Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Country/Folk

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Pop

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
Just out of interest, I would like to know what music people like. So what is your favourite genre, what is your favourite band/artist, and what is your favourite song? :)

mouse

Giga Poster
I'm not really a music person, I make music, but don't listen to it. Out of the options I would probably just say pop, although I do love a bit of jazz...

jayjay

Giga Poster
I skip around a few bands but generally stay in rock. Current top groups for me are Radiohead (though some of their new stuff is more electronica based), Pink Floyd and Muse.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I have a musical taste, but that doesn't mean I like a particular genre over any other.

If a piece of music is working for me, then it must fit into my taste. I think I've narrowed it down to a degree, and certainly the core of two of my tastes are "Ace of Spades" and "When the Levee Breaks". I'm not a big AoS fan, but I do find that I tend to immediately love songs that are essentially the same rhythmic pattern (they tend to be 'rock', but you'd be surprised how often it's used).

I do love WtLB though and it's one of my favourite songs ever. There's a particular way the song works (I'm no musician so couldn't tell you what it is), but it's the rhythm and key or something that appeals to me. I've learned to spot it in songs that immediately capture my, like Depeche Mode "I feel you" and "Super Massive Blackhole" by Muse. Though Muse are just remaking everyone elses songs ;)

I also love folk/rock blues right the way from Robert Johnson to New Model Army to pretty much anything Jack White is involved in.

While I'm happy to listen to "heavy metal" in a pub/club/driving fast, I don't do it for "musical pleasure", it's a release really and I'm as happy blasting out the Beach Boys as I am Fear Factory.

One thing I do require is a clear tune I can get the feel of. If it's just a bunch of guitar noise and screaming, I can't get on with it.

I adore 50's/60's "pure" rock'n'roll (something you'll see reoccurring in my videos), but that also encompasses The Beatles (to a degree, I find them a little tedious), The Stones, David Bowie and anything else that kind of grabs on the skirt tails of rock'n'roll.

I was a big fan of electronic and synth music in the 80's and I still love The Art of Noise and J.M.Jarre.

Finally, I like slightly odd stuff, where people aren't really fitting anywhere else. Kate Bush, Tori Amos and Siouxie and the Banshees (along with All about Eve I guess) are female led artists I love that don't really fit anywhere. Pink Floyd (their earlier stuff) can't really be categorised and things like Nick Cave.

Oh, I'm also happy to listen to classical too :)

What I don't understand is why people feel the need to "like a genre" or "have a musical taste". Just listen to music and enjoy it if it appeals to you. I like one Marilyn Manson album, but that doesn't mean I like all his stuff, or everything that sounds like him. I despise Music for the Masses by Depeche Mode, despite loving every single other thing they've done. I don't believe in being trapped or compartmentalised, it's something for the ear, for your mood or for you. I wish I knew more about musical theory so I could discuss it all properly :lol:

thx

Mega Poster
furie said:
What I don't understand is why people feel the need to "like a genre" or "have a musical taste". Just listen to music and enjoy it if it appeals to you. I like one Marilyn Manson album, but that doesn't mean I like all his stuff, or everything that sounds like him. I despise Music for the Masses by Depeche Mode, despite loving every single other thing they've done. I don't believe in being trapped or compartmentalised, it's something for the ear, for your mood or for you. I wish I knew more about musical theory so I could discuss it all properly
Spot on!

There's some music I love in all genre's. I justed to listen to heavy/trash metal, hard rock and the likes quite a bit until like 16-17, but then as I matured haha I started to enjoy considerably "calmer" music and found trance when I was 16 and has after that mostly listened to electronic music, mostly progressive, deep, melodic, hard house/electro with some minimal and techno, well just loads of that kind of music. The last 4 years or so I've been to countless gigs and few concerts which have made me know the scene that much well, which in a way, is bad though as when you've heard so much and are "in there" following it and all, it's hard to escape it and start to listen to completely other kind of music a lot.

I still really like lots of the harder rock I listened to, but it just feels "too much" to listen to on a very regular basis, also it seems I don't have as much anger and what not in me than I had in my mid teens or so :lol: Oh and 80's music in general, be it pop, dance, some randomnes or ballads from like Whitesnake, deserve a mention too, really like it. I find it a bit frustrating and sad, how much great music there's in the world, which I'll never hear though or like once went to a random guys' preparty and they play all psychadelic 60's rock from Sweden, which was amazing and I highly doubt I would ever have heard them unless I hadn't been there.

kimahri

CF Legend
What Furie said. I do like my video game music the most but I do like the occasional everything else. Except Dubstep. **** off Jer. It's ****. D:<

A

Anonymous

It would be easier to say which genres I don't like, since there is a lot of stuff here and there that I do, the rest can **** of...

But then again, the music genres I listen to most are: Trance, Dance, J-pop, Euro-beat and similar.
Even though some classical masterpieces can sneak into my play-lists here and there...

Kebab

Giga Poster
I listen to most music, I never limit myself to specific genres, as long as they sound good and have fantastic song-writing I'm sold. I'm not a fan of cheesy, lame mainstream metal like Bullet For My Valentine though, I hate it when they try to be radio-friendly with that genre of music, it sounds so bad.

According to Sputnikmusic this is how my favourite genre's rank up...

1. Metal (35%)
2. Progressive (23%)
3. Alt/Indie (17%)
4. Alt Rock (12%)
5. Indie pop (6%)
5= Post-Hardcore (6%)

However, according to this poll, I'd personally rank them like follows:

1. Rock
2. Metal
3. Country/Folk
4. Punk
5. Hip Hop/Rap
6. Electronica/Techno
7. Jazz
8. Pop

I'm sorry but pop music nowadays is ****, even if I do have Pixie Lott in my avatar.

Favourite Band: Coheed and Cambria
Favourite song:...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5_miMF-p0&ob=av2e[/youtube]

This song is absolutely beautiful, and lyrically, the best song ever.

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
Kebab said:
I'm sorry but pop music nowadays is ****, even if I do have Pixie Lott in my avatar.

Coheed and Cambria are a fantastic band, but i cannot really say much about them as I only have one of their albums. But still Listening to that album start to finish never gets old :D and pop music is absolute sh*t IMO.

kimahri

CF Legend
I <3 Paula as well. Totally forgot about that in all of it's incredibly obscurity in references. I think only Erol and possibly Furie would get this...

Kebab

Giga Poster
Pingu on drugs said:
Kebab said:

Coheed and Cambria are a fantastic band, but i cannot really say much about them as I only have one of their albums. But still Listening to that album start to finish never gets old :D and pop music is absolute sh*t IMO.
They've lost their touch recently, their first 3 albums were absolutely outstanding, the latter not so much but fun to listen to for sure! Just compare the song 'Neverender' off their first album to 'Pearl of the Stars' off their recent album, they just haven't got the kick-ass'ness they had back in the day... :(

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Drum & Bass is pretty much all I listen to apart from a bit of Metal and old school Dubstep (not the screechy **** that people call Dubstep nowadays).

kimahri

CF Legend
I would like to request that you increase the amount options you can vote on as there are songs I in all of those genre's.

But for now have some comic bakery and the Cannon fodder 2 Cracktro cause I really like them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf29ShkoAiA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T-ohoNsVrg[/youtube]

ARGH! I love it!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Rock, metal. Pretty much sums it up perfectly. Maybe rapcore depending on the door.

Electronic can go and shoot itself, and while it does that it should take out dubstep and autotune. The two inbred cousins need to go away.