What's new

Most famous rollercoaster?

elephant58

Hyper Poster
UK: Nemesis, Oblivion, PMBO and Grand National.
US: TTD, MF, Magnum XL-200, I305 and Drachen Fire :wink:
France: Goudurix, for obvious reasons.

marc

CF Legend
Yes was rather shocked when I sent an email to 20 people at work.

5 replied that really high one in the USA, they meant TTD.

3 Space Mountain in Paris.

5 Space Mountain in Orlando.

3 Nemesis

2 The one at Thorpe Park that loops the loop lots, lol.

2 that fast one at Thorpe Park that's 500ft, lol.

What this shows it names don't matter :)

Yes was a bit shocked by the results.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Ian said:
I'd like to think that Top Thrill Dragster is famous. Ok, so non-enthusiasts might not know it's name but how many of you have received an email with TTD photos titled "OMG"? or had people say to you or "I saw this big race car coaster on so & so channel last night, cor, that's big and fast".

My parents have sent me that email about 5 times (assuming it's the one with the girl whose wet herself!!)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Once again, CoasterForce have outdone themselves by completely missing the point of this thread, yay!

Drachen Fire? What in the world...

abc555

Roller Poster
The average non-enthusiast would probably struggle to know a coaster by its name even if they have one in mind

probably depends on what country your in but Big thunder mountain has to be pretty close to the top of the list...... I knew of it before I'd ever been to a park or ridden a coaster of any merit, and with Disney parks across the world its gota be up there with the best know

Snowman

Roller Poster
I'm so very surprised nobody has mentioned this...
I asked a good ten or fifteen friends to just name a coaster at random- I got either Batman or Superman from absolutely everyone. I made sure to purposely ask people from different states and friends that had moved away and stuff- it's Batman or Superman. Hooray for Six Flags and their lack of creative naming.

Prior to joining CoasterForce, the only European coasters I could name were PMBO and Space Mountain. None of my friends could name a single one.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
It might depend on region too. In the Chicago and Milwaukee area, I'd say Raging Bull. Overall in the US, I tend to agree with Space Mountain. I also want to say Colossus at SFMM because of it's appearance in National Lampoon's Vacation, and a TV show's credits in the 90s (I can't remember which one, for some reason, I want to say it was Full House).

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
ignace said:
Here in Belgium, Kingda Ka is also a pretty well known name for the non-enthusiasts.

Really? Because when I mention the name Kingda Ka overhere, everyone thinks this is some kind of foreign vegetable.

In Belgium, it depends on which generation you ask this questions. For any people over 30, they probably might answer or Tornado or Sirocco from Walibi Wavre. If I ask my father to mention any rollercoaster, he answers with Sirocco or Tornado.

When you go for my generation, which is 25+, it will be probably Revolution (Bobbejaanland) that might be mentioned, Vampire or Werewolf.

WHen you go with the teenagers from 12 years or older, I think the most popular rollercoaster will be Anubis at Plopsaland, Werewolf at Walibi Belgium or Vampire. Typhoon is one of these rides the young generation might like because of the 95° drop.

Colossus

Giga Poster
When I speak to people about coasters, especially people who are older then me, or have no interest in coasters, 3 names are always mentioned,

The Big One, although, nobody ever calls it by that name, or PMBO, most people I have spoken to about it know it as simply "Pepsi Max"
The others are actually Corkscrew at Alton Towers and the Scenic Railway at Margate.

But as far as famous goes, to claim to be famous a ride must have world wide acclaim and or some kind of worldwide relevance for a long period of time, it would be a ride from a time where a trip to a theme park meant more then it is now, so parks like Alton Towers, Blackpool and obviously Disney etc. Nothing built recently can really be heralded as famous because there's just to many coasters and park springing up all over the place these days that people forget them, maybe in 10,15 years one or two may classify as famous, we will see.

That in mind, I like The Big One, it really set the bar for what could be achieved with coasters, I think the world must have stood up and taken note way back in 1994, it would have been and still is a monumental sight, configure that with it being located in a holiday town where not everybody comes to the town to ride rides, it really would have been or at least should have been very famous.

Others include Space Mountain, Cyclone and possibly The Beast and Nemesis?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I believe the Big One was upstaged by Magnum XL-200, which was built earlier in 1989 at CP. Magnum was the first 200 ft. roller coaster in the world (which consequently forgot the existence of Moonsault Scramble), and set the tone for very large, steel roller coasters.

While the Big One was not the first 200 ft. roller coaster worldwide, it was the first in the UK, which is where its significance is probably more important.

Colossus

Giga Poster
^Ah, I completely forgot about Magnum XL-200.

Yeah I guess with that, the Big One probably didn't have much relevance over there., my bad.

How is Nemesis thought off outside of the enthusiast community over there?

It strikes me as another one that has huge following here, but could potentially be unknown over there, outside of the US enthusiasts?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Colossus said:

It strikes me as another one that has huge following here, but could potentially be unknown over there, outside of the US enthusiasts?
I doubt many US non-enthusiasts know about coasters outside of their region - with the exception of record breaking, exceptional and media friendly coasters like TTD - let alone any in the UK. The USA is very "diluted" due to it's size (and I mean that in a good way) when it comes to coasters.

The same principle could be applied here in the UK. I'd wager that non enthusiasts only really know about "the big red one at Blackpool" and possibly one Alton Towers coaster.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Ian said:
Colossus said:

I doubt many US non-enthusiasts know about coasters outside of their region - with the exception of record breaking, exceptional and media friendly coasters like TTD - let alone any in the UK. The USA is very "diluted" due to it's size (and I mean that in a good way) when it comes to coasters.

The same principle could be applied here in the UK. I'd wager that non enthusiasts only really know about "the big red one at Blackpool" and possibly one Alton Towers coaster.

Yeah that's pretty much how I imagined it would be.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Ian said:

and I'd hazard a guess that a lot of people still think the corkscrew is there!!