What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Re: New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

Ben said:
I don't understand why'd they'd have to mark them as stairs, or even the lifts as lifts, if they weren't real?
Me either, I guess the answer is they either don't have to but do anyway or they are real.

Do they have to colour their elevations for the plans that are shown to the council? Pretty sure they don't, but they do it anyway.

Az said:
There's no real purpose for a fake lift after the main ride experience, there's no need to build any tension, and you're just stopping people from getting out after they've done what they've been waiting for!
Oh come on Az! You write narratives! What sense does it make to take people far underground and not bring them back up again? Absolutely none.

I agree with you though, it is unnecessary and a bit... weird, but the mistake you are making is assuming the "main ride experience" is the be all and end all of this ride. I'm hoping that the reason there are lifts after the ride is because this will be a thorough experience from start to finish, that doesn't abandon you nonsensically. Most attractions get away with it, you build up to an event then you get off after the climax, there is no... I don't know the word, but you know what I mean. Maybe this one is going to go all out and provide a complete experience? It's risky because people could get bored, and I'm not convinced it will, but just a theory.

I'm on the fence about the lifts now, but I still mostly think they can't be real based on the inconvenience of having lifts.

The building is only 11 metres from floor to ceiling, or 36 feet.

Once you include clearance tolerances, that's not much height to play with - 22 feet?

I think calling whatever is inside a "drop tower" is a bit meaningless in that context! Mystery Castle this ain't.

But it does indeed make the "lifts" all the more mysterious... :)

Joey said:
Maybe this one is going to go all out and provide a complete experience? It's risky because people could get bored, and I'm not convinced it will, but just a theory.

I'm on the fence about the lifts now, but I still mostly think they can't be real based on the inconvenience of having lifts.

I think its valuable from a re-ride perspective and to leave a lasting impression. It would be nice to think that most guests thought they were deep underground the whole time.

If they just exit out from the ride onto flat ground, it basically undoes what you set up initially.

Joey said:
Oh come on Az! You write narratives! What sense does it make to take people far underground and not bring them back up again? Absolutely none.

I agree with you though, it is unnecessary and a bit... weird, but the mistake you are making is assuming the "main ride experience" is the be all and end all of this ride. I'm hoping that the reason there are lifts after the ride is because this will be a thorough experience from start to finish, that doesn't abandon you nonsensically.

That's the bit I didn't write but I was thinking it, I did say I would love to hear of a ride that uses false exit lifts too, I would actually be VERY impressed, because most attractions don't get them, they are often seen (by park authorities) as a pointless expense (for reasons explained previously)

But, if the lifts after the ride are false too, then colour me very impressed by the total theatreness of it. Perhaps then the lifts will be made to feel more like real lifts than most normal fake lifts? so that unsuspecting members of the public will still believe they are using a real lift?

Definitely something to keep an eye on I think!

The only fake lift that, for me, has ever come close to "real" is the one that was in the old Tomb of Terror at Flamingoland; that thing was amazing.

There was no exit lift there, and did most people even notice or realise? Did they buggery.

gavin said:
The only fake lift that, for me, has ever come close to "real" is the one that was in the old Tomb of Terror at Flamingoland; that thing was amazing.

There was no exit lift there, and did most people even notice or realise? Did they buggery.
Whilst I agree, it's not about realising. It's about can you provide an exit lift and continue the ride experience past the main event...? I'm skeptical if the average person would a.) care or b.) be paying attention after it, just chatting away about the ride, but we'll see. If the lifts are real, they will pretty much be forced to do this.

If they are fake, then the lifts need to be done really well or I can see the exit ones especially just becoming doorways like the X:NWO lifts.

I have my fingers crossed that this will turn out to be a satisfying addition to the park.
Limited budget will hopefully mean an extended storytelling aspect, which can only get a thumbs up.
If it does turn out to be an indoor drop tower, as has been suggested, then that's not bad either. An extremis-style drop could work in such a small space, and would add to any narrative, as long as it was part of something much larger. As for allusions to Mystery Castle, here's hoping...

A few fake lifts worked for me. The main one being for the Sea ride at Epcot you really did feel that you were moving.

The other one is for Men in Black and Universal Studios, again this does make you think that you have moved.

I'm not saying false lifts don't work, I love them! I'm saying

gavin said:

this. lol

Most people couldn't care less about an exit lift, so parks don't bother putting them in.

I've changed my hypothesis slightly, the presence of exit lifts here suggests that they will be doing something to make guests notice it on the way out, for example, the lift going back up escaping from whatever it is you've just been riding about with, but then the lift stops, and shudders as you haven't quite escaped yet... OMG WTF etc etc etc...

Wishful thinking again? lol

I wonder if they'll reuse the "battle a monster" theme again (merlin loves it...Nemesis, Raptor, The Swarm, Krake) seeing as it IS right next to Nemesis, the original "battle a monster" ride. Maybe they'll extend the theme a little, add more to that story.

I keep imagining this will be a throwback that underground military installation theme like SW1/2 were supposed to be.

^^ So at what part does Air [the greaceful, sub-tropical themed flying coaster], come in to that "battle a monster" story? :lol:

Subtropical? I live in a subtropical area, and Air's landscaping never struck me as being that lol.

Air's in it's own area realllly, it's very seprate from the rest of the forbidden valley. The plans for this ride show quite an industrial theme that fits in with the Nemesis part.

I do expect the budget for this to be several million, maybe £5m or so. They haven't bought a new attraction this year, remember. I think whatever this will be will be quite good.

ne_small.jpg

Yes I know it's not real.

Ollie said:
Just to make it obvious before someone gets overly excited.

By the way, is that Jordan's sister? ;)

New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

Ollie said:
ne_small.jpg

It might not be real but that is pretty impressive! I hope it actually is something like that...

Although if it is and they don't get the monster right it could screw up the whole mythology for both rides which would suck...

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)