What's new

Nemesis Construction Photos

Lol its different now days, its still fun.

I do have a choice not to follow the construction but its there and hard not to look.

It was just different and added a supprise factor. Now days we can view it all slag it off then ride it :) All the reverse order.

But I do enjoy following the construction topics as well, even though the Saw one pissed me off big time.

I still remember getting told off at the Animal Kingdom for taking pictures of Everest being built, you could see the track as they had not covered it yet.

I've actually been avoiding any discussion on Thirteen's construction, so I only know the really basic details (Intamin, dark ride, backward sections (that bit I could have done without (no comment, but yay, multiple brackets :p ))). I wanted to try seeing if it made a difference not knowing much about a ride before I rode it. I've seen a few pictures but nothing revealing. Also, I'll be able to ride it without being able to rea any discussion beforehand.

^Here here.

It's a shame the days of 'big' surprises have gone. I would've loved to see Nemesis in its opening season. It's magnificent now, I can't imagine what it was like back then.

gavin said:
I wasn't an enthusiast back then, but you could still tell just how major it was. Just looking at it scared the **** out of me.

Thats exactly how I felt. I can still picture me at the ripe old age of 10, in 1994, just standing in awe, watching it, and getting nervous!

I remember saying "you'll never get me on that", now look whats happened to me! :x

I was too young for this, but I remember seeing Oblivion being built. My earliest Alton memory in fact. I got very excited. I would have always classed myself as an enthusiast really, but the general hype around this must have been amazing.

I love the signage. 'The Restricted Zone'. Very cool. Also good to see John looking so young in his heyday!

That's a really good find. It looks so bare without all the foliage. In a way, I kinda prefer that, as it looked more like the 'Nemesis' had freshly dug up all the earth, and then been pinned down.

On the other hand, all the foliage adds to the story as it's been kept at bay for so many years.

jj.png

AWESOME!

I have a request though. Any one have a picture of that area before they started digging it all up?

Screaming Coasters said:
bob_3_ said:
I think Oblivion was done like that too., and painted the track on-site.

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/co ... vion18.jpg

Well Oblivion was actually a grey coaster originally, they then painted it black in later years.

You definetly sure of that? In April 1998 it seemed pretty black to me. (Well from what I can remember.... I must dig up my old ORP... Infact, somewhere I actually have a pic of Oblivion from 1998...)

oblivion16.jpg

Black track, grey rails is what it looks like in the foreground, but in the distance where the sun is, it looks grey...

Hence the picture doesn't solve anything... :lol:

But Oblivion is probably meant to be black, and sure it was when I first went to Towers in 2001...

When the image is loading and is the size of my house, you can see the black paint being slopped on the break run.

You can kinda make it out on the supports when the image is normal.

I almost think that it was brought to the site with just the undercoat, and painted black while being installed. ^ That paint job is all over the place.

I heard somewhere (back years ago) that it had the colour toned down due to the black causing the track to expand too much when absorbing the sunlight? Like, so much that it was causing issues? I don't know for sure though. Sounds plausable with that massive track that could contain the heat. I think its just faded a rediculous amount because some bits hidden away are still fairly dark coloured.

I almost think that it was brought to the site with just the undercoat, and painted black while being installed. ^ That paint job is all over the place

Yeah it definitely looks that way.