What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

T0M

Hyper Poster
Re: New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

Can I just point out the progress here? The shop is two containers and not one.

Aaron

Hyper Poster
New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

But to be fair though, it does kind of fit the whole military control theme. I personally think it looks good, and regardless of Merlin going through a 'tin shed' phase it does suit well for this application.

Ben

CF Legend

Except, it really doesn't fit in with the military concept.

Shipping containers are industrial things, used for industry. The only time they've been appropiate was Saw.

Military camps, like they'd be fighting the Nemesis out of, are always huge tent based affairs, because they have to be easy to move. Large, steel boxes don't fit in with the military idea at all.

That doesn't say military to me, it says building site. Maybe shipping yard. A cardboard box factory.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^See, I don't see any of that.

I just see "cheap".

Ben

CF Legend

^Then stop looking in mirrors <//3

But, yeah, any hope I had the inside would be good has been a bit dashed. It'll just be... Merlin.

T0M

Hyper Poster

Az said:
But to be fair though, it does kind of fit the whole military control theme. I personally think it looks good, and regardless of Merlin going through a 'tin shed' phase it does suit well for this application.

Strongly agree, I just love the shipping container jokes. They are quite good items in all seriousness. They are used for cabins on the site where I work. Thirteen's simply needed epic vineage takerovering.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^They may well be very good items for certain applications, like shipping, storage, or an alternative to a temporary cabin.

They're just a bit **** when Merlin is using them as a cheap "building" and calling them "theming" instead.

It's basically this:

ghost.JPG

T0M

Hyper Poster

Ultimately they are an instant, sturdy-walled room. It's only the poor efforts of theming that make them ****. You could easily cover them with wood, plaster, faux-rock or anything. Thirteen's completely overtaken by ivy and vines would be awesome.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Are they official images though, or just something someone's knocked up in Google Sketchup based on the plans and speculation? The fact there's nothing inside (just a normal-sized room) makes me doubt they come from Merlin.

DDF14

Mega Poster

They were done by an enthusiast username BOZ on TT. They are not official.
It is a great piece of work though well done to him..

I think the building fits the concept correctly you wouldnt build and cover mechanical lifts to explore catacombs with a tent now would you.. I would strongly agree though that the colours could be more fitting with the rest of FV.. I think it looks functional. But I think I will wait to find out what the real narrative and story of the ride is before I question the building on its looks over its function.

I can really appreciate both arguments for the building and the shipping containers. I would imagine though that the budget for this ride is constrained by the fact of there being 2 SW projects either side of it. Tom G is bang on when he talks of them being sturdy structures that could be made to look like something else with some nice themeing touches but also when your creating an Industrial / Military installation I think the shipping containers in this case work.

But lets face it , its all about escapism and creating a different world its all open to interpretation there is no wrong or right...

The most interesting thing about this ride is the story and narrative it could take on within the Nemesis theme / world created through the comic and archive material..

Ben

CF Legend

DDF14 said:
I think the building fits the concept correctly you wouldnt build and cover mechanical lifts to explore catacombs with a tent now would you..

Except you would. The key to those sort of projects is speed. Why would you BOTHER building a metal box around it, when the canvas could be up 10 times quicker and does the job? Think about when you've seen it in films (I'm thinking Evolution and Thor), it's always a huge, canvas building.

But lets face it , its all about escapism and creating a different world its all open to interpretation there is no wrong or right...

No, when trying to represent something which has basis in real life, your intepretation in an artistic medium CAN be wrong and mis-representitive. And the art can suffer because of this. Gladiator springs to mind here.

It's not real anyway then, so it doesn't matter. But if the real one looks like that, it'll be incredibly gross.

Waffleman

Mega Poster

New announcement on New Years Eve at 18:18 (feel sorry for the guy who has to update the website) here. I can't see it being anything we don't already know, let the terrible marketing commence!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Ben, entire military bases in the Middle East were built from shipping containers.

It's quick, cheap and more durable than tents.

They suck to live in just as much, though.

Ben

CF Legend

I dunno, google image it and you get stuff like...

800px-Military_camp_at_Bagram%2C_Afghanistan.jpg

And Wikipedia pages that say...

"A military camp or bivouac is a semi-permanent facility for the lodging of an army. Camps are erected when a military force travels away from a major installation or fort during training or operations, and often have the form of large campsites"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_camp

Of course, Staffordshire (and Forbidden Valley and the Nemesis story DOES take place in Alton itself, remember) isn't in the Middle East. And, if you google "British Military camp in UK" you get, as the first result...

British-army-soldiers-pla-002.jpg

Those aren't shipping containers. I'd suggest that maybe shipping containers are used once or twice, but, they're mostly camps. Even if they're not, when it comes to creating a theme, you should work with the common image, and that, in film, TV, books, everything, is of a military camp being... a camp.

In line with the theme, HOWEVER, we aren't talking about what a normal military camp would be, that's side-tracking the discusiion.

We're talking about how the military would quickly cover up a hole that's appeared in the ground.

They wouldn't cover it with a shipping container because a shipping container is a solid object, with a floor. What use is putting a floor over the hole you want to get to going to do you?

Therefore, it's a stupid theme. A stupid theme that isn't even REAL because some kid drew it up. So...?

Is that really a big problem? What I'm interested in is the length of drop, seems awfully short unless it's a multi drop like ToT.

Waffleman

Mega Poster

Go to the London Dungeons and ride Extremis, you'll realise it's a fine height for a family thrill ride.

Ethan

Strata Poster

When I rode Extremis, I wasn't blown away. It's a 'jolt' tower not a drop tower. The forces weren't sustained for a long enough period for them to become even mildly exciting.

Gazza

Giga Poster

We're talking about how the military would quickly cover up a hole that's appeared in the ground.

They wouldn't cover it with a shipping container because a shipping container is a solid object, with a floor. What use is putting a floor over the hole you want to get to going to do you?
They also wouldn't use a roller coaster structure to 'pin it down', as the story of nemesis goes. That would take several months to do :)

Perhaps they discovered something in the ground, would have put up a tent over it initially, realised "**** this is big, we're here for the long haul and we'll need better facilities", and then set about putting a permanent shed/facility over the top. (Going deeper, but perhaps if the thing discovered needs containment it needs a more sturdy building, much like Raptor at Gardaland)

Imagine the building like places where they discover dinosaur tracks and put a shed/museum over the top to preserve them:
Lark%20Quarry%20Dinosaur%20Stampede.jpg

Or certain other famous stuff unearthed....
p151071-Xian-Terracotta_Warriors.jpg

Also in the first pic you posted aboce I can see 3 containers anyway.

Besides, the actual thing underground isn't actually in a container, that's what the big shed is for. I think the containers are just there as axillary stuff that has been set up on site (Perhaps they bought in special equipment to deal with the underground finding via container, and then have left them on site?

Plus a tent would look **** anyway.

Ben

CF Legend

^Uh, I see canvas in that first picture sweetie...

And the second one is a massive and permanent structure.

Neither of them are **** shipping containers.

Uh, so, no real point to your post was there?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^Well actually he makes a pretty good point. If you actually look at your first picture there are actually shipping containers that the army use. They use them for transporting stuff as, you know, that's what they're designed for. They'll use them as supply/storage areas when they've set the bases up. Like Gazza said, when they've decided to make a permanent structure they use a big roller/shutter/hanger type structure.

If you look at the images of the Alton site, they're going down that route. Using the big central structure as a main containment area, then using the shipping crates to keep as the temporary storage places. I don't really think he was being that unreasonable actually. There's a difference between an "Area 51"-style army base, and a military outpost like you've found examples of.

Also, you're second picture isn't in the UK. ;)