What's new

Monster-Raving Goony Party: Skara.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Soooo... I had the next chapter almost written up, nearly finished it was... and then yesterday I dropped and smashed my phone. 🤦‍♂️
All kitted out with a nice new one now but having to re-login to everything has meant that the draft has been lost. Gotta start again.
What a ...
Screenshot_20220728-201716_Photos.jpg

andrus

Giga Poster
My next vlog from Skara is now up!

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
So I'm waiting for the Howie trip report and all, but meanwhile I'm wondering what your impressions where of Skara Sommarland, and Snake in particular?

We actually went to Skara with the family a couple of weeks after you've been. There have admittedly not been much cred hunting since we got kids. But Skara is actually a really great park to hang out in with smaller kids! Friendly atmosphere, clean, no queue jumping and lot's of different types of rides for the small ones. The water park is great too, even with some slides for the older teens and adults. But the fairground section have been lacking in the thrill department. That's why I was most pleased (and surprised) when Parks & Resorts decided to put a Funtime Chaos Pendle at the park!

I've been intrigued by this ride type ever since Wiener Prater opened Black Mamba. Heck I even think I started it's own topic back in the days 😅 So it's great to finally get on one! I've heard some people say that the experince is a lot less impressive onride than off ride. Personally though I really loved the ride and think it's a great fit for the park 🙂 While the ride experince aint as intense as it looks, the Chaos Pendle does pull som high G's and, to my surprise, have lots of moments of airtime! The seating is very exposed as well, making the views great at the top. I think it's a good ride and I will definitely ride it again at my next visit. And even more important: it's a spectacular attraction from off ride. Since most kids are too small or afraid to ride Snake I think Parks & Resorts made a brilliant choice to put in a Chaos Pendle as their high thrill attraction, since it still provides the rest of thepark visitors with great visuals and an awe-inspiring experience even off ride.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
So I'm waiting for the Howie trip report and all, but meanwhile I'm wondering what your impressions where of Skara Sommarland, and Snake in particular?

We actually went to Skara with the family a couple of weeks after you've been. There have admittedly not been much cred hunting since we got kids. But Skara is actually a really great park to hang out in with smaller kids! Friendly atmosphere, clean, no queue jumping and lot's of different types of rides for the small ones. The water park is great too, even with some slides for the older teens and adults. But the fairground section have been lacking in the thrill department. That's why I was most pleased (and surprised) when Parks & Resorts decided to put a Funtime Chaos Pendle at the park!

I've been intrigued by this ride type ever since Wiener Prater opened Black Mamba. Heck I even think I started it's own topic back in the days 😅 So it's great to finally get on one! I've heard some people say that the experince is a lot less impressive onride than off ride. Personally though I really loved the ride and think it's a great fit for the park 🙂 While the ride experince aint as intense as it looks, the Chaos Pendle does pull som high G's and, to my surprise, have lots of moments of airtime! The seating is very exposed as well, making the views great at the top. I think it's a good ride and I will definitely ride it again at my next visit. And even more important: it's a spectacular attraction from off ride. Since most kids are too small or afraid to ride Snake I think Parks & Resorts made a brilliant choice to put in a Chaos Pendle as their high thrill attraction, since it still provides the rest of thepark visitors with great visuals and an awe-inspiring experience even off ride.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts!
I loved it. It was my third one this year so completed my Chaos Pendle set! I'd probably say Black Mamba was the most intense of the three but they're all great. I dragged a load of people on Snake and I know not everyone enjoyed it as much as I did, but I think most were impressed. 😂

andrus

Giga Poster
I loved it. It was my third one this year so completed my Chaos Pendle set! I'd probably say Black Mamba was the most intense of the three but they're all great. I dragged a load of people on Snake and I know not everyone enjoyed it as much as I did, but I think most were impressed. 😂
I'm glad you persuaded(/forced?) your companions to go on Snake! Like I wrote above I really loved the ride: some great and unexpected forces, not too dizzying and awe-inspiring looks. I hope that (at least) the majority of the group enjoyed their ride 😂

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'm wondering what your impressions where of Skara Sommarland, and Snake in particular?
Having been to Skara a few times now, it's an interesting place. It's annoyingly out of the way, but doable as a detour if you're taking a day to travel cross-country between the more notable parks. It's pleasant enough, but for enthusiasts, it's the sort of place where I'm happy to pop in for a few hours if people need the creds, and then move on.

A lot of the appeal of the place seems to be in the water park, rather than the other rides. Tranan is uniquely quirky, and always worth riding, the other creds are mostly one and done, but there isn't much else of interest to me, personally. It's nice to see Snake find a permanent home there, after it was removed from Grona Lund. There's an OK log flume, the water ski machine is fun to watch as a spectator, and that's about it. Food options aren't exactly great either, in my experience.

As for Snake, it's a decently forceful ride, but quite unnerving. I think it's the combination of the height and the unpredictability. I'm usually fine with either, but combine the two, and it makes me uneasy. I'm glad I rode one, for the sake of doing something rare and different, but whilst I'd probably be up for re-riding one if I was with friends who also wanted to ride, I'd not go out of my way to ride another one otherwise.

Oh, and then there's the spinner. It was closed when we visited, so unfortunately the Skara Sommerland newbies all got spited, but who on earth though that putting spinning cars on what's basically a standard wild mouse layout was a good idea?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Hello again you...
Screenshot_20220816-193725_Photos.jpg

To be honest, seems a bit pointless finishing this now, Mushy's vlogs are up, the POV's are up, you know all about Skara and Liseberg and Pontus and the guided tour and all that stuff. There's not really much left to tell....

Or is there?

Did he, for example, talk about the creepy house we stayed in after Kolmarden? Or the last minute Pizza Hut dash? Or me having to sleep in the car... again? Or the fact that Mushy's snoring is the loudest noise in the known universe? No, no he did not, so allow me if you will to fill in some of the gaps.

Our digs for that night were in... you know what? I can't even remember where it was now. Jönköping? Norrköping? I'm not sure... but definitely one of the 'köpings. Weird little place it was, a seemingly deserted 'beach' resort type town, except the 'beach' was on the shores of a massive lake rather than the actual 'seaside'. It was getting dark as we arrived, cloudy and rainy, not a soul about and nothing was open. No hotel this time, but three apartments within a creepy old house, the creepy old house itself attached to two or three more creepy old houses all surrounding a gated courtyard. In the courtyard stood a single oak tree. In the oak tree, a solitary seagull screeched ominously and repeatedly, probably translating as "Keep away, run for your lives, save yourselves!"

Creepy apartment with a bed in the dining area 🤷‍♂️ :
Screenshot_20220813-200939_Messenger.jpg

Creepy stove:
Screenshot_20220813-200604_Facebook.jpg

Creepy... whatever this is:
Screenshot_20220813-200616_Facebook.jpg

Curiously, all three apartments contained a locked door that seemingly led to nowhere. Shortly after arrival, Lady Fingers said he heard mysterious organ music emanating from within the walls! 😮 At one point I got locked in the bog. Tell me, is there any panic like the panic you feel when you find yourself locked in a bog? Short of getting your hand or head stuck in something, no, I don't think there is.
And check this out, here is a picture of Tom with a mysterious, floating, ghostly pole through his head:
Screenshot_20220813-200952_Messenger.jpg

I'm no expert on the paranormal, but I've seen The Omen and I know that mysterious, floating, ghostly poles-through-heads appearing in photographs is never a good thing. A portent of impending doom if ever there was one.
In an attempt to ward off evil spirits, me and Tom captured the screeching seagull and sacrificed the feathery little f*** to the flames:
Screenshot_20220813-200920_Messenger.jpg

OK I made that bit up. It was pizza boxes.
Screenshot_20220813-210650_Messenger.jpg

See, we had to have pizza because, as I said earlier, nothing was open. For all intents and purposes, Sweden closes at 8pm on a Sunday. Everything - bars, pubs, restaurants - the lot. Between us we'd made several phone calls en route, various restaurants etc.. only to be greeted with the same response; "You'd like what? A table for ... excuse me, eight people? At this time of night? On a Sunday in the rain? Are you mad?"
After much faff we eventually found a Pizza Hut that was open... but they couldn't deliver, oh no, of course not, we had to go and fetch it. Well, when I say 'we', I mean 'me'. 🙄

Anyways, fed and watered, the group was happy again... ish.
Screenshot_20220728-195945_Photos.jpg

We even had pudding, vegan chocolate ice cream. It mght look like something that had been scooped up from the elephant enclosure back at Kolmarden, but it was actually alright:
Screenshot_20220813-200929_Messenger.jpg

And then, after a few more beers and a creepy game of cards, it was bedtime. A reasonably early night by our standards, a comfy bed and cooler temperatures meant that maybe, finally, I'd get a decent night's sleep.
Pah! Not a chance!
See, the sleeping arrangements were different here, instead of four twin rooms we had two 3's and a 2, which meant that Mushy bunked in with me and Delly P.
Oh my God, you ain't heard nothing like it in your life! I thought Tom's snoring was bad but Mushy takes it to a whole new level. Imagine the sound a grizzly bear makes when it's drowning in porridge, then take that sound and pump it through a Bowers & Wilkins hi fi at full blast and you'll be about half way there. We love you Mush, but holy crap, that's insane mate! 🤣
For a short while at least, there was a solution - Bluetooth earbuds. With some music playing you could just about drown out the racket and doze off but then, after about an hour, oh no, disaster strikes, batteries die on the earbuds and boom, I'm suddenly awoken to the sound of the drowning bear again. 🤦‍♂️
So now what? Try and sneak into one of the other apartments? No, can't, all locked. Besides, no more beds anyway. On the bathroom floor? No, can still hear him from in there just as loudly. Recharge the earbuds? Nope, left charging lead at home. Kill Mushy in his sleep? Tempting... but no, we needed him for the Liseberg tickets. In the end, desperate to get away from the noise, I grabbed a sheet and a pillow and marched across the street, in the rain, in my pants, and took refuge in the back of my trusty Jeep until morning. I'd already got some kip in the Jeep earlier that afternoon back at Kolmarden so I knew it could be done. It wasn't ideal, not particularly comfortable and a wee bit chilly... but the peace and quiet was blissful! 😁
I make that 4 nights in a row with very little sleep. Not bad for a bunch of old'uns ay? And besides, it's not like we had 2 parks and loads of driving to do the next day.
Oh wait...

Day 4. Skara Sommarland.
AKA The Snake and Trannan show.
Not bad for a small, regional park but there's really not much else here worthy of attention. I think the waterpark is the main attraction here to be honest, the amusement park side of Skara is not exactly extensive. Make no mistake, this park is the textbook definition of a 'cred run', worthy of no more than a couple of hours, tops. Some of us likened it to Pleasurewood Hills which should give you a rough idea of what it's like. But that's not to say we didn't enjoy it, there was some fun to be had and it's still a fairly pleasant place to be:

Screenshot_20220816-165721_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-170108_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-170141_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-170220_Photos.jpg

We hit Trannan first. I'm sure you know the drill here - it's weird, unusual, quirky, totally unique and mildly amusing because of said quirkiness but... yeah, it's just not very good. I know it's only a prototype and I do think the concept has potential but it does need a lot of refining. Fairly slow, not very thrilling and one or two very shonky turns mean this is little more than a one-and-done.
Screenshot_20220816-170309_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-172348_Photos.jpg

Next up was Snakey McSnakeface, the newest, most thrilling and easily the best ride in the park. I had to look this up, but apparently it's a 'Chaos Pendle' from Funtime Rides. A bit like a classic Booster ride but with this weird, double-pivot thing going on that really makes it look wonky and unbalanced:
Screenshot_20220816-180036_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-175920_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-180632_Facebook.jpg

I really liked it. One of the best things about visiting the smaller, more obscure parks is getting to try out these weird and wonderful ride types. I mean, let's face it, if this was at Cedar Point it'd be so far down the pecking order you'd never get round to it but here, where it's pretty much the star attraction, you're almost forced to give it a go, even if it's only to get your money's worth.
I thought it was fab! As you may have seen from previous comments, not everyone agreed. Much too scary for some delicate souls. 😉
To be fair, a sudden monsoon while we were riding probably didn't help:
Screenshot_20220816-181357_Photos.jpg

Seeing as we took refuge in the Trannan station (pretty much the only place in the area with a roof), it made sense to ride the other side once the rain had passed. OK so it's a two-and-done:
Screenshot_20220816-182746_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-192820_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-183222_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-192958_Facebook.jpg

They've got a JASSM here too (Just Another Sh**ty Spinning Mouse)...
Screenshot_20220816-190023_Photos.jpg
... but it was closed, so that saved us a chore. And that left us with only the mine train left to do:
Screenshot_20220816-192617_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220816-192503_Facebook.jpg

It was alright, but nothing memorable. +1.
And that, apart from a quick bite to eat, was Skara Sommarland. Told you it was just a cred run.

In the next and final part then, if I can be arsed, Liseberg.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Nope, not combined. Tom didn't make a sound (to begin with at least) and I was in the Jeep. That was all Mushy's work! 🤣
I didn't make a sound because I was awake until around 3am as well, tried everything to drown out the noise, I had to put on my over head headphones and listen to Pink! to actually get any sleep. Honestly, worst night's sleep I've ever had.
Still love the Mush though, no idea how Sue slept through it on the last night 😂

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yeah I was at Skara a few weeks ago too, pretty much because I wanted to try Tranan, but I also did the water park because Im a huge Proslide goon.
I think i stayed about 5 or so hours, not rushed at all.

Tranan just feels awkward. If you've ever ridden a whip, you'll know the feeling you get on the turns at the end

(The radius forces a sudden increase in velocity because you're now having to follow a longer path than the cable you were previously going the same speed as)

It's like that on Tranan, but the opposite is true too. On the inside of the turns it feels like you are hitting the brakes suddenly because you are following a shorter path than the actual vehicle on the track.

So it just feels weird and not flowing, you get pulled this way and that. But i still rode it like 5 or 6 times because we're literally never going to see one again.

Libby_Liz

Roller Poster
I didn't make a sound because I was awake until around 3am as well, tried everything to drown out the noise, I had to put on my over head headphones and listen to Pink! to actually get any sleep. Honestly, worst night's sleep I've ever had.
Still love the Mush though, no idea how Sue slept through it on the last night 😂
To be fair I was also woken up by Sue trying to Spiderman around the room rather than walk on the creaky floorboards 😆