What's new

Motiongate | Dubai | Theme Park

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
As david morton pointed out in the News & Rumours forum we somehow don't have a proper thread for this place yet. Which considering how good the park looks is amazing. The park is part of Dubai Parks And Resorts and is located right next to the Legoland Dubai park ( viewtopic.php?f=64&t=39409 ) and the new Bollywood Theme Park
The park is due to open in October this year.

Motiongate_Aerial-View-Perspective-60.jpg

For those who need catching up this park is a movie themed park being built in Dubai bringing together some of the best known IP's from Sony, Dreamworks & Lionsgate.
This video is really worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... CHUdaxtnzE

Here's the rough attraction lineup for the park

Studio Central

Park entrance plaza, with dining and shopping

Sony Pictures Studios

Hotel Transylvania (Dark ride)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: River Expedition (Rapids ride)
Flint's Imagination Lab (Playground)
Zombieland: Blast Off (Drop ride)
Ghostbusters: Battle for New York (Shooter ride)
The Green Hornet: High Speed Chase (Roller coaster)
Underworld 4D (4D show)

Smurfs Village

Smurfs Studio Tour (Family ride)
Smurfs Village Playhouse (Theater show)
Smurfs Village Express (Family coaster)
Woodland Play Park (Playground)
Smurfberry Factory (Kiddie playground)

DreamWorks

Shrek's Merry Fairy Tale Journey (Dark ride)
Swamp Celebration (Spinning flat ride)
Madagascar Mad Pursuit (Roller coaster)
Melman Go-Round (Carousel)
Penguin Air (Swing ride)
Kung Fu Panda: Unstoppable Awesomeness (4D show)
Mr. Ping's Noodle Fling (Teacups)
Kung Fu Panda Academy (Theater show)
Dragon Gliders (Suspended coaster)
Camp Viking (Water playground)
Swinging Viking (Swinging ship)

Lionsgate

Capitol Bullet Train (Roller coaster)
Panem Aerial Tour (Motion simulator)
Step Up Dubai, All In! (Musical show)

A little more on the main 4 coasters.

The Green Hornet: High Speed Chase
A Gerstlauer bobsled coaster
12772024_1515630735408986_1998356711490692989_o.jpg

motioner1.jpg

Dragon Gliders
An indoor Mack spinning suspended coaster similar to Arthur at Europa Park but themed to How To Train Your Dragon
motiongater2.jpg

Madagascar Mad Pursuit
The big unknown coaster. The fastest in the park apparently and indoors suggesting its launched. The support connectors on here suggest its a Gerstlauer Infinity design but thats just my informed guess rather than anything official
motioner2.jpg

Capitol Bullet Train
Themed to the Hunger Games this launched coaster uses a reverse spike like the Mack at Movie Park will as well as the Premier in Doha and the Intamin at Wanda Hefei. A strangely popular system all of a sudden. The ride was originally thought to be Gerstlauer but I have heard recently its actually a Mack which makes more sense. Its the only major coaster thats not gone completely vertical yet.

the-other-big-attraction-will-be-a-roller-coaster-which-will-transport-riders-from-district-12-to-the-capitol-in-cars-designed-like-a-capitol-bullet-train.jpg

1680x618_0003_Launch%20Coaster_0.jpg

There is also an unknown Smurfs themed Junior Coaster.

peep

CF Legend
I think this park looks and sounds fantastic. It's very tempting to go out there next year to see if it's any good once open.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I like how the park decided to have different areas based on studio and not something like brands or anything. Except for Smurfs, because every kid today knows that their cultural influence on society means it deserves its own area.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
This is so interesting omg! Some of the IP usage is hilarious. Some bits sound cool (Hotel Transylvania, Capitol Bullet Train, Ghostbusters: Battle for New York) but absolute death at Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: River Expedition and you just know Kung Fu Panda: Unstoppable Awesomeness is going to be horrific . I'm most interested in seeing the Hunger Games area as it seems like a really difficult IP to pull of at a theme park. Also love the possibility of there something as monstrous as a Gerstlauer Infinity being themed to a children's IP. Can't wait to here more.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah I love how the biggest and fastest ride there is themed to Madagascar, haha, that's fab, like, what?

The Ghostbusters dark ride yayyyy.

The lady I've spoken to at the park is fab too, real enthusiasm for the project which is great to see. I think it'll be brilliant. Excuse to go back to the sandpit at least!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Some more info on the Ghostbusters trackless ride

As a tribute to the original classic, Ghostbusters: Battle for New York is an interactive, trackless dark ride that transports guests to the rooftops of New York City, where the paranormal activity begins aboard your very own Ecto-Pod vehicle. Armed with a ghost-blasting proton pack, guests are inducted as honorary Ghostbuster with one goal – to exterminate Slimer, Gozer the Destructor, the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and other sinister beings.

Ghostbusters-Ecto-Pod-FRONT-648x500.jpg

Ghostbusters-Ecto-Pod-BACK-648x500.jpg

Cnl2CppWEAAWK9J.jpg

Edward M

Strata Poster
Yay! Another trackless ride in the world is always good news. I really hope that America gets a good one (aka not Antartica) soon.

The park also looks pretty amazing. The mixture of dark rides and quality roller coasters looks like it will work. Hope to visit this park one day.

Edward M

Strata Poster
^ While Kong is technically a trackless vehicle, I meant more of those type of ride vehicles (featured on Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor, etc.). They are able to use much more motion and provide a very different ride experience. Kong seems more like Kilimanjaro Safaris than Mystic Manor with the vehicles. I just want a ride that can do the things that Pooh and Mystic Manor can do in America (preferably at Disney World) hopefully with amazing theming to match (Imagination @ Epcot trackless ride pls).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The systems for Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor aren't the same. The technology for Mystic Manor's is a lot more basic.

I don't think we're likely to see another Hunny Hunt style system to be honest. It's overly complicated and overly expensive compared to Mystic Manor's and, I'm assuming, Ratatouille's (that's trackless, right?).

It seems that Disney have replaced it with something simpler, much like they did with the Tower of Terror rides. Plus, I can't see any company other than Disney or Universal going for such a complicated and expensive system. If even Disney have moved on from it, then we won't be seeing another one.

We'll see with that Beauty and the Beast ride in a couple of years I guess.

davidm

Strata Poster
roomraider said:
The park is due to open in October this year.
Sticking to that (just) ;

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dxbparksresorts/status/763659210097889280[/tweet]
(their tweet seems to have gone ; anyway it said 31st Oct, perhaps they are slipping?)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ah that's perfect timing! Just before I leave. :lol:

Hopefully all the creds are open. :p

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
This park, Riverland and the Bollywood theme park are supposed to open on Halloween.

AR-160919531.jpg&MaxW=780&imageVersion=16by9&NCS_modified=20160917195320

dubai-parks-and-resorts-311.jpg

EP-160919531.jpg&MaxW=780&imageVersion=16by9&NCS_modified=20160917195320

dubai-parks-and-resorts-312.jpg

dubai-parks-and-resorts-313.jpg

dubai-parks-and-resorts-330.jpg

dubai-parks-and-resorts-331.jpg

The Zombieland drop tower looking like a product of Six Flags!?
fM3JS3i.gif

Very interested to see the rest once they've hurried up a bit. I was expecting a mixture of 'interesting', 'quite nice', 'kinda tacky' and 'did someone actually come up with this, think this was a good idea and somehow got it OKed by set of entirely different people'.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm just really surprised that after the whole mess years ago with all those announcements and bugger all getting done for years, it's all actually happening now.

I honestly didn't see it all panning out.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Until a friend of mine moved over there to work on the project last year, I had no faith in almost any park pencilled in for Dubai. Especially after that forlorn Universal Studios sign and lots of pics of coaster track covered in sand. But now there's actually been some cash and proper backing flowing around Dubai since Lehmann Brothers and the credit crunch, the whole complex will be amazing when it all fully opens.

Should still be on course to open around the due date.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Today they've said that their revised opening schedule is:
31st October
*Legoland
*Riverland shopping district

15th November
*Legoland water park
*Bollywood parks
*Lapita hotel

16th December
*Motiongate

DPR-Map-974x681.jpg

source

Jared

Hyper Poster
I didn't realise this was all one big resort! Is this in the same area as IMG or is it somewhere else!