlin attractions in general) and asked me if they were in trouble. Seems there's line to be crossed where getting the word out reaches desperation levels.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Don't think this has been posted yet..

Shows a few clips of the ride..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff1lmbS_xng[/youtube]

T0M

Hyper Poster
Ultimately, they scrimped on theming four Extremis clones.

What they presented on Saturday was an embarrassment. The effects might make a difference, but there was no excuse for them not being ready.

Rach

Giga Poster
There may well be spoilers in this...

img0331xy.jpg

It has to be said, the ride is a disappointment. I didn't really know what to expect, but what I experienced was below any expectations I could have had.
One thing I am glad to see is that they are willing to continue the Nemesis theme which is probably one of the only positive things I can say about the ride.

I'm glad I didn't queue any longer than 10 minutes for it, any longer and you'll seriously be disappointed you stood in a queue that long for it.

The first thing is the area. It looks nice when you take away the fact the ride is in a shipping container. But why is it a military base and why are the staff dressed to look like coppers? To me the military base is confusing. I just don't understand it and what it has to do with the Nemesis monster. Maybe that's just me, but I don't know...

The staff are good, but what's with the insult shouting. I know it's all in with the theme and the roll of the staff, but are we really stupid guests? Well maybe we are for riding this thing...

When we got through, we dropped our bags off at the bag store, in which the staff didn't seem to know where lockers were placed. Into the room and I'm being yelled out by staff again. This time it's loading instructions that are barely understandable. So much so when they yelled "Do you understand?" and most of the group said No!
Either speak so people can understand you, or put it on the wall as writing as everyone can understand. Don't yell it so that everyone just piles in the lift.

Now the ride itself. The first lift seems to make an assortment of noises, a few shakes and then tells you how to board the actual ride.
The ride then. High anticipation of what's to come. When it comes to the drop, there is anticipation, but what you get is a tiny, forceless drop and plunged into the left overs of the Ice Age theming. Returning to the egg level, it's open and you disembark quickly for more lifts.
The second lift experience is better than the ride imo and then it's over!

The people in the lift were just as amazed and the often comment was "Is that it?". Yes, yes it is.

As it stands at the moment, it doesn't stand well as a stand alone attraction. It could work in it's current state as a pre show for Nemesis itself.
They could do so much more with it, but they just seemed to not want to bother.
I would personally like to see a second unsuspecting drop like the monster has taken the carriage and forcing it further underground. Then coming back up the tower with visuals of the monster and them leg feelers attacking you. Lots of loud noises and lighting effects as you leave and keep the second lift as it is as that was clearly well thought out.

Martyn B

CF Legend
A few minor tweaks could make it so much better, like having a proper ride cycle on the actual drop tower.

Its so blatenly obviously that they made this short to help with capacity (whilst people are queing, they cant spend money!!!!).

Make the first lift more interesting, and real, longer ride cycle, and then the exit lift would feel more like a bonus thrill, than the actual main thrill.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Having not been on it, I don't know what the ride cycle is like actually, but isn't a 'proper' drop tower cycle it going up and down once?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
Having not been on it, I don't know what the ride cycle is like actually, but isn't a 'proper' drop tower cycle it going up and down once?

Yeah, but it's only three feet down, so the entire experience is over in seconds ;)

See, this is where Extermis works. It's the end of the Dungeons experience, so you've had a long build up as part of the attraction - so the short drop tower is a highlight to a good overall experience. This IS the experience, and it just drops, pisses on you and then pulls you up slowly in the dark while you go "WTF?" It's just, just...Eugh!

JAMMYD777

Roller Poster
Here is a rundown of the attraction that was shown on a local TV news programme. Still very much over-hyping it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYPBDbOEqHY[/youtube]

Martyn B

CF Legend
Nah, you can see in this video that its the same height:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tNBhoI6FjE&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

fretboardpyro

Mega Poster
Went Alton Towers on monday. I was genuinley looking forward to having a Blast of it. Waitied in the line, watched the video with the radio 4 voice over. Handed the baggage in. Got into the first so called lift in the ride (it doesn't move- incase you didn't know) got onto the ride, 4 sets of seating aranged in a square around a crappy egg (I may have just set the tone for the rest of this), Squirty water lots of noise, drop not very far at all, at most about 15 foot. More water squirts and more noise, rises back up, lots of shouting.

Into second lift, second lift wibbles and the floor er...... Wibbles? More noise. Door opens. Then the sudden realisation that its crap hits you, and you trudge off to Nemesis for a few thrills!

If I had to describe this in one word, its worthless! I can't tell you or even describe my feelings on this waste of space. My first comments to Mrs Pyro were "The government should not allow the Nemesis name ever to be used again." Mrs Pyro then said "Why don't they just consult people who ride these the most for development concepts- us the coaster going public." I can't help but agree with her in this case.