What's new

More Cheese Trip Reports.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oh we do like to be back side the seaside and all that. Reports please.

Nic

Strata Poster
Don't think anyone is bothering with Southport today. A bunch of us are off to Skegness and some of us are going to Alton

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Well, Blackpool was awesome. Beautiful weather, a nice small group and lots of silliness.

Oh, and we FINALLY got Jerry on Valhalla.

More (and hopefully a Live video) later.

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
I'm heading to southport in half an hour!
Was a great day yesterday and everyone was very nice and understanding of my hangover!

Will post pics and stuff when home.

In fact. Southport was quite a surprise. 4 creds and a really rather good ghost train in the old funhouse building. Even had a live actor!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
MouseAT said:
My new favorite water ride. Amazing!

And I know many peeps are not going to like this, but the Wild Mouse at PBB is moving into my Top 5 and Fantasy Island has the best SLC (Jubilee Odyssey) and the smoothest Vekoma (Millennium Coaster) I've ever ridden.

Just got to Ian's a little while ago, but will post more tomorrow after some much needed zzz...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I didn't rate Wallace & Gromit. It LOOKS really good. The slipper cars are ace and the animatronics are well executed but there's no storyline or real atmosphere to the ride. I found it lacked the silly humour that I associate with W&G...or even the old Gold Mine. The notable exceptions were the mice with sunglasses and the photo of the Queen above the stair banister. Shawn The Sheep is fab. The most positive point about the ride is it showcases a popular British creation at Britain's most traditional park. It's just a shame it's a bit higglety pigglety.

The Wallace & Gromit ride has also altered the Lost River Ride. The section of LRR that went through the cafe has been cheaply covered with a roof full of sparkly lights. I guess they're meant to be stars. It's very Amanda.

Ride highlights were Valhalla, White (I love that ride), Nash and the maze. Also new ride cred for me at BPB - Dora's Slowpids. I now know how to say hello in many languages and I was impressed how clean the water looked.

Mike

Giga Poster
Another fantastic weekend with CF.

Great bunch of people, excellent weather, most of the rides running the best I've ever had them... What more could you want!?

I thought the Wild Mouse was running incredibly well. I've never had that much airtime on it before and I've usually found it to be a rather forgettable ride, but it was pretty much the complete opposite to this on Saturday.

My main gripe with Blackpool is how corporate it's all becoming. What were once barbecues giving off a fantastic smell are now grey buildings selling **** griddled burgers which smell foul; more security walking around than bloody Thorpe Park; rides opening 90 minutes+ after the park opens; the smiley yellow-faced logo almost completely disappeared... Maybe I'm just being overly-nostalgic, but I much preferred the park back when it was all open to the public.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Mike said:
My main gripe with Blackpool is how corporate it's all becoming.
And the music! Same six songs on repeat all day long.

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
I did manage to find a mr funshine t shirt on the way out. But yes it does all seem quite bland now.

I quite liked Wallace and grommit. But it has completely ruined the bet bit of the river cave going through the restaurant. I'm fact the whole restaurant seems to have been removed! I always use to go there to see the river caves running through and the gold mine thundering overhead. It was one of the most magical places in the pleasure beach.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Group photos. Full size so they might take a while to load on mobiles.

bpb13live1.JPG

bpb13live2.JPG

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Awwww, that's a superb group, would have been a brilliant Live :(

ECG said:
MouseAT said:
My new favorite water ride. Amazing!

So more than two effects working for the first time ever then???

ECG said:
And I know many peeps are not going to like this, but the Wild Mouse at PBB is moving into my Top 5

I don't particularly like it myself, but I can completely understand why people love it. For all intents and purposes it's a unique ride and there are very few rides which give such a violent and dangerous feeling ride. I guess that growing up with something doesn't always make you appreciate it more :lol:

ECG said:
and Fantasy Island has the best SLC (Jubilee Odyssey)

It sat in my top ten for a long time. I don't really rate much of it, but that first drop is sublime (or was). It's a ride I really need to get back on to now my experience has widened to put it in a firm place :)

ECG said:
and the smoothest Vekoma (Millennium Coaster) I've ever ridden.

Also the dullest? ;)

Ian said:
White (I love that ride)

Avalanche?

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Mike said:
My main gripe with Blackpool is how corporate it's all becoming. What were once barbecues giving off a fantastic smell are now grey buildings selling **** griddled burgers which smell foul; more security walking around than bloody Thorpe Park; rides opening 90 minutes+ after the park opens; the smiley yellow-faced logo almost completely disappeared... Maybe I'm just being overly-nostalgic, but I much preferred the park back when it was all open to the public.
No, you're not just being overly nostalgic. When I first visited the park back in 2007, it didn't feel particularly polished, but it definitely had a unique charm and character to it. Now, the place does seem a bit bland, like it's lost its edge somehow. I'm not quite sure how to describe it.

If you're with the right people and in the right frame of mind then it's amazing, and I still think it's one of the best parks for a Live, but I'm not sure the park itself has a lot to hold my interest any more.

On the plus side, with the exception of the grouchy bastards assigning seating on Big Dipper, most of the Pleasure Beach staff seemed surprisingly friendly this time around. Flamingo Land take note!

Ian said:
The music! Same six songs on repeat all day long.
It was fun to mock, but it was definitely getting annoying by the end of the day, and I'm sure under different circumstances it would induce Mouse Rage. There's no excuse for being that stingy with the playlist.

Dubaidave said:
I quite liked Wallace and Grommit. But it has completely ruined the bet bit of the river cave going through the restaurant. I'm fact the whole restaurant seems to have been removed! I always use to go there to see the river caves running through and the gold mine thundering overhead. It was one of the most magical places in the pleasure beach.
I quite liked Wallace and Gromit as well. There's no real coherence to the ride, but I like the nods to various great moments in the TV shows. It had a certain charm to it. I'm not sure how much re-ride value it'll have, and if the animatronics start breaking down then it'll be a real shame. I also don't think you can appreciate the ride unless you've seen the TV shows and movie. Perhaps if they had tried to create an actual short story, the ride might have made sense to a broader audience. I suppose the vast majority of visitors know the shows and characters well enough that it doesn't really matter to the park.

The river caves are worse off now that the open section is gone though. I'm not sure whether there's any way they could have enclosed Wallace and Gromit without ruining the section in the restaurant (and for Wallace and Gromit to work, the open section where Goldmine passed through the river caves definitely had to go), but just creating a straight, claustrophobic tunnel with a star cloth draped over the top and then calling it a day just isn't good enough.

Mike said:
Most of the rides running the best I've ever had them...
I though Big Dipper was on poor form, but most of the other rides were amazing. I've never known The Big One run so fast before, which unfortunately also meant that I'd never known it be so painful before. If you want to know what it's like to be anally raped by a roller coaster, ride The Big One mid afternoon on a boiling hot day. Or don't. It's not a pleasant experience.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wait until you read the page, then you'll make more mess than normal! :p

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
Did you see this lady inhaling a microphone at fantasy island?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373372969.762169.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373372969.762169.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 116

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Video is finally up, featuring many rides and antics but very few fleeces or fountains.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3OBDftv9LQ[/youtube]

Best viewed on YouTube in 720p.

If you're on a mobile device, visit http://www.youtube.com?nomobile=1 to get the desktop version of the YouTube home page, and then search for "mouseat more cheese". Led Zeppelin apparently don't want their music to be consumed on the move.